Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
Maybe not cheaper!

I use a mixture of Smartthings, Fibaro and Aeotec sensors. The Aeotec ones can be plugged in to provide live data and they dont have batteries to run out.

I have them dotted around the house controlling my lights but also as a back up to the alarm.

Associate
Ok so was thinking going down the Hue route for light sensors, but starting to think the Smarttings/Xiaomi may be a better option. A i can add different sensors and plugs to it for control with Google Home.

Soldato
The beauty with smartthings is it’s ecosystem agnostic so yeah you can get hue sensors but I doubt they’d work with smart plugs and thermostats and doorbells etc

Soldato
Just a heads up.. most of the smartthings sensors are reduced at the moment.. they're supposed to be on 3 for 2 but several retailers have just gone with a straight 1/3 discount so you can get the movement sensors for £20 :)

Associate
If anyone sees the light strips cheaper then £69 let us know, need one more to finish my light setup for the bedroom.

I got one of the dimmer switches yesterday, absolutely brilliant

Associate
Just a heads up.. most of the smartthings sensors are reduced at the moment.. they're supposed to be on 3 for 2 but several retailers have just gone with a straight 1/3 discount so you can get the movement sensors for £20 :)

Cool will keep an eye out, managed to pick up a Smartthings hub from eBay so on the look out for sensors etc now.

Associate
Ah what an idiot! I assumed because I saw them on the Philips site while googling that they were Hue!

What are my options for controlling a lamp that takes this sort of bulb? Presumably I need a smart plug of some kind to turn it on and off?

Soldato
yeah that'll be your only option, smart plugs and no dimming.

Or something like lightwaverf and smart light switches may give you access to dimming I think.

Associate
Any advice on which smart plugs are best, I have google home as well

There seem to be so many on Amazon with quite mixed reviews

Soldato
Smartthings will work with both but are pricey, next down there's TP Link as big brands.. Given the savings for the smaller brands I guess I'd be tempted but a plug is not necessarily something you want to mess with

Soldato
You set them to “follow” the nest, so when you set nest to 20c the eTRVs follow suit. I don’t think it’s very tighly coupled and just matches the temp set. Our house is hotter upstairs than down and it works a treat.

HTH

So specific radiators turn themselves off when they get to the nests target temperature even if the nest isn't there itself?

Soldato
OP
So specific radiators turn themselves off when they get to the nests target temperature even if the nest isn't there itself?

Yes.

So my setup - I have eTRVs on 3 bedroom radiators upstairs which was always "hotter" than downstairs. Turn the Nest downstairs to 20c, and each eTRV winds itself up/down to a target of 20c. Downstairs takes longer to get to 20c, which previously meant upstairs got too toasty, now, as Nest downstairs winds up to 20c and upstairs reaches 20c earlier, all the eTRVs wind down to keep at 20c. Hope that makes sense!

ETA - obviously the heating has to be on for this to work, so it won't make a difference in the summer, I'm looking to get wifi controlled aircon for then.

Soldato
Yes.

So my setup - I have eTRVs on 3 bedroom radiators upstairs which was always "hotter" than downstairs. Turn the Nest downstairs to 20c, and each eTRV winds itself up/down to a target of 20c. Downstairs takes longer to get to 20c, which previously meant upstairs got too toasty, now, as Nest downstairs winds up to 20c and upstairs reaches 20c earlier, all the eTRVs wind down to keep at 20c. Hope that makes sense!

ETA - obviously the heating has to be on for this to work, so it won't make a difference in the summer, I'm looking to get wifi controlled aircon for then.

Yikes.. that's exactly what I want (3 floor townhouse, Nest on bottom floor) and I was thinking I should have perhaps gone with Hive or Tado or something.. might have to invest here.

Typical I find out after winter just did its worst :)

Back
Top Bottom