Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinosaur MMO/Survival PVP funz!

Played this for a few hours last night and in that time died about 15 times... Mostly to the nasty little spitter ***** and the occasional Raptor...although I did punch a raptor to death at one point.

It was also difficult playing when there was one guy in our TS who was just sitting there listening to what we were doing, Popping out of no where and killing us repeatedly (He is level 15 and been playing all day) His response was "Its a pvp survival game...tough luck" ....While I agree, killing a lvl 4 for the 10 thatch he has and just "because" cannot exactly be rewarding.

There also seems to be an issue that Dinosaurs can walk through building wallls...or at least I woke up in our shared house this morning only to be eaten alive by the dinosaurs that had some how gotten inside the building without knocking the walls down or opening the doors.

That's the same for all games that have a pvp element, there is no unwritten code of ethics for the most part pvp is just as you describe idiots who are obviously much higher level or have better equipment picking off people who have no real intention of taking part in pvp pretty sad but will ALWAYS be a part of games.

This is one game I think i prefer watching be played than actually playing myself.

Might have to try out Steam's refund process. 50 minutes into the game and the optimization is a big problem. Are there any sort of recommended settings?

Depends on your PC specs?

Mine was running quite well yesterday for some reason, 1920x1200, everything on high, turned off motion blur and other annoying things.

I5-4690k, 280x, 16gb ram, game installed on an 840 Evo.

Depends on your PC specs?

Mine was running quite well yesterday for some reason, 1920x1200, everything on high, turned off motion blur and other annoying things.

I5-4690k, 280x, 16gb ram, game installed on an 840 Evo.

i5-2500K, 290, 16GB ram, didn't install on my SSD. I ran further inland and the FPS went right down. It also seemed to have a pixelated look. I was running everything on medium but I'm not sure if I have a setting wrong or something?

Regarding the settings:

Set everything to medium first as a "base" setting.
The resolution slider put in the middle for now. right is crisper but more taxing, left is blurry and lower res scaling.

Sky box and ground clutter about 1/3rd of the bar. See how that goes.

Might have to try out Steam's refund process. 50 minutes into the game and the optimization is a big problem. Are there any sort of recommended settings?

They've announced a partnership with NVIDIA, and that they will work to integrate GameWorks into the game ... it ain't going to get better - probably a lot worse.

No updates this evening guys? :(
No interesting tales, stories of how far you've progressed?

I wouldnt mind knowing what the general attitude is like in there, what the ratio is between friendly strangers and psychotic a-holes hellbent on killing anything that moves. From the videos ive seen it does seem like theres a decent amount of interaction with strangers if only to stop and have a little chat and carry on.
I do wonder whether that mentality will eventually change as time passes and the superior items which experienced players can make easily make vs newcomers with a spear, and they get their jollies from trolling.

Also, while its funny to a degree, the idiotic extremes for the character creation arent really my thing. I'd hope they get toned down, it looks rather idiotic IMO. Funny in a childish way, but still idiotic. If only as a server-side setting, tighten the extremes up to leave the middle 50% of adjustability or something.

Hosting a 70 slot server and i've had a great time with random people. Teamed up with some random I met on the beach. There is another random group of 5 or so that have build a massive base that took them 15 hours..

Haven't seen any stupid character sizes on my server either.

Yes the performance is crap, but with the rate they are pushing out updates I think it is only a matter of time until its much better.

There was 50+ on my server last night, nobody reported any issues in the global chat.

My random friend and I have built a small hut in the woods. Accidentally hit a triceratops and it killed us with our two pet dino's which was quite hilarious.

Honestly the most interesting game i've played in a long time.

if you host your own server can you ban/block people who end up being ah's?

Wanna jump in and play but I don't think the price tag is currently worth the content.

Last edited:
Just caved and bought it, been bored senseless all week and getting fed up of watching everyone else play it! stupidly buying it now when its unlikely i'll actually get to play it till Monday as i'll have family here for the weekend.

if you host your own server can you ban/block people who end up being ah's?

Wanna jump in and play but I don't think the price tag is currently worth the content.

Yes you can.

Server requirements are not much CPU wise, but it uses a lot of ram. I saw it using just over 5gb with 53 players online. I have it running on a celeron g1820 with 8gb of ram and 840 evo SSD. Everyone has commented that its one of the only servers to run really well :eek::D

Yes you can.

Server requirements are not much CPU wise, but it uses a lot of ram. I saw it using just over 5gb with 53 players online. I have it running on a celeron g1820 with 8gb of ram and 840 evo SSD. Everyone has commented that its one of the only servers to run really well :eek::D

that's cool, seen lots of complaints about stability too think I'll hold off until it is a bit more refined.

that's cool, seen lots of complaints about stability too think I'll hold off until it is a bit more refined.

You're missing out! For an EA game, the amount of content in there is amazing. I'm really, really addicted to this game now. It was like someone flicked a switch and it just hit me how awesome it is.

It's more than just a bog standard survival game. Hit stuff, build stuff, find stuff. The levelling / engram system works really well; you need to coordinate them between you and your tribe so you have everything covered between you.

Add to that the constant hunt for levels for those sweet sweet saddles, and the mystery of the obelisks and the quests at the bottom of them, the bestiary that gives you info each time you kill / tame dinos, the endless crafting / exploring options, and the overall 'feel' of it, and you've got a very impressive EA release.

Performance is still awful mind, but the devs have said it's their top priority now they've crammed loads of content in there.

If anyone wants to join in, I'm hosting a 100 slot server called "The Lemon Factory". If anyone jumps on from here, let me know and we'll do some exploring. We haven't been brave enough to head into the island yet. We're building a nice safe house on the coast, away from all the bigger stuff. :)

I keep reading 'EA game' and I want to spit on the floor and proclaim that I'm not buying their churned out rubbish (same deal with Ubisoft) and then I remember that EA isn't Electronic Arts but Early Access and everything is right in the world :D

Playing lastnight, built a 4x4 one floor base out of wood with friends, took a long time to gather the material but worth it, can now start to expand in the knowledge that we are hard to raid, get walls and a dino gate up :)

Impressed overall, doesn't run too badly either.

Back
Top Bottom