Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
uT2sbL7l.png.jpg

The electrician came yesterday and fitted the wiring and first lot of plastering. He's back on Monday to finish plastering and fit the light fittings. As such, I've set up the Hue in readiness using a desk lamp.

I've got the above 'on at sunset, off at 10pm' set up natively through the app, which surprised me as I thought I'd need some help from IFTTT.

Also, currently out in the village, I'm getting the No Hue Connection warning, but no more info. As best I know, it's all on at home. Any ideas?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Oh wow.. that's good news as I want some cheap E14s...

However.. from their site..

The bold bit at the end makes me nervous.. you get to ikea.. buy your stuff then get it home and realise you have v1.1 and have no hub to update.. if it doesn't state a software version on the packaging or if there's a mixture out there this could be a PITA.

But in principal this is great news.. if nothing else the standards are converging around a winner.
For someone starting out with these bulbs (Only care about white), am I best off getting Ikea TRÅDFRI bulbs and a Hue bridge? Are there any advantages to getting the Hue bridge over the Ikea one? (Like a better app)

What are the range of whites like on TRÅDFRI compared to Hue? Any differences?

Thanks

Soldato
I thought about ikea but at the time hue Google integration was better. So got a cheap used hue bridge. Didn't get the Ikea bulbs because of potential old firmware so would've needed the Ikea bridge too (although I think a lot of current stock is the compatible firmware). I ended up getting the 3 for 2 amazon deal for Phillips bulbs.

Soldato
For someone starting out with these bulbs (Only care about white), am I best off getting Ikea TRÅDFRI bulbs and a Hue bridge? Are there any advantages to getting the Hue bridge over the Ikea one? (Like a better app)

What are the range of whites like on TRÅDFRI compared to Hue? Any differences?

Thanks

No idea on the specifics but I'd assume the app is better and clearly much more widely adopted. You don't see Philips making their lights tradfri compatible :)

Associate
Sure is,I'm £450 in and still going :(

I got two b22 starter kits for £89 and 2 b22 bulbs for £25 each so haven’t spent a ton so far.

I want a 3 light strips, one for behind the tv in then living room and front room, and the third for either behind our double pc desk or behind my ultrawide monitor, whichever looks better.

Then want to find a way of getting more lights in the tv end of the living room, currently have the main ceiling light and a standing lamp then soon a strip behind the tv.
Thinking either try the Bloom facing one of the rooms corners or a table lamp with an hue bulb in.

Soldato
I only have 6 bulbs,2 in a tall lamp in the living room,2 in another tall lamp in the hallway and 2 in the bedroom in the bedside lights,I want to replace the ceiling lights and they are all gu10,still looking at the IKEA bulbs.
Got 3 amazon echo's and 3 tplink smart plugs which are very good and very responsive.

Associate
I need more echos, I want a second dot for the bedroom and a spot for my desk in the living room.

The tp link plugs are good then? Something I think is an awesome idea but never really looked into.
Which model do you have?

Soldato
I was going to say why do you bother.. I keep thinking I need some more smart plugs (got 1 operating to E14 lamps at the moment) but I keep coming back to why would I bother, I'll just get Hue bulbs.

The kettle thing I get but then surely you've got to remember to fill the kettle and turn it on before resetting the smart plug.. fiddly IMO

Soldato
I was going to say why do you bother.. I keep thinking I need some more smart plugs (got 1 operating to E14 lamps at the moment) but I keep coming back to why would I bother, I'll just get Hue bulbs.

The kettle thing I get but then surely you've got to remember to fill the kettle and turn it on before resetting the smart plug.. fiddly IMO
I set the kettle up before bed (bit like going to the toilet-routine) and when i get up the tea has brewed,lazy i know but nice to have tea already made :)

Soldato
I set the kettle up before bed (bit like going to the toilet-routine) and when i get up the tea has brewed,lazy i know but nice to have tea already made :)

Why not :) I've got my house so automated now it irritates me but I'm not stopping lol.. I actually want to find uses for everything!

Associate
We’ve got one of those light up boxes you put letters into to spell phrases, I want the tp link for that so I can turn it on with the rest of the living room, then a harmony remote/Hub to do the tv too.
Addictive lol

Soldato
No idea on the specifics but I'd assume the app is better and clearly much more widely adopted. You don't see Philips making their lights tradfri compatible :)
I think they're effectively all interoperable now but there's no advantage to buying an Ikea bridge and then expensive Phillips bulbs for it so no one really discusses that aspect

Back
Top Bottom