Assistance - Calling all Samsung EVO owners

Caporegime
How do I download HD Tach with Windows 7?

You can download it here. The MajorGeeks download location works.

When installed you need to right click on the shortcut, click on the compatibility tab and set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

Edit:

You also need to click that the program installed correctly at the end of the installation process.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your 1 TB drive is looking fairly healthy there surveyor?

How old is it? recently secure erased?

It's still showing signs of degradation compared to the 830 though but no where near yet as dramatic as others.

So it's on it's way to the lows of under 100MB performance but not there yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody know if "Secure Erasing" the drive fixes the issue temporarily? Is it possible to rollback to an old firmware (mine came with the latest)

Associate
OP
You probably don't know you have the problem Luke because you don't see it unless you look for it.

Doesn't mean it's not there.

Try running HDTune.

Ignorance is bliss in this case.

Caporegime
Never had any problems with my evo :confused:

Unlucky

I haven't noticed any problems either but the performance is a bit weird when compared to my other Samsung SSD (see above).

Post benchmarks so we can see if your drive exhibits this odd behaviour or if it shows all drives aren't affected.

A few minutes of your time would be appreciated.

Associate
Just checked mine - an 840 EVO 500GB :-

Disk1.jpg

That's mainly game files, and copied across from a HDD only a couple of months ago.

In comparison, my boot drive which is an 830 250GB :-

Disk2.jpg

Still pretty solid across the board and been a pretty active drive. :D

Not sure what's going on with the EVO though - massive fluctuations?

Update:-

Found I had old firmware on mine. Updated from EXT0BB0Q to EXT0BB6Q (almost thought I had bricked it - required a full power off and restart to take new fw properly) using ISO image from samsung support pages.

Quick test again and results the same as before. :(

Performed a full format of the drive in windows, then did another speed test....

Disk3.jpg

Better, but not the smooth high speed line as expected on a clean drive. Going to copy my backup back onto the drive and see if it gets as bad as before.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now that is interesting especially after a format.

That pulsing/step effect was something I was seeing and thought it rather odd.

Seems almost cyclic like buffer filling and being flushed over and over.

Unfortunately I can't secure erase my drive without major hassle so not going to do it.

Keep the tests coming. It's quite clear these drives are inconsistant.

The intresting thing is I doubt you would see this performance on a similarly cheap drive now like the MX100. Which makes the samsung drive pretty poor.

I think people are not reporting this issue because rapid mode helpds to mask it along with the rapid access time of an SSD even one that isn't working at peak performance.

Last edited:
Associate
Could you provide a link to the form you completed to report the issue to Samsung? If a few others of us start to raise the same issue then perhaps it will prompt more action/response from them...

Associate
I have passed the info from this post across to Samsung and I am also waiting on them coming back to me with an answer for you guys. I will chase them up and see what they say.

Associate
OP
I got the form e-mailed to me once I e-mailed their support and they have been really genuine and helpful so far giving me the impression they will look at it.

So I would just e-mail them because they ask for a few other things e-mailed. I also attached some HD tune comparrison runs against my equally full Sandisk to prove the issue.

The end result remains to be seen.

Excellent news Abarrass, please let us know

Associate
It gets stranger - I've copied my game data back to the drive, which has about 60GB free at the moment, and ran another speed test..

Disk4.jpg

Seems to be the same peaky pattern with the odd section at full speed which wasn't there before. Puzzling....

....and just to prove it's not a test application quirk -

Disk5.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ah, well this is a shame! I was looking to buy a 500MB or perhaps 1TB EVO the end of the month.. After reading this thread I'm now leaning towards the 512MB MX100.

I will watch this thread with interest!

Associate
OP
Certainly unless they can fix this I would go with the MX100.

You get a proven marvell controller and proven MLC nand rather than the TLC nand in the evo which could be the source of this issue if it is not a firmware bug.

Back
Top Bottom