Are earnings too low / living costs getting too high??

Soldato
OvEBCQd6SJgYeVC37QI74E8eqZ3GFLvD3EIcoRkbh9g.jpg

Caporegime
I agree, but then most parents are crap, surely life skills would be better to be taught than maths/history/literature?

Than maths?

You're having a giraffe mate, and on the history point:

If you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

G J

G J

Associate
Because the teacher teaching nutrition/finances/politics/whatever, generally don't have much of a clue themselves.

I like the idea of bringing in outside people once a week from a key industry (such as finance), and spend an hour talking to kids about finance. savings, different account types, mortgages, loans and whatnot.

I would've liked this when I was younger but it wont happen as theres massive amounts of money to be made with peoples lack of willpower/education with the above.

Dissapointing that feminism/SJW/Women studies/etc got into parts of the education system.

Caporegime
I didn't say not to do maths at all, but advanced maths is niche and not useful to most students in the real world.

Remember, the majority of school leavers do no end up as bankers or analysts or scientists, but they will most certainly be eating food, having to manage their finances, and dealing with at least a few injuries in their lifetimes.

Do you think knowing what an iambic pentameter is has more value than understanding interest rates?

Soldato
I didn't say not to do maths at all, but advanced maths is niche and not useful to most students in the real world.

Remember, the majority of school leavers do no end up as bankers or analysts or scientists, but they will most certainly be eating food, having to manage their finances, and dealing with at least a few injuries in their lifetimes.

Do you think knowing what an iambic pentameter is has more value than understanding interest rates?

You know economics is a school subject right?

Soldato
The cynic in me thinks the government has a vested interest in withholding state level financial / lifeskills education.

They want the public to be malleable. Gullible. Easily led and easily exploited to suit whatever agenda is en vogue at the time. If you equip coming generations with common sense, critical thinking and lifeskills to make informed and objective financial choices from a young age you get caught in your lies. Education, education, education! Pah, what rubbish. We are practically force feeding our young people with inflated ideals on university education and what we get at the end is a group of people with no prospects and no direction who feel completely let down and are straddled with tons of debt that many will never pay back. So who pays for it? In the end, we all do. It's a complete and utter sham.

I wish I could have sat down with my 16 year old self and had a chat back then. I wonder how many of our colleges and 6th forms are actually being honest about it with our young people? I'm guessing none because their funding is all based on how many kids they can mislead into university whether it is the right thing for them or not.

Soldato
You seem to have forgotten that the role of schooling is to generate generations of conforming worker bees to further enhance the establishments wealth, not prepare them for life or independence.

V F

V F

Soldato
Because the teacher teaching nutrition/finances/politics/whatever, generally don't have much of a clue themselves.

I like the idea of bringing in outside people once a week from a key industry (such as finance), and spend an hour talking to kids about finance. savings, different account types, mortgages, loans and whatnot.

Yet I guarantee those teachers could tell you what happened on Eastenders and such....

The cynic in me thinks the government has a vested interest in withholding state level financial / lifeskills education.

They want the public to be malleable. Gullible. Easily led and easily exploited to suit whatever agenda is en vogue at the time. If you equip coming generations with common sense, critical thinking and lifeskills to make informed and objective financial choices from a young age you get caught in your lies. Education, education, education! Pah, what rubbish. We are practically force feeding our young people with inflated ideals on university education and what we get at the end is a group of people with no prospects and no direction who feel completely let down and are straddled with tons of debt that many will never pay back. So who pays for it? In the end, we all do. It's a complete and utter sham.

I wish I could have sat down with my 16 year old self and had a chat back then. I wonder how many of our colleges and 6th forms are actually being honest about it with our young people? I'm guessing none because their funding is all based on how many kids they can mislead into university whether it is the right thing for them or not.

Keep them in the dark and feed them gumby.

Caporegime

100% this.

Especially that last part, oh my what I would say to my 16 year old self.

Caporegime
Internships are more like 12 to 16k as far as I know..
So yes they're a fair way off a livable salary. (ok for 16year olds living with mum and dad but that's about it)

Eh? Those sound like pretty naff internships, then again they're above minimum wage and are still feasible to live on - considering interns are generally students living in flat shares anyway!

Back
Top Bottom