Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Soldato
You could try running one from the motherboard's CPU header just to be sure that it's the fans that are problematic rather than the Aquaero. It'd be unusual for all those fans to be faulty - not impossible, they'll be a batch.

Associate
You could try running one from the motherboard's CPU header just to be sure that it's the fans that are problematic rather than the Aquaero. It'd be unusual for all those fans to be faulty - not impossible, they'll be a batch.

Will try that now, back in a bit.

Soldato
I'd suggest there may be an incompatibility with the PWM implementation between the fans and the Aquaero....except Mikey_C has those fans running on an Aquaero. Odd. Try a motherboard header to be certain the fans are faulty rather than just incompatible.

Associate
I'd suggest there may be an incompatibility with the PWM implementation between the fans and the Aquaero....except Mikey_C has those fans running on an Aquaero. Odd. Try a motherboard header to be certain the fans are faulty rather than just incompatible.

Mine are the 2000rpm versions so slightly different.

Soldato
Same with a single fan? Just trying to rule out the splitter. Is it the one that has a molex connection as well as the fan headers? Does it make any difference if you do/don't use that? The Aquaero doesn't need that to provide enough power.

Unless there's something really dodgy about your PSU (and I can't see anything else being stable were that the case) it's got to be the fans. Someone shout if they can see any other possible cause. Unusual though as Noctua are usually very reliable.

Associate
Same with a single fan? Just trying to rule out the splitter. Is it the one that has a molex connection as well as the fan headers? Does it make any difference if you do/don't use that? The Aquaero doesn't need that to provide enough power.

Unless there's something really dodgy about your PSU (and I can't see anything else being stable were that the case) it's got to be the fans. Someone shout if they can see any other possible cause. Unusual though as Noctua are usually very reliable.

The splitter has no extra power input. My power supply is a evga p2 and its great, highly unlikely to be that as the bequiet fans are 100% silent.

With one fan connected it still buzzes.

Just tested another fan on the A6 and that's silent also (Akasa Apache Black PWM)

Associate
No idea, maybe. Not sure if I want try try another batch to find out its normal for this fan. Rather get something else. But what?

Soldato
The BeQuiet fans are for something else? Do they need to be a particular colour? LEDs?
The Corsair ML140's are supposed to be good and the dual packs (no LEDs) aren't horribly priced. Their SP120's were excellent but the SP140's were not.

Associate
The BeQuiet fans are for something else? Do they need to be a particular colour? LEDs?
The Corsair ML140's are supposed to be good and the dual packs (no LEDs) aren't horribly priced. Their SP120's were excellent but the SP140's were not.

No the be quiet were from this build but I want fans that have a higher static pressure designed for rads. My case is pretty restrictive so need stronger fans.

I have been looking at the ml fans. Unfortunately though dual pack isn't for the pro version so I would have to purchase them separately.

Looking at reviews now.

No leds are required and would prefer black. Can't have the poo brown noctuas.

Associate
Have you looked at EK's Vardars? The F3 is all black, does 2000rpm and is the extended range (ER) version that will go down to 25% PWM duty cycle. Does just over 3mm H2O static pressure at full pelt but you'd probably not want the full 40dB at full speed - hence the speed control.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-vardar-f3-140er-2000rpm-wc-871-ek.html

Yes did look into the vardars but have herd they buzz and vibrate. Was looking at the f2's as that would be enough.

You can only see one of my fans so maybe I could use 5 brown noctuas and one bequiet but just unsure if they will sound the same?

Soldato
I've got a couple of Vardars but not on a PC. I have an under-stairs server cupboard with a 140ER as pull intake through ducting from in the kitchen under the oven and through a vent.
And a 120 Furious Varder (3000rpm) as push exhaust through ducting through a 13" thick 'external' wall into the utility room.
Got them for the static pressure. They run with an inch thick wooden door shut and they're turned down to 1600rpm and 2200rpm. Wouldn't say they're silent at that speed but there are other fans in the cupboard (server, router, PBX, switches) and it's not really noticible. Definitely not had any buzzing when running them off an Aquaero 6.

