Assetto Corsa

V F

V F

Soldato
The RUF weight transfer I find brutal compared to the F40. Makes you tippy toe more or less with the power.

Cool clip though.

Associate
I've started playing this again after a long break. Been looking for some track mods to get me interested again and found some real gems.

Bridgehampton in particular is a very well made track, looks and feels as good as anything built by the games devs and it's something different from the glut of GP circuits.

Unlike my rfactor days when I installed any and every track mod, I'm only lookin for quality these days and I'd also recommend Virginia, Riverside, Modena, Paul Ricard, Poznan and Cadwell Park, all can all be found on racedepartment.

Associate
riverside is fun in the 917 open top car with stupid boost :D

solitude is one of my favourites but really hard, and very fast opening section/middle section

some people have copied some tracks from automobalista which gives me mixed feelings, as they are superb tracks, and better in ams, but i cant do the combo's i can with ac :(

Soldato
Assetto in VR... - W O W ! :)

Need to get used to the VR a bit more (getting a bit dizzy on turns and slides atm despite solid 90fps), but even watching replays is mindblowing. Inside cameras, outside cameras - everything is so real, just amazing :)

Associate
I'm finding assetto in VR a mixed bag. Obviously immersion is there, but I find it difficult to see much clarity in the distsnce and there is a certain shimmering on some things.

I've changed pixel density to 1.6, tried post processing on and off, forced AA in the ini. file and none in game, then with AA in game...

Or do I need my eyes testing :p

Soldato
Clarity is a bit of a problem for me too, but it certainly seems raceable (although, like I said, I've not raced myself just yet - brain's getting used to VR. Its funny though as mum tried it yesterday and took to vr like duck to water - no dizziness at all, even in f1 replays :o She was wowed too btw :)). Olli Pahkala is one of the fastest simracers in the world and he swears by Oculus:
https://ollipahkala.wordpress.com/2016/06/19/virtual-reality-the-missing-element/
https://youtu.be/gtRxTNvMVyk

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see it doing much for clarity?

Each to their own on that one. Personally I don't have a problem, but obviously people have differing opinions. Computer games generally present a themselves in a playable medium, vr your at track level and looking at real distance, a far away bend actually is harder to see by definition alone. Granted there's ways to go in terms of general resolution of the hmd, but I don't think you'll ever see that pin sharp distance in vr like you do on a flat screen Image.

Associate
Each to their own on that one. Personally I don't have a problem, but obviously people have differing opinions. Computer games generally present a themselves in a playable medium, vr your at track level and looking at real distance, a far away bend actually is harder to see by definition alone. Granted there's ways to go in terms of general resolution of the hmd, but I don't think you'll ever see that pin sharp distance in vr like you do on a flat screen Image.
Yh don't get me wrong, you speak sense and I'm probably wishing more than expecting. I guess I find it to be a bit mixed, with some stuff quite good and other bits not great so perhaps a little jarring.

I've also noticed how much of a difference it makes for me as to how the headset is positioned on my face..slight adjustments seem to make differences so it's hard to get it spot on all the time.

Still, it's definitely an experience and I ended up doing my quickest lap round monza in VR compared to monitor with my new wheel :p

Soldato
Finally my brain has adapted somewhat - did a couple of races in MX5 vs Fiat500s at Valelunga without much dizziness. The big difference between VR and monitor is that the road is not 24"-27"-however-big-your-monitor-is wide, it is several meters wide! (Valelunga cliffs in spectator mode are like a three storey building right next to me)

Plus, because its stereo vision, laserscanned tracks in AC now have visible camber, gradients and such. So not only is it much easier to aim the car, but its is easy to see what to aim for. Same when battling other cars, I no longer have to give them "the other side of the track" i give them a couple of feet and feel comfortable few inches away from their wheels. Yet to try flying games, but driving in VR is sublime and I can see why people break their old monitor lap records too.

Associate
Thanks guys. Was working in control panel but not in game, had to change some settings in Steam but it's seeing it now!

AC is much better with the wheel! Need to think about a stand maybe as I'm just using the wheel clamped to the desk but good so far!

I've got the same wheel but have never tried it on AC (last played this when I still had my DFGT), do you think manual shifter is necessary or is paddle shifting sufficient?

Soldato
Manual shifter adds to the fun as you have to use techinques like heel-toe to downshift manual cars, imho its a must if your wheel supports one.

Associate
I will have to look in to this then, it may not be best option for me yet because of a lack of space, hopefully I can move rooms and will be able to have a proper setup rather than a makeshift one with wheel on desk.

I've never tried heel-toe, very limited experience of driving actual cars which is 30 odd lessons with my driving instructor lol

Back
Top Bottom