Arizona nine-year old in Uzi gun lesson accident

Soldato
By extension of your viewpoint we should also ban motor sports, many other kinds of sports with a danger element i.e. javelin throwing, rock climbing, etc. ?

This is a bit of a straw man, though, surely?

I strongly doubt that the majority, or even a large proportion, of guns in USA are used for sport.

Do you believe otherwise?

Soldato
This could have happened anywhere in the world. the fact that it happened in america is typical.

It was the instructors fault for not instructing properly.

Soldato
By extension of your viewpoint we should also ban motor sports, many other kinds of sports with a danger element i.e. javelin throwing, rock climbing, etc. ?

But what about the resulting effects on society where you allow high volumes of gun ownership?

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that allowing forms of dangerous sports such as rock climbing, would have the anything like the overall negative and cumulative effect on society, as widespread gun ownership and it's resulting effects.

Man of Honour
This is a bit of a straw man, though, surely?

I strongly doubt that the majority, or even a large proportion, of guns in USA are used for sport.

Do you believe otherwise?

Depends what you mean, I used to play with a quake 3 clan with a number of US members who had extensive firearm collections and aside from owning some for home defence purposes the rest were mostly used for fun, shooting at the range or in specifically setup backyard areas, etc.

Soldato

Well there's no need to be funny about it...

Guns are for killing and can be very easily misused with terrible consequences.

You cannot seriously compare them to rock climbing, motorsports etc.

I don't play about with knives, fire, guns etc because they are inherently harmful. It's not the same as driving a car on a track, or climbing a mountain and it's a pretty childish viewpoint to suggest that.

Soldato
Depends what you mean, I used to play with a quake 3 clan with a number of US members who had extensive firearm collections and aside from owning some for home defence purposes the rest were mostly used for fun, shooting at the range or in specifically setup backyard areas, etc.

Off topic - which clan? :p

The Americans that I know and have spent time with in the US have guns for protection mostly, and for messing around in the back yard.

One family had a spud gun. I know what you are thinking, and you are right - spud guns are not really intimidating. But this was more like a cannon!

It could propel a 3 inch diameter spud at high velocity for over 100m. If you hit someone with it, you would hurt them badly, or if it was a headshot likely kill them.

Why did they have it? For ***** and giggles, but more importantly simply because they could!

Man of Honour
But what about the resulting effects on society where you allow high volumes of gun ownership?

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that allowing forms of dangerous sports such as rock climbing, would have the anything like the overall negative and cumulative effect on society, as widespread gun ownership and it's resulting effects.

Didn't really notice any difference when I was in the US compared to here in that regard. 99% of people have a fairly rational approach to it the problem in the US is they don't really address that 1% the same way as other countries do.

Man of Honour
Off topic - which clan? :p

I was a member of OCI (Our Connections Interrupt) and EKM (Not the EU one) - EKM was one of the top teams in the US CTF scene which is why I tended to play with US clans more as at the time EU was mostly TDM and duelling focused.

Soldato
Statistics;
USA Population = 318 million
Life expectancy = 79
Annual gun deaths = 32,000
Source;http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Average chance of USA citizen being killed by firearm in calendar year = 1 in 9,938 (318,000,000 / 32,000)
Average change of USA citizen being killed by firearm in lifetime = 1 in 126 (9,938 / 79)

one in every 126 USA citizens to die by firearm!

Soldato
Statistics;
Life expectancy = 79

Average chance of USA citizen being killed by firearm in calendar year = 1 in 9,938
Average change of USA citizen being killed by firearm in lifetime = 1 in 126

....maaaan, they need to be more careful when lighting them BBQ's! :p

Man of Honour
OP
Statistics;
Life expectancy = 79

Average chance of USA citizen being killed by firearm in calendar year = 1 in 9,938 (318,000,000 / 32,000)
Average change of USA citizen being killed by firearm in lifetime = 1 in 126 (9,938 / 79)

I'm pretty sure that Maths doesn't work there.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that Maths doesn't work there.

It does

Try this;
32,000 per year

over 79 years, that's 2,528,000 deaths.

During that time you, as an individual of average lifespan (79years) are one of 318,000,000 in the country (assuming steady population). 318,000,000 divided by 2,528,000 is 126. One in 126 chance you will be one of the ~2.5 million who die in your lifetime.

To put it another way, if life expectancy is 79 years, and population is 318 million, then 318 million people will die over the next 79 years (assuming a flat age distribution), of which 2.5 million will die by firearm

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing wrong with some guns for sport, e.g. shotguns, bolt action rifles, etc.

However I don't see the need for any kind of automatic, or even semi-auto weapons, unless your intention is to kill people.[/quote[

Agree, pretty much like the laws in the UK.

You could say the same about a lot of sports though.

Don't go swimming/boating in case you drown.
Don't go cycling in case you crash/get hit by a car/ride off a cliff.
Don't go abseiling in case the rope breaks.
Etc.

Virtually everything inherently has some risk associated. That doesn't mean you stop doing anything, just that you take measures to mitigate the risk, e.g. learn to swim, wear a helmet, check your ropes, don't give a small child a fully loaded automatic weapon.

Errr no, when was the someone drowned and during drowning accidently also drowned 10 random passer-bys? Most (note, not all) accidents in sport the only person injured is yourself, when participating in the sport yes you have to accept the risks.

There is simply no valid arguement for guns to be so easily available in any country. The problem the US has though is that it has become so much part of their culture that it is so difficult to overturn it now.

Back
Top Bottom