ASUS 42" ROG Swift PG42UQ

Associate
What sort of desk size are you guys using with this monitor? (how deep are your desks?)

Thanks
I have a corner desk (80-120cm deep) extended with two rectangular (80cm deep). PG42UQ will be on Ergotron arm in the corner and XG438Q will be on its stand next to it. Enough depth to have computers, soundbards, large mouse mats etc. on the table as well.

Soldato
Windows 10 at 100% scale using fancyzones to quick snap applications around the desktop.
It’s great for my use and I much prefer it to my 34” 1440p ultrawide for desktop tasks and it feels like the perfect upgrade from my 27” original rog swift, performance is excellent and then OLED image quality on top compared to the old TN panel is something else.

Associate
Windows 10 at 100% scale using fancyzones to quick snap applications around the desktop.
It’s great for my use and I much prefer it to my 34” 1440p ultrawide for desktop tasks and it feels like the perfect upgrade from my 27” original rog swift, performance is excellent and then OLED image quality on top compared to the old TN panel is something else.
Thank you for that, work gave us 4k laptops with 17" screens and its unusable, I guess with this being 42" it scales better?

Soldato
Scale wise and reading text it just feels like a much bigger 27” 1440p desktop to me.
I only pushed it back away from me until the text looked similar. Maybe 20cm further back.

Maybe someone can workout the pixel density difference between 27” 2560x1440 and 42” 3840x2160, can’t be much in it?

Doesn’t feel a strain to read text and not having to move back or look around too much to see all the screen.

Here we go, quoted from Simon’s review
The pixel pitch is 0.2421 mm here, so the text is the same equivalent size as a 21″ 1080p monitor (so smaller and denser text than common 23 – 24″ 1080p models which is nice), and also the same as a hypothetical 28″ 1440p model (so slightly larger text than a common 27″ 1440p screen). So it’s a comfortable and decent text size, and a good sized screen for 4K resolution without scaling for desktop use.

Last edited:
Associate
Scale wise and reading text it just feels like a much bigger 27” 1440p desktop to me.
I only pushed it back away from me until the text looked similar. Maybe 20cm further back.

Maybe someone can workout the pixel density difference between 27” 2560x1440 and 42” 3840x2160, can’t be much in it?

Doesn’t feel a strain to read text and not having to move back or look around too much to see all the screen.

Here we go, quoted from Simon’s review

Spot on, thank you very much for that :)

Will keep my eye on this screen :)

Associate
Everyone still running black backgrounds/taskbar hiding techniques like recommended with the LG TVs? I'm assuming so and am doing so myself, but just interested either way.

Managed to rig some extension bits onto my 300x200 adapter plate to be able to mount it on my HX arm, working well and nice to have the freedom to move it about again. Hoping the newer firmware update is out this week and helps with the brightness dimming I'm still seeing.

Associate
How’s it going?

I’ve just noticed the printed words on the side of the remote :cry:
Does everyone have a typo?
I have the same typo on my remote :)

Going well! Package was intact, panel was intact. No dead pixels (at least have not found any yet).

installed Neomounts FPMA-VESA425 on the display, no issues there. Mounted the Ergotron HX detachable vesa head and with a little help from the wifey dropped the display in place. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Will be even better when we get the FW that @Baddass used in the review, but so far like a night and day between the previous one. I can provide a pic from the mount installation if anyone is interested.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Everyone still running black backgrounds/taskbar hiding techniques like recommended with the LG TVs? I'm assuming so and am doing so myself, but just interested either way.

Managed to rig some extension bits onto my 300x200 adapter plate to be able to mount it on my HX arm, working well and nice to have the freedom to move it about again. Hoping the newer firmware update is out this week and helps with the brightness dimming I'm still seeing.

i have dark mode on everything and use the dark reader browser extension also have desktop icons off, taskbar autohide and i have my desktop wallpaper set to slideshow rotating every 1 min with around 20 images in the folder (might change to 10mins tho)

i also try and minimse windows when not in use and i randomly move any open browser/explorer/application windows around the screen every few minutes

if i am stepping away from my desk for a while then Win Key + M minimess all the windows at once so i have no static elements and only have the rotating background

the remote is handy too because if i know i wont be at my desk for 10-15mins i just turn it off

i also have the winstep nexus dock that ive set to autohide at the top of the screen
i use that for my common desktop icons and for a link to the desktop folder so i can access it easily without seeing it

a lot of what i do probably is probably not needed but better extra safe then sorry if it burns in

Soldato
I've just left all the screen protection things on default and set my screensaver to mystify after 2 minutes, standby display after 5 minutes.
I generally have dark themes auto hide taskbar anyway.
Other than that, I'm using it as a monitor as it is intended.
Plus calibrated to 120cd/m2 it's even less likely to get any burn in than default high brightness?

Impressed with the built-in speakers, been using them to watch random YouTube videos rather than headphones and they sound pretty good, even a bit of bass.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading the TFT Central review it's a pity Asus decided to make the image quality significantly worse in the default HDR setup with the new firmware just for slightly higher peak brightness when the original firmware had it all set up so well and you'd never notice such a minor change in brightness anyway. I hate when manufacturers do this for marketing reasons; still it's a great monitor with many useful and interesting features.

Last edited:
Associate
i have dark mode on everything and use the dark reader browser extension also have desktop icons off, taskbar autohide and i have my desktop wallpaper set to slideshow rotating every 1 min with around 20 images in the folder (might change to 10mins tho)

i also try and minimse windows when not in use and i randomly move any open browser/explorer/application windows around the screen every few minutes

if i am stepping away from my desk for a while then Win Key + M minimess all the windows at once so i have no static elements and only have the rotating background

the remote is handy too because if i know i wont be at my desk for 10-15mins i just turn it off

i also have the winstep nexus dock that ive set to autohide at the top of the screen
i use that for my common desktop icons and for a link to the desktop folder so i can access it easily without seeing it

a lot of what i do probably is probably not needed but better extra safe then sorry if it burns in
Thinking i may do the same and grab a bunch of wallpapers to rotate, the black screen is getting a little boring especially considering the beauty of OLED. i was getting tired of it on the CX48.

Associate
I have a 60cm deep desk and actually it’s fine. You could get it a bit further away using a monitor arm or wall mounted but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Came from a 34” ultra wide. This monitor is miles better.

You almost use the monitor like a canvas for your windows in desktop mode.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same typo on my remote :)

Going well! Package was intact, panel was intact. No dead pixels (at least have not found any yet).

installed Neomounts FPMA-VESA425 on the display, no issues there. Mounted the Ergotron HX detachable vesa head and with a little help from the wifey dropped the display in place. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Will be even better when we get the FW that @Baddass used in the review, but so far like a night and day between the previous one. I can provide a pic from the mount installation if anyone is interested.
I wouldn't mind seeing the pics. I can't even figure out where the mounts are. Is it those rubber things on the back?

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Looks like my week old unit has developed a fault

theres a big lots of lines going across the screen but theres a big one in the middle...

will rma in the morning

o2HMPVh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom