AOC G2460PF

Associate
I noticed the other problem. PS I got another DP cable and now it is working fine, the one provided with my monitor is faulty.

I noticed big problem with colors. The thing is, the black shades of for instance wallpapers doesn't look smooth, its looks like steps, I can see all shades of gray/black. Also, some parts of the images look very noisy, like some sort of sharpness through sharpness is applied to the image, if you know what I mean.
I have tried latest official driver as well as the beta one, tried without freesync, tried 60,120, 144Hz modes. Returned monitor to default settings, installed latest graphics card drivers (I have R9 390X). Using DP (the one provided and one from 3rd party) cable or HDMI cable. I tried everything I could think of and the image is still very bad - its like it is in 16-bit color mode (its actually in 32).

Can somebody help me?
I don't think this can be fixed. I also had this, it's the nature of a crappy high-speed 6-bit TN panel. Also, running at 144Hz messes with the contrast which enhances the negative effect.

This panel is made purely for gaming, don't expect good colors from it.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought in the boxing day sale and due to arrive tomorrow, is it worth opening and setting up and playing about with or should it stay in it's box and return?

Just try it. You need to experience the smoothness delivered by high framerates and freesync for yourself. Just be sure to use the beta driver and icc profile from PCM.
Color reproduction isn't exactly stellar, but that's to be expected from a cheap 144Hz TN. With PCM's icc profile they're ok, only the dark shades are still disappointing.
For what I paid for it I'm happy with it. I could pay double or triple for a 1440p IPS but even those panels still have their issues.

Associate
This is my first venture into 1080p/144Hz/Freesync, I was looking for reasonably priced 24" 1080p screen to upgrade from my now very outdated 1680x1050 Dell 2209WA / 750ti set up and kinda jumped on this when I seen in the sale, am I going to regret this?

At the moment I'm playing mostly Battlefront, CSGO, Rocket League, H1Z1, TF2, Skyrim, all very casual gaming nothing serious or competitive.

Should probably also state that I bought the Asus Strix R9 380 4gb to go with this screen for freesync.

Thanks all.

I think comparing to your Dell 22" IPS monitor, the AOC monitor will look okay to you. At the moment I have my AOC monitor + LG IPS monitor and think the AOC looks good enough especially for its price and features (freesync, 144hz, etc). Obviously the viewing angles and colours of the AOC monitor is not as good as my LG monitor but I'd pick the AOC over it any day for the refresh rate and freesync since I game a lot on my PC.

Hopefully you don't experience any flickering problems and what not. From my experience everything seems to be working well with the monitor's beta driver (35-144hz freesync range) + latest AMD drivers.

*yay first post*

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I'm tempted to get this panel for my spare rig that will be using my old Power Color 280X OC, should I go for it or is there another sub £200 screen that I should look at?

Associate
Just try it. You need to experience the smoothness delivered by high framerates and freesync for yourself.

I think comparing to your Dell 22" IPS monitor, the AOC monitor will look okay to you. At the moment I have my AOC monitor + LG IPS monitor

Thanks for that guys, I think I will give it a go, if it doesn't work out I've got the 14 days to return it I suppose.

One other thing, especially for you noonoo12 as you suggest you are using dual screens - how's the power draw situation on 144Hz screens, I noticed a wee bit earlier on in the thread and elsewhere on the net that there was some mention of silly increase in power usage when using 144Hz over 120Hz and also some mention of if using dual screens, I intend to make the Dell screen my second monitor so along with this can I expect to see an insane power usage running them both with the AOC sitting on 144Hz?

Again thanks in advance.

Edit: will it matter what DP cable we use, are you guys using the one that came in the box, I take it's more than satisfactory?

Last edited:
Associate
I intend to make the Dell screen my second monitor so along with this can I expect to see an insane power usage running them both with the AOC sitting on 144Hz?

Edit: will it matter what DP cable we use, are you guys using the one that came in the box, I take it's more than satisfactory?

I cannot comment on the power draw. If you're worried, you can just set it to 120hz as 144hz is only a little bit smoother. I guess I have to wait for my next electricity bill lol.

Regarding the DP cable, I'm using the one that came in the box. I should add that I'm from Australia so the AOC G2460PF monitors here seem to be the latest batch with the latest firmware installed, etc since overdrive works with 144hz.

Associate
I'm running it at 120Hz on the desktop, because it doesn't really matter anyway and it's the easiest fix. But there are ways to adjust the 2D clocks on 144Hz if it bothers you.

