AS SSD Benchmark benchmarks!

Associate
OCZ Vertex LE 100GB tests

Gigabyte 790FX UD5P board
Phenom II 965 @ 19x200 (3.8GHz)
4GB Dominator RAM (1600MHz, 8/8/8/24/T1)
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

SB750 SATA interface using MSAHCI driver.

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

SB750 SATA interface using AMD SATA AHCI driver (current catalyst version)

image006.jpg

image008.jpg

What was interesting is that when I was using the AMD driver, I checked to see if TRIM was working (I thought only the MS AHCI driver worked with trim) and I got a positive result (0 = trim enabled). Not that it mattered as it seems the MS driver is the way to go. Although I'd like to know where the AMD driver gets the extra 51% speed in 4k writes.

image010.jpg

Soldato
What was interesting is that when I was using the AMD driver, I checked to see if TRIM was working (I thought only the MS AHCI driver worked with trim) and I got a positive result (0 = trim enabled). Not that it mattered as it seems the MS driver is the way to go. Although I'd like to know where the AMD driver gets the extra 51% speed in 4k writes.

image010.jpg

TRIM will be flagged on only because windows detects you have an SSD. It doesn't actually indicate that it's working.

It can still only work with microsoft's drivers.

Associate
Ah interesting. So is there a fullproof way of knowing it is working?

Also I hear the OCZ firmware has background GC, so in theory you could live without TRIM and still have non-degrading speed?

Soldato
Ah interesting. So is there a fullproof way of knowing it is working?

Also I hear the OCZ firmware has background GC, so in theory you could live without TRIM and still have non-degrading speed?

no m8.As yet there is no flag to actually say that TRIM is actually working.

You could look at performance monitor at hdd activity after deleting a large file off the ssd and see if there's a lot of activity.

Not Ideal. :)

Soldato
Download and run CrystalDiskInfo ...if I remember correctly it does indicate whether or not TRIM is operational...I'm sure if that's not the case, someone will correct me.

taken from this thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15866516

Same applies here as in my comments above about the TRIM info in Crystal, this only lets you know TRIM is supported, and not an indicator that it is actually running i.e. the OS is sending the command but your HDD controller may or may not be implementing it.

Associate
I have no idea at all at the moment, i'm hoping someone on here who knows more about these things might be able to answer this question????

Man of Honour
Build now complete, so Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB with onboard Marvel 9123 SATA 3 6GB controller:

bench1.jpg
bench2.jpg

bench3r.jpg

Edit: updated using latest version of AS SSD.

Last edited:
Permabanned
2x30gb Agility raid0 on sb750 southbridge

2x30gbagility.png

drives are 10 months old and on new 1.5 firmware

AMD SB750 SATA Controller
Driver Version 3.1.1540.127

would be a lot faster on ich10r

just added this to my shopping list HighPoint RocketRAID 640 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller Card + another 30gb agility

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a little concerned about my recently bought OCZ Vertex LE 100GB as well.

I get 200 read/130 writes as well...

Am I doing something wrong? What needs tweaking?

Permabanned
Thanks for posting all benchmarks, looking through them, the Intel seems over priced based on performance of the benchmarks, the crucial, corsair and OCZ seem to be the best performing.

Anyone ran the latest SSD on ICH9R chipset i still have a x38 socket m/b link

Features SATA 3Gb/s with external SATA 2 bracket.

does that mean it is not worth buying an SSD ?

Soldato
X25-M 80GB.

x25mrw.jpg
x25miops.jpg

x25mcp.jpg

Ignoring benchmark figures this things feels just as fast as my now-dead RealSSD 128GB. Hopefully this Intel drive will live longer than two days....

Back
Top Bottom