Nothing stopping you running different fans on the same bank. Only issue to be aware of is that if they're identical the tacho running off one of them is going to be representative of the speed of all of them. Similarly if you control the speed (either voltage or PWM) then identical fans are going to run at about the same speed. This won't be the case for different fans...but it may not make that much difference to you.
When you have multiple fans next to each other on a rad, you will get an effect called beating as they run at similar but slightly different speeds. As they drift in and out of phase they will either interfere constructively (sound louder) or destructively (quieter) so you do get the sound level going up and down. It's annoying but there's not much you can do (someone please tell me if I'm wrong here!) apart from turn the speed down so there's less noise in the first place. A dissimilar fan may make that effect better or worse, you'd have to try it with a bank of BeQuiet's and the Apache - preferably in situ. To be honest, it depends on you more than anything. Fan noise is really subjective and as you make one thing quieter you start hearing something else. It's what I call the inverse Deep Purple effect - everything quieter than everything else!
This is the reason I've just watercooled my wife's PC as she shares the office with me.

Edit: Did check the FF5-120 Furious Varder which has a minimum of 40% duty cycle. If set to 40% it does seem to run at around 40% of max - which isn't always the case with PWM stuff. It also stays at that speed if you set it to 25%.

Associate
Mine are the 2000rpm versions so slightly different.

I thought you were looking at the 3000RPM ones ?

If you did go with the 2000RPM variant then they are the same as mine.

The part code is NF-A14 PPC 2000PWM

I have 5 of them and they are all fine run either on DC at 800RPM or PWM at 500RPM.

Associate
I've got a couple of Vardars but not on a PC. I have an under-stairs server cupboard with a 140ER as pull intake through ducting from in the kitchen under the oven and through a vent.
And a 120 Furious Varder (3000rpm) as push exhaust through ducting through a 13" thick 'external' wall into the utility room.
Got them for the static pressure. They run with an inch thick wooden door shut and they're turned down to 1600rpm and 2200rpm. Wouldn't say they're silent at that speed but there are other fans in the cupboard (server, router, PBX, switches) and it's not really noticible. Definitely not had any buzzing when running them off an Aquaero 6.

Nothing stopping you running different fans on the same bank. Only issue to be aware of is that if they're identical the tacho running off one of them is going to be representative of the speed of all of them. Similarly if you control the speed (either voltage or PWM) then identical fans are going to run at about the same speed. This won't be the case for different fans...but it may not make that much difference to you.
When you have multiple fans next to each other on a rad, you will get an effect called beating as they run at similar but slightly different speeds. As they drift in and out of phase they will either interfere constructively (sound louder) or destructively (quieter) so you do get the sound level going up and down. It's annoying but there's not much you can do (someone please tell me if I'm wrong here!) apart from turn the speed down so there's less noise in the first place. A dissimilar fan may make that effect better or worse, you'd have to try it with a bank of BeQuiet's and the Apache - preferably in situ. To be honest, it depends on you more than anything. Fan noise is really subjective and as you make one thing quieter you start hearing something else. It's what I call the inverse Deep Purple effect - everything quieter than everything else!
This is the reason I've just watercooled my wife's PC as she shares the office with me.

Edit: Did check the FF5-120 Furious Varder which has a minimum of 40% duty cycle. If set to 40% it does seem to run at around 40% of max - which isn't always the case with PWM stuff. It also stays at that speed if you set it to 25%.

If I ran the brown noctuas and one bequiet the bequiet would have its own separate channel so could be individually controller. This single fan wouldn't be on a rad either. I think I'm edging towards the corsairs tbh.

That's the problem with my pc its so quiet, the loudest thing is the hdd's. Especially at 2.30am like last night!! I notice any little change in sound and it does my head in.

I'm just put of the vardars from the user comments people have made about he buzzing etc.

Associate
I thought you were looking at the 3000RPM ones ?

If you did go with the 2000RPM variant then they are the same as mine.

The part code is NF-A14 PPC 2000PWM

I have 5 of them and they are all fine run either on DC at 800RPM or PWM at 500RPM.

No it's always been the 2000rpm ones mate. Can you not hear anything with your ear right up near the fan?

Soldato
The last Noctuas I had are obsolete now. Still running fine though and pretty quiet through a rad.

HDD noise: SSDs for the win! Failing that, iSCSI to a disk array in your under-stairs cupboard - everyone's got one, right? ;)

Associate
The last Noctuas I had are obsolete now. Still running fine though and pretty quiet through a rad.

HDD noise: SSDs for the win! Failing that, iSCSI to a disk array in your under-stairs cupboard - everyone's got one, right? ;)

I need 3tb of ssd to replace them. It will happen. Just need to sort these fans first.

Back
Top Bottom