Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Interesting that the only screen option for the X9 is (AFAICT) the QHD.

I wish there was a QHD option on the X5 MD. I use the X7 DT as a daily driver mobile workstation and as a games machine at night, and it's great, but heavy. If the X5 MD hadn't been saddled with an (admittedly gorgeous) 4K screen it couldn't drive adequately, I'd have kept that and not been breaking my back every day :)

Soldato
The above is exactly why I actually got an v6 over v7 x5,

The v6 had a 1080p 120hz gsync screen to pair with the 1070. Perfect for laptop gaming. The v7 iirc only had 4K and 1440 but neither were high refresh.

Shame as a thunderbolt port would have been really nice to have.

Soldato
Have just sent this message to Aorus, as i seem to keep getting vague or no answers to some of my questions.

*Classification: Technical
Product Category: Laptop
Model Name: X5 v6
BIOS Ver.: FB04
Serial No.: GGK8C2111A0022
Purchase Dealer: Overclockers uk (OCUK)
Operating System: Win 10 64-bitSP Creators update
Question:

Hi Aorus, i have a few questions regarding my Laptop that i have had for a couple of months now.

I will start with the simpler questions first.

#1 Is it possible for me to buy a second power brick/cable from you? It would be very convenient having two.

#2 Is less of a question and more of an observation. When my laptop arrived the keyboard wasn't exactly perfect, there are several switches that don't activate unless the keycap is hit perfectly centred. This continued to occur after updating the keyboards firmware so im sure it's a hardware issue, however i can just about live with it. ( shame given that it cost me over £2000 however i would expect it to be perfect but i will be in trouble not having a system whilst having it repaired )

#3 is my primary reason for contacting you today and something i find very concerning. It is regarding gaming whilst on battery power. In your testing is the device actually capable of this? i ask as the system runs flawlessly when on mains power. However when i try to play anything at all on battery power it becomes completely unplayable (15-23fps) i have made sure all of the power options/battery boost are set optimally for performance whilst gaming on battery. Upon deeper digging into this it seemed to be a power delivery issue causing the cpu to massively throttle. Is this something that a better battery could solve? As one of the main points of a gaming laptop surely, is to be able to play some games on the go even if they are capped at 60fps and lowered settings a little to accommodate the battery. But for anything to play like complete garbage seems a little unreasonable to me.

I love the Aorus brand really i think it's great. But i really would like more from a device i have spent so much money on.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Harry

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Have just sent this message to Aorus, as i seem to keep getting vague or no answers to some of my questions.

*Classification: Technical
Product Category: Laptop
Model Name: X5 v6
BIOS Ver.: FB04
Serial No.: GGK8C2111A0022
Purchase Dealer: Overclockers uk (OCUK)
Operating System: Win 10 64-bitSP Creators update
Question:

Hi Aorus, i have a few questions regarding my Laptop that i have had for a couple of months now.

I will start with the simpler questions first.

#1 Is it possible for me to buy a second power brick/cable from you? It would be very convenient having two.

#2 Is less of a question and more of an observation. When my laptop arrived the keyboard wasn't exactly perfect, there are several switches that don't activate unless the keycap is hit perfectly centred. This continued to occur after updating the keyboards firmware so im sure it's a hardware issue, however i can just about live with it. ( shame given that it cost me over £2000 however i would expect it to be perfect but i will be in trouble not having a system whilst having it repaired )

#3 is my primary reason for contacting you today and something i find very concerning. It is regarding gaming whilst on battery power. In your testing is the device actually capable of this? i ask as the system runs flawlessly when on mains power. However when i try to play anything at all on battery power it becomes completely unplayable (15-23fps) i have made sure all of the power options/battery boost are set optimally for performance whilst gaming on battery. Upon deeper digging into this it seemed to be a power delivery issue causing the cpu to massively throttle. Is this something that a better battery could solve? As one of the main points of a gaming laptop surely, is to be able to play some games on the go even if they are capped at 60fps and lowered settings a little to accommodate the battery. But for anything to play like complete garbage seems a little unreasonable to me.

I love the Aorus brand really i think it's great. But i really would like more from a device i have spent so much money on.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Harry

Hi harry5522,

Can you please let us know where you have posted/sent the above communication to, we can then follow up on the points we can't answer right now.

1) - yes it is possible to purchase additional AC Adapter - please contact our service partner:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Crown House Bridgewater Close Burnley Lancashire England BB11 5TE
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

2) - If you feel the keyboard isn't functioning correctly, please also discuss this with Service Partner and request replacement of the keyboard.

3) - We will speak with technical on this topic.

OK - so please confirm:

"please check user Battery mode is setting is in "performance mode", and fan control is setting in "gaming mode".... also is GPU & CPU set to Over clocking mode?

Please confirm, and if not in that profile, please set this way and check if improves performance.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi harry5522,

Can you please let us know where you have posted/sent the above communication to, we can then follow up on the points we can't answer right now.

1) - yes it is possible to purchase additional AC Adapter - please contact our service partner:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Crown House Bridgewater Close Burnley Lancashire England BB11 5TE
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

2) - If you feel the keyboard isn't functioning correctly, please also discuss this with Service Partner and request replacement of the keyboard.

3) - We will speak with technical on this topic.