Associate
Just received my monitor and am experiencing some difficulties. I've managed to install the new beta drivers and made some of the color corrections suggested and was pleasantly surprised with the results. However, I cannot get any game to run at above 60Hz. This might not be the best place to ask this but whenever I set the refresh rate in a game (Tested in Thief, GTA V and Far Cry 4), the edges of the screen go blue and the image slowly becomes corrupted. I was wondering if anyone could give me any clues as to what may be going wrong. Cheers :)

Associate
I noticed big problem with colors. The thing is, the black shades of for instance wallpapers doesn't look smooth, its looks like steps, I can see all shades of gray/black. Also, some parts of the images look very noisy, like some sort of sharpness through sharpness is applied to the image, if you know what I mean.
[...]its like it is in 16-bit color mode (its actually in 32).
I've just received mine today and i have exactly the same problem. I think i'm going to return this ****** screen to where it comes from.

Associate
Just received my monitor and am experiencing some difficulties. I've managed to install the new beta drivers and made some of the color corrections suggested and was pleasantly surprised with the results. However, I cannot get any game to run at above 60Hz. This might not be the best place to ask this but whenever I set the refresh rate in a game (Tested in Thief, GTA V and Far Cry 4), the edges of the screen go blue and the image slowly becomes corrupted. I was wondering if anyone could give me any clues as to what may be going wrong. Cheers :)

That's strange. Is your desktop set at 144hz and does it work there?

Associate
I'm running it at 120Hz on the desktop, because it doesn't really matter anyway and it's the easiest fix. But there are ways to adjust the 2D clocks on 144Hz if it bothers you.
What do you mean by "adjust 2D clocks on 144Hz"? I'm using the 120Hz because my 390X downclocks memory clock on 150MHz, but in 144 mode it runs at 1500MHz which causes it to heat and fans are spinning then.

What cable are you using?

Associate
What cable are you using?

The DisplayPort one that came with the monitor. I saw that a few people were having difficulties with the cables that came with it. I don't think it's that though as the desktop runs fine at 144hz. Just tried doing a clean install of the last catalyst drivers to see if they changed anything and there was no difference. It's really odd, the issue only ever occurs if I change the refresh rate in game. If it defaults to 144hz it works flawlessly, but changing between 60hz and 144hz for example causes the monitor to do the aforementioned blue edges then crash. Appreciate any help anyone can offer, not really sure what to do at this point. Really enjoying the monitor when it works however, really don't want to have to RMA the thing.

Last edited:
Associate
Is everyone here using a custom ICM/ICC profile for colour calibration? If so, use this CPKeeper if you have problems with some games resetting your calibration -
http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

A lot of games would reset the colour profile and I would always have to set/apply the custom profile again. This program actually locks the profile which is nice ;). The hardware calibration / screen colours is probably my only con with this monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just received mine today and i have exactly the same problem. I think i'm going to return this ****** screen to where it comes from.

this is the freesync display corruption, which can be temporary fixed by alt tabbing back and forward a few times or by pressing alt and enter a few times, to swap between full screen and windowed full screen. hopefully it will be fixed, however i am not sure if it will at this point.

edit: if you turn of freesync, you will notice that it does not happen.

Associate
So gave mine a whirl last night, done fresh install of Windows 10 at same time rather than messing about with old nvidia drivers and new AMD drivers and it pretty much all seems to be ok at the moment. Like others have mentioned the colours are definitely lacking to begin with and do look a little 'washed out', but with some adjustment they now look fine. Quite pleasantly surprised by AMD drivers these days, the Radeon Settings - Crimson drivers are quite nice and intuitive compared with when I last used ATI years ago and the CCC.

One small issue was that things weren't playing correctly when I stuck the screen onto 144Hz Freesync on but i'm hoping that when I install the monitor drivers that will sort that out. Put the screen onto 120Hz and everything was dandy.

Just 2 wee things...

Am I correct in saying that the driver that is available on the AOC website is now good to go for the full Hz range or should I still be using the beta driver that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

What exactly is the purpose of the 'Overdrive' feature? Am I correct in thinking it adjusts the response time of the screen? If so what setting should I really be looking to have it set at, have just left it at medium for the moment.

Cheers guys.

Associate
this is the freesync display corruption, which can be temporary fixed by alt tabbing back and forward a few times or by pressing alt and enter a few times, to swap between full screen and windowed full screen. hopefully it will be fixed, however i am not sure if it will at this point.

I was talking about the black shades, it does not come from FreeSync but the panel itself.

I don't know if the Acer XF240Hbmjdpr or the Iiyama GB2488HSU-B2 have a better panel...

Or should i better go with an IPS panel like the Acer XG270HU? Except that the price is x2...

Associate

Thanks for such a clear and concise response. You seem to be exactly right. Do you have any links or references to where people are talking about this? I'd like to try and keep up with it in the hopes it gets fixed. I'm guessing the problem is on AMDs end if it affects Freesync in general. Thanks a lot

Associate
No problem. It was the first thing I noticed when I brought the monitor and was discussed earlier in this thread. It was beeing discussed on reddit to, where the op over there came into this thread in response to one of my posts. The best thing to do is for everyone to report it to amd via the official reporting method. The more people reporting the issue means the more chance it will be resolved :)

Back
Top Bottom