Apollo / Reddit app, API shenanigans.

str

str

Soldato
Has Twitter done the same thing with its API?

Evidence is, discontinued v1.x API customers were willing to pay for example $2K for 2M reads/month but they're locked out. Pro access is $5K/month for reading 1M tweets. Enterprise access starts at $42K/month for 50M.

Reddit want $12K per 50M API requests. A quote from Apollo:
Apollo made 7 billion requests last month, which would put it at about 1.7 million dollars per month, or 20 million US dollars per year.

Soldato
All sounds similar to Musk monetizing twitter API ? which I thought was used by business & educational research.

I only use forums on desktop (eyesight issue), so this doesn't affect me directly,
I too only use it on PC where it/reddit looks fine (with ublock too)
- trying to interact with reddit, even OC, via a phone is inefficient, you can't scan posts quickly and understand context.

Soldato
While I don't agree with the pricing increase or the horrible way they treated the Apollo dev but man I am looking forward to seeing Reddit crumble. It's been absolutely awful for a long time and a lot of the users need to leave for it to get better

Soldato
What a good alternative to Reddit though?
I like some of the more random smaller groups on it, can often be the best place to get ansewers to technical questions or feedback.

Do we go back to Digg?...loooool.

Last edited:
Soldato
had reddit already licensed it's data to openAI&co ? if they were mining it below cost like for twitter then that does seem a valid concern to lock api
He had learned of a relationship between OpenAI, the start-up behind the popular chatbot ChatGPT, and Twitter, which he had bought in October for $44 billion. OpenAI was licensing Twitter’s data — a feed of every tweet — for about $2 million a year to help build ChatGPT, two people with knowledge of the matter said. Mr. Musk believed the A.I. start-up wasn’t paying Twitter enough, they said.
So Mr. Musk cut OpenAI off from Twitter’s data, they said.

Associate
What a good alternative to Reddit though?
I like some of the more random smaller groups on it, can often be the best place to get ansewers to technical questions or feedback.

Do we go back to Digg?...loooool.
I hope there's another rise in 'forums' again. I remember from about 2004-2011 spending an unhealthy amount of time swapping between varying football, gaming and PC build forums.

Does everyone remember the BBC's 606 forums? I remember when they got killed off it created a huge amount of forums that started off the back of that.

Associate
I hope there's another rise in 'forums' again. I remember from about 2004-2011 spending an unhealthy amount of time swapping between varying football, gaming and PC build forums.

Does everyone remember the BBC's 606 forums? I remember when they got killed off it created a huge amount of forums that started off the back of that.
Me too I prefer forums to discord, facebook, etc. i've used them off/on since 1999.

Soldato
I've not looked into the entire issue but it's obviously popped up on the websites etc I visit...

I can understand reddit wanting money from AI, everyone wants a piece of that pie... you just need to look at Nvidia on that one lol. The daft thing is this might end up being a heavier 'cost' on reddit when they just shift their tools to physically scrape the site instead of the API's....
I can understand the moderators etc of reddit being annoyed when they're basically doing everything for free and don't really have the tools direct from reddit. Not to mention it's not like the content is paid for, it's all user generated... reddit is essentially a huge forum.
I can understand the stance from the app developers... they don't have access to the latest API that reduces calls and they seem prepared to pay if the the pricing structure was more in line with other sites.... at the same time I do wonder why they have such high numbers of calls etc...the app shouldn't really be making much more impact than a user browsing a webpage....
What I can't understand is why the **** did they let the idiot in charge (or a copy paste person) do the AMA and make everything worse....
I'd like to hope that no one in their right mind (although it's investors so...) is going to jump in early and overpay when they go public, it's clearly going to be over valued.....oh and clearly reddit does make money because the idiot from the AMA is worth millions....
Has reddit not been keeping up with the impact on the value of twitter when they basically go and change everything to 'get rich' or in the case of twitter whatever Elon is doing with it.

From a personal perspective, I don't use reddit enough to sign up for an account.... I hate the fact I can't sort without logging in, seriously are they that desperate for users, I hate the fact that on the rare occasion I use reddit on my phone it's basically begging me to use their tracking and ad laden app (um nope) and now I learn (from this thread) the work around of using old.reddit is ending, it's useful when someone labels something nsfw when it's not nsfw....

Got to be honest though, I'm in the primarily forum user group, I don't use facebook (I have a login for instagram only), I don't use twitter, I use instagram but that's purely to keep up on new releases from watch brands and I don't use discord either.... I'm sure there will be a replacement pop up for reddit, which itself was a replacement for iirc digg...

Back
Top Bottom