AORUS AD27QD

Caporegime
For a start not everyone prioritises imagage fidelity over fps, lots of people see the attraction of utter smoothness (esp when combined with a blur reduction mode).

Not everyone is the same, hence their being quite a healthy market for these 240hz panels.

Permabanned
Well please feel free to explain

See the kd25f thread by VF or my post on DSR. You do not need 240fps from my experience as long as you stay above 120hz it feels amazing and from there up becomes surreal. It is about blur reduction also 240hz 0.5ms is a MINIMUM requirement to get anywhere close to strobing levels of low blur like ULMB or ELMB. But you lost gsync or freesync to do it so brure force was the only way until the very recent ELMB which allows both. So brute force 240hz is simply amazing in that you have surreal smoothness with nearly no motion blur and maximum efficency with rendering pixels as they do not become smeared with movements.

If the game has MSAA and MFAA support like Source games it is the same sharpness as a 1440p 27inch. But crucially 1080p remains the only single resolution that can native shrink 4k 1:1 to 1080p with DSR. So you can actually get a much better image than any monitor apart from a native 4k panel simply because you can do 4k DSR. Thats why its got appeal its supreme flexibility to choose between 1080p 240hz 4k 240hz 4k 120hz as gaming options with a really amazing image quality. Its the same PPI as 1440p 27inch 91 v 102 ish and 4k 55inch is about 95ppi also.

Soldato
I can only assume G-Sync compatible stuff.
I have not idea what it means. It's a freesync monitor so I wouldn't assume that.

----------------------
Update include:
1. Multi-language option optimized.
2. Optimizations for latest games.

How do you like the monitor so far?
I'm having a blast wiith it in twitch shooters and I'm still on balance overdrive. Stop using Fast do to AMD's use of Radeon Anti Lag.

I did have trouble using the provided DP as it wouldn't upscale to 4k properly. I had to get a Vesa certified DP and everything started working correctly. Biggest difference was using Super Resolution. Now I see a difference. With the new cable I can see it's not Sharpening. With cable provided with the monitor it looks like sharpening when used. Not sure why that is.

My only concern is the fact that you cannot select hertz within the OSD. You have to go through win10 to do it. Would be nice to change it through OSD. Any monitors that actually do that?

Last edited:
Associate
I have not idea what it means. It's a freesync monitor so I wouldn't assume that.

----------------------

How do you like the monitor so far?
I'm having a blast wiith it in twitch shooters and I'm still on balance overdrive. Stop using Fast do to AMD's use of Radeon Anti Lag.

I did have trouble using the provided DP as it wouldn't upscale to 4k properly. I had to get a Vesa certified DP and everything started working correctly. Biggest difference was using Super Resolution. Now I see a difference. With the new cable I can see it's not Sharpening. With cable provided with the monitor it looks like sharpening when used. Not sure why that is.

My only concern is the fact that you cannot select hertz within the OSD. You have to go through win10 to do it. Would be nice to change it through OSD. Any monitors that actually do that?

Yeah, i'm really liking it so far. Glow and bleed isn't an issue. Im not saying that there isn't any, there probably is, but with it calibrated properly it's not a problem when the brightness is cranked down. No dead pixels and panel uniformity looks fine, not perfect, but it's fine. Manufacturer date was May 2019, so fairly recent.

Calibrated at 10Bit and 8Bit. Currently using 10Bit at 120Hz.

Gamma i've turned off, it tracks closer than Gamma 3 for some reason?

Other than that it's fine. Was a bit weary of spending that much on a monitor when all I've seen is people complain about QC, but after the MSI nightmare i just though meh!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, i'm really liking it so far. Glow and bleed isn't an issue. Im not saying that there isn't any, there probably is, but with it calibrated properly it's not a problem when the brightness is cranked down. No dead pixels and panel uniformity looks fine, not perfect, but it's fine. Manufacturer date was May 2019, so fairly recent.

Calibrated at 10Bit and 8Bit. Currently using 10Bit at 120Hz.

Gamma i've turned off, it tracks closer than Gamma 3 for some reason?

