Poll: Are mushy peas acceptable in a fry up?

Are mushy peas acceptable in a fry up?

• Yes

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • No, you're a monster

Votes: 240 87.3%
  • Pancakes all the way.

Votes: 16 5.8%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
This.

If you have the right amount of beans and runny eggs then there's no need for brown or red sauce.

IMHO, if you have to add sauce, the chef has got it wrong.

We know what we are talking about as this is my exact stance. It's obvious a correctly cooked fry up should never need any sort of condiments over and above a sprinkle of salt and pepper. What ever other talk is going on in here about peas is just crazy talk from clear mentalists.

Soldato
We know what we are talking about as this is my exact stance. It's obvious a correctly cooked fry up should never need any sort of condiments over and above a sprinkle of salt and pepper. What ever other talk is going on in here about peas is just crazy talk from clear mentalists.

Also, fry up juice is the only way to make cold toast worthy.

Cold toast, cold butter by the slab and mop up the juice.

The mug of hot tea that you can stand a spoon up in should be served or refreshed at this point too.

Commissario
There should be nothing green in a fry up.
I thought I was a degenerate by adding chicken nuggets. Mushy peas is pure anarchy.
This is fine actually, except the beans. I don't get the desire people have to destroy a perfectly good fry up with dirty stinking beans. Everything gets covered in nasty bean juice. Or tomatoes. Tomatoes are only good when squashed into a puree and used as part of a pizza.

Soldato
There should be nothing green in a fry up.

This is fine actually, except the beans. I don't get the desire people have to destroy a perfectly good fry up with dirty stinking beans. Everything gets covered in nasty bean juice. Or tomatoes. Tomatoes are only good when squashed into a puree and used as part of a pizza.

You're obviously not building your plate right.

Sausages are a good barrier to contain the bean juice as they don't go soggy.

Soldato
Heresy, burn the witch!

Just no, sir. No. You are a filthy degenerate and I bite my thumb in your general direction.

The correct assembly is as follows. You may wish to reach for a writing implement and take notes for your wife/cook.
  • Lightly crisped back bacon (x4 at least)
  • High quality butchers' pork sausages (chilli optional)
  • Scrambled egg
  • Fried egg with runny yolk
  • Thickened, slow-simmered soft baked beans (enough to cover the meal)
  • High quality Lancashire black pudding slices (at least x4)
  • Fried mushrooms (and, optionally, onion and/or a grilled tomato)
  • Hash browns
  • Fried bread (optionally, as a side to mop up and with conventional toast squares under the main meal)
Then, and only then, may you consider it a fry-up. Anything else is an abomination.

A true aficionado, well done I applaud you.

Caporegime
Can anyone Scottish or living in Scotland tell me, do the Scottish eat Rumbledethumps with their breakfast?

I’ve heard they’re like a Scottish version of bubble.

never heard of that in Central Scotland, seems to be a borders thing. My Dad is from the south west and they have Scotch pancakes fried up in the bacon fat as well as tattie scone, sublime!

Back
Top Bottom