OK - so please confirm:

"please check user Battery mode is setting is in "performance mode", and fan control is setting in "gaming mode".... also is GPU & CPU set to Over clocking mode?

Please confirm, and if not in that profile, please set this way and check if improves performance.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Thanks for the email for the AC adapter, i will get in touch shortly and discuss the power brick/keyboard.

I emailed via technical support on the Aorus website.

regarding 3, the battery mode is in performance and fan control is on gaming. The GPU is overclocked by 140mhz on the core and nothing on the memory. The CPU has been set to the 4ghz profile via the Command and control software.

I will make a video shortly with all the information that could possibly be needed and hopefully get it rendered/uploaded some point on the weekend.

Soldato
I got impatient and ordered myself an X7 DT v7 :D

I've also ordered myself a 1tb SSD. Whats the best / easiest way of moving the recovery partition on to the new drive or a USB?

Thanks.

The bundled software i think comes with a backup utility for this. ( i just checked on the driver update tool and there is a system backup tool in their so i would recommend that you just use that :) )

Associate
@harry5522

I use nvidia whisper mode to control GPU clocks on battery and have the C&C set at level 1 for both CPU and GPU.

And I get a reasonably solid 60fps in FC4 (ultra setting) without throttling:

o081uEy.png

Try these settings and see if it works for you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi @MiSJAH I dont have FC4 but i have just tried these settings with the division, destiny 2, and KHOLAT. in all of them i sit at 25-30fps in game fan profile, cpu and gpu set to level 1. However i notice a large difference in our core clocks on the gpu. Mine is locking at 1443mhz and is always at 100% usage. I have tried this with max settings and minimum settings in the game even lowering the resolution to 720p and same results.

Associate
Hi @MiSJAH I dont have FC4 but i have just tried these settings with the division, destiny 2, and KHOLAT. in all of them i sit at 25-30fps in game fan profile, cpu and gpu set to level 1. However i notice a large difference in our core clocks on the gpu. Mine is locking at 1443mhz and is always at 100% usage. I have tried this with max settings and minimum settings in the game even lowering the resolution to 720p and same results.

Have you got Geforce Experience installed and the latest driver? Did you activate 'whisper mode' in geforce experience? and did you change battery boost in gf experience to 60fps quality?

QFYDNTA.png

Associate
I have the 2TB 960 in my X7 DT V7-CF2 and it's perfect (in addition to the drive it came with) My invoice says "HD-22L-SA Samsung 960 PRO Polaris 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive".

I also replaced the 1TB HDD with a 2TB 850 Evo. All fine.

I sometimes regret not having bought the CF1 though. What I really wanted of course was an IPS QHD 144Hz panel :) Given the price differential and the relative benefits of the two options, I'd advise you to think very carefully about that.

HTH

Did your bios find your 960 drive without issues?

The laptop can find the 960 drive in windows using Aomei partition master, but the bios can’t detect it at all. I’ve tried everything I can think of and was wondering if there is something I’m missing? Thanks.

Associate
Is the x7 DT V7 w/ 1080 being phased out? Seems to be less and less stock around but an increase in the 1070 versions. Is this to coincide with the X9 launch / pre order? Would already have one but OcUK and the other one don't accept PayPal credit like most other places. Must be an agreement with V12 or something who I won't use. Hitachi were much better imo. Still waiting patiently to get back to the UK next week to get a new laptop hopefully

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Is the x7 DT V7 w/ 1080 being phased out? Seems to be less and less stock around but an increase in the 1070 versions. Is this to coincide with the X9 launch / pre order? Would already have one but OcUK and the other one don't accept PayPal credit like most other places. Must be an agreement with V12 or something who I won't use. Hitachi were much better imo. Still waiting patiently to get back to the UK next week to get a new laptop hopefully

Hi davisdavid, No the X7 DT V7 isn't being phased out, there is more stock on way to the UK as we speak. Demand has been strong, hence the stock out situations, but the model remains current although the supply is limited.

X9 should also start arriving next week.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi,

Can anyone please advise if there have had an issue with Aorus X7 DT cf2 display. I switch on my laptop few days ago and can get no display, I've tried even connecting cable to external monitor and get nothing.

I only brought it in September 2017 so quite angry it could fail soo soon and spending large $ sum on this laptop!

Is there a reset process anyone can suggest. I can't even go into bios. It's completely blank screen :(

Overclockers said I have to log it with mendIt.

Mike

Soldato
Hi,

Can anyone please advise if there have had an issue with Aorus X7 DT cf2 display. I switch on my laptop few days ago and can get no display, I've tried even connecting cable to external monitor and get nothing.

I only brought it in September 2017 so quite angry it could fail soo soon and spending large $ sum on this laptop!

Is there a reset process anyone can suggest. I can't even go into bios. It's completely blank screen :(

Overclockers said I have to log it with mendIt.

Mike

Hi Mike, does the laptop do anything at all when you power it on? does the keyboard/Power button light up? or does it just seem to be dead entirely?

Soldato
It appears to start as the keyboard lights start and I can hear windows login chime but nothing on display

Okay Mike :) Good to hear that the main system is still functioning. Can you do me a solid and turn the system on and wait until you think it's in windows. Then hold the FN button and F6.

For reference that is a shortcut to turn of the display. I think this also toggles external displays too.

Back
Top Bottom