Other than that it's fine. Was a bit weary of spending that much on a monitor when all I've seen is people complain about QC, but after the MSI nightmare i just though meh!

Yeah, in order to keep 10bit you have to lower it to 120hz.
You turned Gamma off? I just tried that myself and there is very little difference??? Is that working right?

Do you have an Radeon or Geforce card?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, in order to keep 10bit you have to lower it to 120hz.
You turned Gamma off? I just tried that myself and there is very little difference??? Is that working right?

Do you have an Radeon or Geforce card?

Yeah. It tracks closer to the 2.2 Curve at the lower brightness. Gamma 3 tracks closer to 2.3/2.4

I've got a 1070 Strix

Associate
For a start not everyone prioritises imagage fidelity over fps, lots of people see the attraction of utter smoothness (esp when combined with a blur reduction mode).

Not everyone is the same, hence their being quite a healthy market for these 240hz panels.
If you're ordering an ips panel,then clearly the buyer cares about image quality.240hz panels are a very niche market.

Soldato
If you want a proper calibration you need to get a device to do it. Each panel is different so no to settings will be the same. It's just a rough ballpark guide

Sure-sure. I have a Sypder that can do it. But for me I've not used Adobe apps in a long time where I would need to do that though. I still cringe using their "online service now" but hey they got me to kick the habit. LOL. I digress though...

If you're ordering an ips panel,then clearly the buyer cares about image quality.240hz panels are a very niche market.

Aren't 240Hz monitors Tn panels? I've not seen many IPS versions.

Soldato
Most minor of complaints I know, but has anyone else’s Auros badge on the front come unstuck? I think I’m gonna have to glue mine on.
LOOOOOOOOOOL
ME TOOO!

Yeah it came off. No biggie I used a clean cloth and some clear hand sanitizer to clean the plastic and cleaned the back of the Aorus badge's adhesive part. It was off for about a week and I noticed crusties on the back of the aorus badge. It's been on for about a week now and it hasn't falled off.

Apparently the plastic that it sticks on wasn't squeaky clean.

Associate
Sure-sure. I have a Sypder that can do it. But for me I've not used Adobe apps in a long time where I would need to do that though. I still cringe using their "online service now" but hey they got me to kick the habit. LOL. I digress though...

Aren't 240Hz monitors Tn panels? I've not seen many IPS versions.

You might as well give the spyder a go with DisplayCal. Nothing to lose really, plus you'll be able to see output reports/verification reports etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do you really need to calibrate your monitor for general use?

Probably not if you've never seen a calibrated screen but if you have... Everything else always looks yucky once you've been accustomed to a calibrated picture. From blue-ish/magenta tint to horrid sunburnt/yellow/brownish tones.

Then most people have gotten so used to high vibrance that they freak out to natural colour because they think it now looks dull.

Associate
Probably not if you've never seen a calibrated screen but if you have... Everything else always looks yucky once you've been accustomed to a calibrated picture. From blue-ish/magenta tint to horrid sunburnt/yellow/brownish tones.

Then most people have gotten so used to high vibrance that they freak out to natural colour because they think it now looks dull.

Tbh, the Monitor isn't that bad out the box. The panel itself is very colour accurate.

Associate
Here's my calibration report.

D65 and Gamma 2.2

Brightness - 20
Gamma - 3
R - 97
G - 95
B - 100

I've got two slightly cooler patches on the screen (Top left and top right) so the uniformity isn't spot on, but, my eyes will no doubt adjust eventually!

AiPM7TZ.jpg
AiPM7TZ

kYJsb78.jpg

Soldato
Most minor of complaints I know, but has anyone else’s Auros badge on the front come unstuck? I think I’m gonna have to glue mine on.
Did you try rubbing alcohol to clean it and put it back on yet?
You have to be careful I think that small hole in the middle is where the mic is.

You might as well give the spyder a go with DisplayCal. Nothing to lose really, plus you'll be able to see output reports/verification reports etc.

I may eventually.

Back
Top Bottom