• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are you DirectStorage ready?

Soldato
It sounds like DirectStorage is going severely affect drive lifespan of you use it, unless you have a drive with firmware designed to mitigate the effect

"
Traditionally, “real world” consumer performance metrics have focused on 4KB accesses at low queue depths ranging from 1 to 4, but DirectStorage will use large random read accesses at very high queue depths. So here we’re dealing with large 32KB+ block sizes and a 512+ queue depth instead, which is representative of a potential DirectStorage workload. In fact, we should anticipate I/O up to 1MB in size, with 64KB being a typical target for consistency.

This type of workload also challenges a drive’s endurance due to 'Block Read Disturb,' a process that creates wear on frequently-read blocks, thus reducing endurance. Managing this condition is exceptionally important with DirectStorage SSDs — each block of game data can experience up to 20,000 page reads per hour over a 60 to 100GB span of the drive.

Block Read Disturb is a negligible condition with standard drives. However, the new firmware needs to maintain the flash due to the intense nature of DirectStorage workloads, all while still prioritizing host I/O requests. Hammering the flash with reads introduces bit errors over time which can temporarily impact performance, but drive access remains in high demand. Phison has developed smart scheduling for maintenance with adaptive wear algorithms that seamlessly work in the background so that performance remains consistent with minimal additive wear."

Soldato
Can anyone tell me what:
20220807-172218.jpg

BypassIO not supported due to driver, UIFileFilter

Means?
Same for me but its due to malwarebyte not supporting this feature yet.

Soldato
I was hoping I'd get an optane drive for it when I upgrade but that seems to have run its course (sadly). Guess now that we see it also requires a more enduring drive that I'll have to avoid QLC (more than I already was).

Associate
I have Samsung Evo 970 Plus.

It says : "BypassIO not supported due to driver : secnvme.sys"

Any idea what can cause this? Im using samsung nvme driver.

Thanks

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don’t need to use the tool to know I am ready. Got a WD SN850 1TB :)

My Intel Optane 280GB is used as an OS drive as that’s where it shines and WD SN850 purely as my gaming drive :D

Soldato
It sounds like DirectStorage is going severely affect drive lifespan of you use it, unless you have a drive with firmware designed to mitigate the effect

"
Traditionally, “real world” consumer performance metrics have focused on 4KB accesses at low queue depths ranging from 1 to 4, but DirectStorage will use large random read accesses at very high queue depths. So here we’re dealing with large 32KB+ block sizes and a 512+ queue depth instead, which is representative of a potential DirectStorage workload. In fact, we should anticipate I/O up to 1MB in size, with 64KB being a typical target for consistency.

This type of workload also challenges a drive’s endurance due to 'Block Read Disturb,' a process that creates wear on frequently-read blocks, thus reducing endurance. Managing this condition is exceptionally important with DirectStorage SSDs — each block of game data can experience up to 20,000 page reads per hour over a 60 to 100GB span of the drive.

Block Read Disturb is a negligible condition with standard drives. However, the new firmware needs to maintain the flash due to the intense nature of DirectStorage workloads, all while still prioritizing host I/O requests. Hammering the flash with reads introduces bit errors over time which can temporarily impact performance, but drive access remains in high demand. Phison has developed smart scheduling for maintenance with adaptive wear algorithms that seamlessly work in the background so that performance remains consistent with minimal additive wear."
I hope Samsung release a new firmware for the 980 pro, i've been with samsung drives since I started buying SSDs but looking at benchmarks the 980pro isn't top dog like the old drives used to be.

Soldato
Samsung has announced their direct storage focused SSD, the 990 Pro.

It's optimized for gaming and DirectStorage technology featuring more iops (up to 1550k) and 55% faster performance in the higher bit depth rates that DirectStorage utilises compared to the 980 Pro.

It's also more efficient with 50% lower power usage thanks to a new controller, and it comes with an optional rgb heatsink.

But this is still a gen4 drive, not gen 5

Man of Honour
So they will have to release a new nvme driver update to support it too which means the previous drives will show as compatible in Windows. 990 Pro 2TB might be an excuse to upgrade my 1TB 970 Evo Plus too, not just for gaming but Lightroom and editing needs would benefit.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Samsung has announced their direct storage focused SSD, the 990 Pro.

It's optimized for gaming and DirectStorage technology featuring more iops (up to 1550k) and 55% faster performance in the higher bit depth rates that DirectStorage utilises compared to the 980 Pro.

It's also more efficient with 50% lower power usage thanks to a new controller, and it comes with an optional rgb heatsink.

But this is still a gen4 drive, not gen 5

Nice, but if I understand right it still won’t come anywhere near my Optane’s 4K random performance. Also I am not sure it will make a big difference. Game loaded .4 seconds faster, that’s a whopping 30 percent faster! Wow!!! :p

Until we get next gen consoles which will have faster storage that developers build games that need the speed to work without a hiccup, then the above scenario is the best one can likely expect.

Soldato
Forspoken is supposed to be the first DirectStorage-enabled game.
No. Forspoken missed boat to be the first DirectStorage-enabled game.

Scorn confirmed will be the first DirectStorage-enabled game.

Scorn will release on both PC and Xbox Series X/S next month on 21 October 2022.

Soldato
This brings up something I have been wondering about my 970 Samsung Evo.

With Win 10 I used to install the Samsung nvme drivers. With Win 11 I don't.

The nvme driver page from Samsung doesn't even officially mention Win 11 support.

So do we need to install the driver?

Last edited:
Soldato

The nvme driver page from Samsung doesn't even officially mention Win 11 support.

No I dont think you need to install 2 years old Samsung NVMe driver. I checked Samsung website said driver supported Windows 7, 8 and 10.

Associate

Same drive here, I've never found a driver for this ssd? It always uses the standard Microsoft generic one. Can you link pls?

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom