Arrival (2016).

Associate
easyrider;30491152 said:
No.

It shows a blinkered view...

I find people like that dull.

To blankly dismiss something without even giving it a go or chance.

I'm pretty sure most people have come across enough subtitles in films/TV to know whether they like them or not. It's entirely possible for people to spend long enough reading them that they're not actually watching the film any more, meaning they're not enjoying it. The fact you feel all superior about that says more about you than them.

easyrider;30491161 said:
The book is always better than the film...

You only have to look at the nonsense lord of the rings franchise that is utter dross.

Just like the books then (what a waste of 2 weeks they were)

easyrider;30491161 said:
Anyway back on topic please

Arrival...:p

Brilliant film. Not as good as the book :p

(I haven't read the book, just couldn't resist :D)

Caporegime
shorttricky;30491362 said:
It's entirely possible for people to spend long enough reading them that they're not actually watching the film any more, meaning they're not enjoying it.

:o

From an article from the net...

A couple of months ago, I addressed the issue of younger people categorically refusing to watch black and white movies. Now I’m turning my attention to the avoidance of foreign language films, a pattern which unfortunately is not just found among our youth.

Americans of all ages it seems are willing to forgo even outstanding movies that just happen to be made in a different language.

Obviously the reasons for this go beyond mere patriotism, so I went online to check out a few blogs on the subject.

I found some choice comments:

“Foreign movies tend to be ‘art-house’.”

“They’re just too boring to watch — no action.”

“Subtitles distract from watching the actual scenes.”

“Subtitles require my undivided attention.”

“Most foreign movies are crap.”

And my favorite:

“I don’t want to read my movie.”

Oh well, it is a free country.

Still, the same message holds for this group as for those twenty-somethings that only watch color movies: You are missing out, big time.

Beyond the unfortunate fact that more and more of the finest, most original narrative films today are coming from foreign shores, let’s consider the older stuff as well.

In all, it’s a treasure trove of cinema, reflecting everything this medium can and should be.

The actor Seymour Cassel told me several years ago that when his son was griping about watching a subtitled foreign movie, he just turned to him and asked, “You can read, can’t you?” The kid was silenced. (Granted, part of the impact lay in Seymour’s deadpan delivery.)

Reading subtitles is a lot like riding a bicycle. Practice not only makes perfect, soon enough it’s second nature so you don’t even notice you’re doing it. This particularly holds true when you’re watching something great.

With this in mind, I’ve isolated 25 foreign titles that every subtitle hater should see at least once (note: I have excluded silent entries). Though for the most part these are not light or easy films, they provide outsize rewards for those willing to watch and read at the same time.

1) M (1931)
2) Grand Illusion (1937)
3) Rome, Open City (1945)
4) Bicycle Thieves (1948)
5) Tokyo Story (1953)
6) Seven Samurai (1954)
7) Pather Panchali (1955)
8) The 400 Blows (1959)
9) 8 ½ (1963)
10) Playtime (1967)
11) War and Peace (1968)
12) Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)
13) The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (1972)
14) Amarcord (1974)
15) Fanny and Alexander (1982)
16) Ran (1985)
17) Au Revoir, Les Enfants (1987)
18) Close-Up (1990)
19) Raise The Red Lantern (1991)
20) Central Station (1998)
21) In The Mood For Love (2000)
22) Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)
23) Talk To Her (2002)
24) The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
25) The Lives Of Others (2006)

Caporegime
I don't normally mind watching subtitled films, but I couldn't do it often. It's nothing to do with having to read or concentrate on text/footage at the same time, it's that I just can't stand listening to foreign languages. :o Most of them sound unbearable to me, unless of course I can actually understand some of the language. I think it stems from being the only native English speaker in a college class a few years back, whilst the rest were Vietnamese and spoke their language at every single opportunity. It drove me nuts.

Soldato
Well I got well and truly bummed by Cineworld tonight. I went to see the "Extended" edition, on for one night only, but it was no such thing. There was a crappy behind the scenes documentary for about 5 minutes after the credits rolled but I was expecting extra movie!!!! :mad:

Associate
Man, what a waste of an evening. I wonder if there actually is an extended edition although I'm not sure what should be developed more in the story.

Permabanned
Man, what a waste of an evening. I wonder if there actually is an extended edition although I'm not sure what should be developed more in the story.

I'm not sure what they could build upon if there was an extended edition. It's one of those movies that benefits from handfuls of ambiguity imo.

Caporegime
I watched this earlier today and other than maybe offering up an alternative as to how coffee mug rings get on tables it didn't do very much for me ;)
I didn't see anything special in hers or anyone else's acting at all and...oh wait, there's no spoiler tags here yet. Well suffice to say I found quite a few things jarring with it.

Caporegime
Had to come and post this here. Really is worth a watch whether you're a fan of the film or not. Gets down to why so many people loved it imo.

I really like Arrival, the moment in the movie when you realise that the beginning of the movie is not the beginning but later on and turns your entire concept of whether language could be the limitation of understanding. I found the movie really smart, original and thought provoking.

It's much smarter than Highlander :p

Caporegime
Is it out on home release yet?
I'll echo what I said earlier. It's concept is nothing new, it's quite well executed but it such an air of smugness attached to it now that I'm actually getting annoyed by it lol.

Definately need to re see it.

Back
Top Bottom