Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Soldato
You can, as long as the pump draws power from molex plug. If it draws power from the PWM connector and is more than 20 Watts, you'd need the Aquaero 6.
Difference between LT versions is just that it doesn't have the screen. Cheaper and does everything the full version does but only controllable with software - still runs pre-programmed curves even if software isn't working or Windows not running though.

Associate
You can, as long as the pump draws power from molex plug. If it draws power from the PWM connector and is more than 20 Watts, you'd need the Aquaero 6.
Difference between LT versions is just that it doesn't have the screen. Cheaper and does everything the full version does but only controllable with software - still runs pre-programmed curves even if software isn't working or Windows not running though.
Perfect, thanks a lot, it's going in a modded in-win 303 so no need for a screen anyway.
Cheers,

Soldato
I actually have a d5 pwm pump which i replaced with a vario, so if a got an aquaero 5, could I have the 3 voltage control channels running the 3 fan channels I need and then the pwm channel running the pwm pump?
D5 Vario seem to max at 23W so that would be at limit of Aquaero 5.
aquaero 5: Maximum output power is 19.8 W (1.65 A at 12 V) for each channel.
https://aquacomputer.de/tl_files/aquacomputer/downloads/manuals/aquaero_5_6_en_2016_10_14.pdf

Aquaero 6 was designed to run them straight:

Soldato
I'm trying to configure an emergency shutdown if the CPU goes above a certain temperature. I can't seem to get it working, the only way I can trigger a shutdown is to set an action for keyboard power key but if there's open apps then it just hangs on the shutdown screen.

I've tried setting it to run as administrator, but then it doesn't open the app on Windows start up.

Soldato
Not in front of a PC at the moment but two things spring to mind.

1. Best way of doing this is a separate temp sensor on the CPU - it's not as accurate or responsive as on-die but the Aquaero can read it even if Windows isn't working or the Aquaero service isn't running. Then you get it to shutdown the motherboard by either using the relay to close the power header for 5 secs or interrupt the ATX On line. These should both work if Windows isn't - which is better for the 'emergency' part of ''emergenct shutdown'.

2. If I'm just being too paranoid for my own good or you just want to do it in software and are happy with the limitations, will it let you run a script? (This is the 'nit in front of a PC part) If so, you'd want to get it to run a shutdown.bat that contains this:

Code:
Shutdown /s /f /t 1

Note that this will not ask for confirmation and won't offer you the chance to save any unsaved work. Hope that's of some help.

Soldato
I'm trying to configure an emergency shutdown if the CPU goes above a certain temperature.
Actually that function is already built into CPUs.
If thermal throttling/lowering clocks don't work and temps keep rising they smash "mushroom button" causing shutdown.

Soldato
how are you supposed to connect the relay plug up?
for the aquaero 6

assuming i'm splicing into my own psu cable it would be ps-on line pin 16 but where do the wires got on the replay plug on the connector as there are 3 connectors? i've found a diagram online to wire to the power switch of the case but nothing regarding wiring direct to the psu

*Edit* i want to set the aquaero under "X" condition to kill power from PSU

As i won't be at my computer all the time and other family members will use it i will want to make sure it's connected and use temperature/flow to make sure it keeps everything safe while i'm out.

looking at the diagram i'm assuming pin 16 on atx would go to replay pin 3 and pin 1 would go to ground, the computer should work as normal until the relay is triggered interuppting the supply from pin 16 and ground causing the psu to shut off

Last edited:
Soldato
*Edit* i want to set the aquaero under "X" condition to kill power from PSU

As i won't be at my computer all the time and other family members will use it i will want to make sure it's connected and use temperature/flow to make sure it keeps everything safe while i'm out.

looking at the diagram i'm assuming pin 16 on atx would go to replay pin 3 and pin 1 would go to ground, the computer should work as normal until the relay is triggered interuppting the supply from pin 16 and ground causing the psu to shut off

Relay needs to be put in series with PS ON signal of 24pin ATX cable for Aquaero to instantly and guaranteedly power PC down.
Having anything in parallel there wouldn't do any good, because motherboard keeps that signal wire grounded to keep PSU operating and PC powered.
Unless wanting to cut PSU's cable Aquacomputer part number 53047 is adapter to motherboard's ATX power cable for extending PS ON signal wire. (besides that 53080)

Wiring relay output in parallel with power switch of PC (like in that diagram) is only signal to motherboard's circuitry.
Though if holding power button down shuts down PC then Aquaero could do it that way. (with delay)

