Arctic Freezer III now available.....

I didn't know it doesn't fit in the top of the 5000D, i want the 4000D, the 5000D is too large, is it the thickness of the rad that's the problem? I mean its thicker than typical CLC's but it can't be any thicker than a proper open loop rad, can it?

Length ways the 5000D is good for 320mm in the top.

The 4000D is 280mm

Yeah, it's the thickness that causes the issue. I've got the H110i in there at the minute and there's about 5mm clearance (just eyeballing it) to the top of the motherboard (Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus, which has heatsinks right near the top edge, plus power connectors) and that's a 27mm thick rad.
I think some people have done it by mounting the fans in a pull config outside the case (although still covered by the removable grate on the top), but again I'm not so keen on this solution.
The 120mm rad variants might be a little better, but I don't think so with this motherboard.

Gone with a III 280 here. Didn't have any trouble at all fitting it in the front of my case (NZXT H7), but cramming it in the top is a no-go - clashes with the motherboard VRM heatsink above the CPU socket.

Delta between idle and full sustained load is about 35°, and that's with the fans set up to keep it from sounding like a jetliner on takeoff. On my old cooler (EK Basic 240) it was about 10° warmer.

I've got a Meshify 2 XL case...

1690538741442-EDIT.jpg

fits a 420mm AIO in ok. Then again with the 450mm tubing it is a bit of a stretch. This is an old photo of when I had the rev 2 AF 420mm and my 4080 vertical mounted.

The GPU is now horizontally mounted, still got the piece of bluetak tho.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the thickness that causes the issue. I've got the H110i in there at the minute and there's about 5mm clearance (just eyeballing it) to the top of the motherboard (Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus, which has heatsinks right near the top edge, plus power connectors) and that's a 27mm thick rad.
I think some people have done it by mounting the fans in a pull config outside the case (although still covered by the removable grate on the top), but again I'm not so keen on this solution.
The 120mm rad variants might be a little better, but I don't think so with this motherboard.

I never thought about that, looking at it the thing it does go quite far down the top of the motherboard, but its not in contact with anything, there is at least a couple of inches between the back of the rad and the top HS on the motherboard.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro, very old case now, hence my wanting top get the 4000D.

Also, the flash on my phone is picking up all the dust in it, i'm slightly embarrassed to post this but...

tUeIpBm.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe you'd be lucky with your motherboard layout, but a quick google of "Arctic Liquid Freezer II and Corsair 5000D" shows up that top mounting with push fans does seem to be an issue for many. I can't imagine a 4000D fair any better. It's a shame that another 15mm is all it would take and you'd probably have room to fit the 360mm version with a bit of gap of cables.

Might end up going for a Corsair H150i as I think that fits, but it sorta feel like rewarding Corsair for this design oversight.
There were a few design choices with the Freezer II that meant I wasn't considering it when I bought the 5000D (I was considering the Meshify 2 too), but I did start to consider it afterwards, but the Freezer III seems to have solved a lot of those issues, but it won't fit (nicely in the top with a push config) :(

I just spent the last hour pulling it apart to clean it, the top motherboard HS is quite small but the side one isn't, its the case, its quite wide and allows the cooler to be mounted right up against the window side giving it plenty of space on the back side, there is a 2 inch gap between the back HS and the RAD, which the RAD does over hang.

So this is something i need to look out for.....

Xf7NFGl.png

Well I'm sorry for triggering the series of events that led you to feeling you needed to clean it!
But maybe it's saved you from some issues down the road. Of course if you don't care about front mounting the rad or having the fans sort of external then you might be fine.

Well I'm sorry for triggering the series of events that led you to feeling you needed to clean it!
But maybe it's saved you from some issues down the road. Of course if you don't care about front mounting the rad or having the fans sort of external then you might be fine.

Don't be, i just realised it needed it :D

I do care about front mounting, like you i don't see the point is drawring warm air in to the case through the rad, the whole point is to pull the warm air out.

.... Then again with the 450mm tubing it is a bit of a stretch. This is an old photo of when I had the rev 2 AF 420mm and my 4080 vertical mounted.

I have a Define 7 XL so basically the same size case and the tight stretch on the 420mm made me compromise to the AF II 360mm.

The new AF III has angle adjustment for the pipes on the pump head but the pipes look a little lower at exit from it so still not sure its a great fit. It's a shame they don't just add a few cm to the length (I keep submitting this as a suggestion) as its easier to work with extra pipe than be too short.

I have a Define 7 XL so basically the same size case and the tight stretch on the 420mm made me compromise to the AF II 360mm.

The new AF III has angle adjustment for the pipes on the pump head but the pipes look a little lower at exit from it so still not sure its a great fit. It's a shame they don't just add a few cm to the length (I keep submitting this as a suggestion) as its easier to work with extra pipe than be too short.

I agree.

I mailed them when I first bought the rev 2 cooler a couple of years ago, showing them a similar photo. Since fitting the rev 3, I have mailed them again. Both times I have suggested that they add a few centimetres to the length of the tubing for their 420mm model. Those who fit it will need to have the case to accommodate such a large model but the pipes, comparative to the radiator length, could do with being longer.
The rev 3 is actually more of an issue than the second one. As you note, the pipes have an angled adjustment, but it is their position being lower that makes the problem worse.

The rev 3 is actually more of an issue than the second one. As you note, the pipes have an angled adjustment, but it is their position being lower that makes the problem worse.

Thanks for confirming. If they made the pipes a little longer then as well as top mounting it, the front mounting option with the pipes down would also be more feasible for many.

They're producing a great value and performing AIO but having the pipe lengths the same for 360 and 420mm coolers is really strange.

Thanks for confirming. If they made the pipes a little longer then as well as top mounting it, the front mounting option with the pipes down would also be more feasible for many.

They're producing a great value and performing AIO but having the pipe lengths the same for 360 and 420mm coolers is really strange.

The only consideration that I have thought about is would it still offer the VRM cooling as effective if the block was fitted the other way around..? So that the tubes are on top, rather than the bottom. I get the impression that it should fit, but only having thought about that since fitting it I'm not sure of any potential issues.
The cable lengths, to connect the fans etc are long enough. I didn't measure to see if the block is offset in any way that could compromise things.
For me it is fitted now, but it could be an option.

If Arctic respond to my open case I'll ask them.

While mounting the RAD vertical tubes up is not the worst option its also not a good one, there is air inside them, if you mount the reservoir up (Tubes up) you could be pushing air around the loop.

Top mounting remains the best way.

Last edited:
@clone - To confirm, that is a Corsair 5000D and a 420mm Freezer II. I can see it is a freezer II, just surprised as Corsair list the case as being compatible with a 280mm radiator in the top, if 140mm fans, or a 360mm at most, for the 120mm fans.
Did you need to adapt it in any way, or it just went in fine..?

looks good.

@clone and is the case std - meaning there seems to be a shroud or bracket (white) where the edging of the 420mm radiator would some into contact with the case..? Noting that against the pictures of it at Corsair..?

using their selection tool you can see how "limited" they claim it is with radiators.

Corsair info....

5000-D-AIRFLOW-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-PC-Case-Black.png

Last edited:
I'm pleased that you did that, it does look good.
I have a Corsair 5000D, black, upstairs in the loft. I also have the rev II 420mm radiator. I was, might still be, considering selling that. But now if it fits as welll as you have shown I might reconsider.
(I have noted you list your AF II 420mm for sale)

when you posted that picture, my first thoughts were that cooler looks great in a 7000 case....

7000D

7000-D-AIRFLOW-Full-Tower-ATX-PC-Case-Black.png

Back
Top Bottom