** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Caporegime
What about bleed and IPS glow? Good or bad?

And one more question :p

Is motion clarity as good as the acer screen?

Decent contrast ratio, quite similar to the 29um65!

Soldato
ok a couple of comments.

It's using the exact same panel as the Acer XB270HU (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3 AHVA (IPS-type)). The overdrive control is a little different though so response times vary a little between the Asus and Acer. The optimum Trace Free setting is 80 and delivers a good IPS response time performance. Default contrast ratio is excellent at ~1200:1, down to about 1090:1 after calibration but still excellent. default setup is good as well, although some of the presets are a little limited in function. light AG coating as per other recent IPS-type panels

Thanks for the comments, but, can you give us your honest first time impression of taking it out of the box and turning it on.

Did you think "wow, nice monitor", or did you go "meh" :)

Soldato
Thanks for the comments, but, can you give us your honest first time impression of taking it out of the box and turning it on.

Did you think "wow, nice monitor", or did you go "meh" :)

He most likely went "this reminds me of the Acer XB270HU". ;)

I very much look forward to the review - don't let these impatient folk pressure you into divulging too much pre-review information, Baddass. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
He most likely went "this reminds me of the Acer XB270HU". ;)

I very much look forward to the review - don't let these impatient folk pressure you into divulging too much pre-review information, Baddass. ;)

i won't. people are going to have to wait until the review is completed now. i've got lots to test and don't want to draw conclusions too quickly. I don't see the point in really commenting on my first impressions taking it out of the box. Maybe a screen might look amazing, but when you use it and test it, it could be a lemon! or visa versa :)

Soldato
i won't. people are going to have to wait until the review is completed now. i've got lots to test and don't want to draw conclusions too quickly. I don't see the point in really commenting on my first impressions taking it out of the box. Maybe a screen might look amazing, but when you use it and test it, it could be a lemon! or visa versa :)

Badass said it's amazing!

Soldato
ok a couple of comments.

It's using the exact same panel as the Acer XB270HU (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3 AHVA (IPS-type)). The overdrive control is a little different though so response times vary a little between the Asus and Acer. The optimum Trace Free setting is 80 and delivers a good IPS response time performance. Default contrast ratio is excellent at ~1200:1, down to about 1090:1 after calibration but still excellent. default setup is good as well, although some of the presets are a little limited in function. light AG coating as per other recent IPS-type panels

Nice, 1200:1 is excellent for IPS and better than the Acer, what is the input lag? Also does it work at 144hz properly now? and does freesync work 35-90hz with overdrive and 90-144hz without overdrive but with freesync still working? Or is it 35-90hz with overdrive then you have to limit FPS to 89 to avoid tearing or lag etc.? Can you put the ASCR and if it is any good in your review... I noticed you do not have that section anymore... The dynamic contrast on my 20wgx2 is actually quite good and helps in games with dark areas etc. Most of them are useless but don't know about ASCR... Was the monitor sent by asus or is it a retail one? Hopefully all of the retail versions have that contrast ratio. When will the full review be up?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice, 1200:1 is excellent for IPS and better than the Acer
yep, a bit better, although note that after calibration the Asus is only about 90:1 more than the Acer

what is the input lag? Also does it work at 144hz properly now?
You'll have to wait for the review for lag measurements. I need to fully test 144Hz but so far it looks like thats fixed as intended in the latest firmware :)

and does freesync work 35-90hz with overdrive and 90-144hz without overdrive but with freesync still working? Or is it 35-90hz with overdrive then you have to limit FPS to 89 to avoid tearing or lag etc.?

If you enable FreeSync from graphics card/ monitor setting then you are limited to max 90Hz refresh rate. FreeSync range only operates 35 - 90 Hz as per the spec. If you disable FreeSync you can run screen at higher refresh rates up to 144Hz. The overdrive (Trace Free) certainly works from an NVIDIA card at all refresh rates, but obviously you can't use Freesync. I've yet to hook it up to my FreeSync card to check overdrive behaviour there, with and without FreeSync range enabled. will be in the review :)

Can you put the ASCR and if it is any good in your review... I noticed you do not have that section anymore... The dynamic contrast on my 20wgx2 is actually quite good and helps in games with dark areas etc. Most of them are useless but don't know about ASCR...

I scrapped it because nearly all of them are a waste of time. i don't know many people who even use it! the DCR has a rating of 100 million:1 on this screen. im expecting that if you put a 100% all black screen on the backlight is turned off after x seconds. not sure i can be bothered to test it to be honest

Was the monitor sent by asus or is it a retail one? Hopefully all of the retail versions have that contrast ratio. When will the full review be up?

it was from Asus, but it's a proper retail unit etc. it's one of the only samples in the UK so far and has been updated with the fixed firmware. no reason to think other samples would behave differently when it comes to CR. Full review should be about a week or so i think

Soldato
Thanks for reply... does the input lag seem very low in use? Similar to the acer which is under 1 frame at 144hz? ... I am hoping this monitor has very low input lag because I will mainly use it for FPS games. Shame about the 90hz limit but I guess you can limit the FPS to 89fps/hz and it will not go into normal vsync or tearing without Vsync? Anyway I will wait for your review but I want to know because I have already pre ordered it. Keep up the good work your website is the best monitor review site! Also does it have gamma controls in the OSD?

Last edited:
Associate
Just sent back a U2515h due to yellow tinge. Lovely monitor though and going back to my 24" 1080p TN Iiyama is not great by any means. I hope this monitor reviews well, as it's everything I want with the added perks of 144hz and freesync. Very much looking forward to the full review!

Soldato
Just sent back a U2515h due to yellow tinge. Lovely monitor though and going back to my 24" 1080p TN Iiyama is not great by any means. I hope this monitor reviews well, as it's everything I want with the added perks of 144hz and freesync. Very much looking forward to the full review!

Dont you mean 144hz OR Freesync.

Soldato
I planned to get freesync when I pre ordered the monitor... but the problem with freesync is that currently AMD cards basically suck to be honest, nvidia cards are better in every way except price and also the price of Gsync... AMD cards have horrible performance in proj cars and other games and this will continue to happen due to nvidia gameworks, nvidia drivers are better and have better features... TDP is miles better... Argh I am having a very hard time convincing myself to buy an AMD card.

Really annoying how stupidly expensive it is to buy a good set up with adaptive sync... for example a 1440p 144hz Gsync + a 980ti is going to cost £1300... That is ******* ridiculous for a graphics card and IPS monitor :(

Back
Top Bottom