Soldato
Relay needs to be put in series with PS ON signal of 24pin ATX cable for Aquaero to instantly and guaranteedly power PC down.
Having anything in parallel there wouldn't do any good, because motherboard keeps that signal wire grounded to keep PSU operating and PC powered.
Unless wanting to cut PSU's cable Aquacomputer part number 53047 is adapter to motherboard's ATX power cable for extending PS ON signal wire. (besides that 53080)

Wiring relay output in parallel with power switch of PC (like in that diagram) is only signal to motherboard's circuitry.
Though if holding power button down shuts down PC then Aquaero could do it that way. (with delay)

ah so you mean cut the wire and use the relay plug as a bridge so to speak, do you know what pins it needs to be attached to? i'm assumiong pins 1 and 3 according to the manual

PIN 1: NORMALLY CONNECTED
PIN 2: NORMALLY OPEN (SHOULD BE GROUND THEN)
PIN 3: NORMALLY CONNECTOR

In reality would the 10 seconds it takes to shut off without a pump during boot or during use really cause a massive overheat?

Soldato
ah so you mean cut the wire and use the relay plug as a bridge so to speak, do you know what pins it needs to be attached to? i'm assumiong pins 1 and 3 according to the manual

PIN 1: NORMALLY CONNECTED
PIN 2: NORMALLY OPEN (SHOULD BE GROUND THEN)
PIN 3: NORMALLY CONNECTOR

In reality would the 10 seconds it takes to shut off without a pump during boot or during use really cause a massive overheat?
In Aquaero 6 correct pins are are 1 and 3.
In older Aquaero 5 pin 3 is still common contact, but normally closed is pin 2.
https://aquacomputer.de/tl_files/aquacomputer/downloads/manuals/aquaero_5_6_en.pdf

Those are always connected together when relay is in inactive/"relaxed" state, allowing motherboard to pull PS ON to ground.
When relay is powered, normally closed contact opens cutting PS ON signal.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/30952/can-you-clarify-what-an-1no1nc-switch-is

Normally open pin is left unconnected.

Unless relay is connected in parallel with power switch of the case to use motherboard's own logic.
In that case it's normally closed pin which isn't connected to anything. (like in that graph with Aquaero 5)
But functionality of power button in running PC can be affected by power settings of Windows.
From shutting down PC to initiating sleep mode, or even doing nothing.
There might be settings for that also in BIOS.
So there's the caveat of it possibly doing nothing with certain Windows settings.
In which case it would be up to CPU's thermal throttling/thermal shutdown to do the job.
Though if you have also GPU in the loop, CPU's protections won't help that.

Associate
can u use an AE6 XT without the screen attached as I am wanting to keep using it in a new Evolve X build but can only fit it in if I take off the screen

Associate
can u use an AE6 XT without the screen attached as I am wanting to keep using it in a new Evolve X build but can only fit it in if I take off the screen

Yes and very easy to do, did it with my Pro when moving cases. You just remove the front and back screws and the display can be separated from the main control board. Other than the obvious screws it's held in via a fiction based multi pin connector on one side. Aquasuite will automatically detect the change on next load up and remove the display option.

Associate
THanks for that- I have already separated the unit after stripping the previous build down- have left on the heatsink. I really like the AE software to control my fans, temps and pumps and space is tight in the Evolve X

Associate
Aquaero D5 USB & Aquabus pump
Is there a way for me to connect the above to my motherboard to control pump without using my AE6 as I cant fit it in the case anywhere
I am really regretting getting this new case at the minute

Soldato
If it has a USB interface, it should stand-alone by just plugging it into a motherboard USB header.

You ought to be able to mount an Aquaero without the screen somewhere, surely? Even with the screen if you cut the case a little. Have a look at my thread for an Evolve ATX mount idea.

Associate
what software would I use if I connect it to motherboard USB? Problem I have is that I only one USB header on motherboard so would need to use a Hubby 7 splitter and room in the case is limited to say the least
Edit: think I have managed to crowbar them in

Last edited:
Soldato
You'd have to tell me exactly which pump as the only D5 pump that AquaComputer make with a USB connection (that I can find) is their "D5 Next" and that's all RGBpx equipped. There are various Aquastream pumps that have USB and Aquabus. These are usable directly with Aquasuite - the same as the Aquaero. They even come with a license for it.

Back
Top Bottom