** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
I wouldn't say that nvidia have been "caught with their pants down" currently they are doing a lot better than AMD in every area.... Anyway I hope AMD do well and that the Fury cards are worth buying.. I need adaptive sync and I am not paying £700+ for an IPS screen with Gsync. They need to release a nice product at lower than the 980ti price and it will probably sell ok.
He was not talking about the business as a whole though, but strictly about the Nvidia's lack of interest, involvement or expectation of HBM being released on consumer level products.

Last edited:
Soldato
The screen looks good but I know the IPS glow and contrast will bother me... But then IPS looks nice as long as it is not dark... and there is nothing else available or coming out except 21:9 144hz VA screens but they will have very low PPI and I don't know if I even want a 21:9 curved screen anyway. I need to see this review to decide whether to get this or not! If it has high input lag or anything like that I will definitely be cancelling the order.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been tempted by this over the last month or so, but I think I'm out.

Gunna wait for die shrink GPUs, maybe a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade if skylake is amazing compared to my 2600k, and hopefully a "ticks all the boxes" screen will be out at the same time then :)

Wish me luck at the waiting game

Associate
Not that I know of but then the one I have I believe is an original version which has been updated by Asus before it was sent to me. All forthcoming stock should be new version as they mostly caught it before anywhere had it in stock. I think some places in Europe has early batch so I'd maybe avoid those or check with them if it's old or new ver. I don't think new ver is with anywhere yet though so if anyone is selling it now it's probably the old firmware

Thanks man, you always answer with no reserve, rare quality these days. Thanks again!

Soldato
I've been tempted by this over the last month or so, but I think I'm out.

Gunna wait for die shrink GPUs, maybe a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade if skylake is amazing compared to my 2600k, and hopefully a "ticks all the boxes" screen will be out at the same time then :)

Wish me luck at the waiting game

Skylake is about 10-15% faster than Haswell. Which is relatively good for intel but nothing "amazing". Prob worth upgrading from a 2600k though they are getting old.

Soldato
A week or so. I've promised Asus it would not be published until stock is ready but it's not finished yet anyway. Waiting to firm up a date still but it will be online as soon as I can :)

Damn I was hoping to see the review before stock was out so I can check everything is alright before my pre-order gets dispatched...

Can you tell me one thing.. What is the input lag? Or if you don't know that can you post it when you find out?

Everything else looks good as long as freesync works at 35-90hz with overdrive and 144hz works.. But I pre-ordered this because I want a monitor with very low input lag..

Last edited:
Soldato
A week or so. I've promised Asus it would not be published until stock is ready but it's not finished yet anyway. Waiting to firm up a date still but it will be online as soon as I can :)

Can't wait for the review and thanks for drip feeding us information :)

Soldato
Just the input lag! Please post that when you find out! Or if asus does not want you to give out numbers then something like "under 10ms"... Thanks

Associate
Quick impression maybe ? ;)

Baddass gave us more than anyone that had/have mg279q in their possession.

It's using the exact same panel as the Acer XB270HU (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3 AHVA (IPS-type)). The overdrive control is a little different though so response times vary a little between the Asus and Acer. The optimum Trace Free setting is 80 and delivers a good IPS response time performance. Default contrast ratio is excellent at ~1200:1, down to about 1090:1 after calibration but still excellent. default setup is good as well, although some of the presets are a little limited in function. light AG coating as per other recent IPS-type panels

Last edited:
Soldato
I know, Baddass already said the screen is size 5 awesome and makes other screens look like lemons.

Last edited:
Associate
Can I just say a big thank you to Simon(Baddass) for keeping everyone informed about the issues with this and the BenQ XL2730Z and for being virtually the only source of info on the freesync issues to date.
It certainly has made the wait for these products a bit easier. I cant believe that nothing has come out officially from these manufacturers about these issues. Poor PR for the companies but great PR for TFT Central.

Looking forward to the Asus Dominator review Baddass as it will influence my decision somewhat on the purchase I am about to make.

Thanks for all your info and hard work. Much appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
Can I just say a big thank you to Simon(Baddass) for keeping everyone informed about the issues with this and the BenQ XL2730Z and for being virtually the only source of info on the freesync issues to date.
It certainly has made the wait for these products a bit easier. I cant believe that nothing has come out officially from these manufacturers about these issues. Poor PR for the companies but great PR for TFT Central.

Looking forward to the Asus Dominator review Baddass as it will influence my decision somewhat on the purchase I am about to make.

Great post definately reiteriated by myself!

Man of Honour

you're welcome :) try to help where i can. still got some bits and pieces to finish for the MG279Q review and trying to coordinate with Asus when i can publish it as like i said before, i've agreed to time it with their stock launch.

A bit more info for you though - i've confirmed the overdrive (Trace Free) setting DOES work from a FreeSync system properly. That's the first FreeSync screen i've tested which allows overdrive to work correctly :) good news!

Back
Top Bottom