** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
One thing I want to know is how does this screen compare to the PB278QR for colour/contrast. I have a PB278QR at work and love it but would want the Gaming/Work mix at home so this seems like the perfect solution.

I know Badass cannot comment on this until release so can't wait for his review.

Soldato
you're welcome :) try to help where i can. still got some bits and pieces to finish for the MG279Q review and trying to coordinate with Asus when i can publish it as like i said before, i've agreed to time it with their stock launch.

A bit more info for you though - i've confirmed the overdrive (Trace Free) setting DOES work from a FreeSync system properly. That's the first FreeSync screen i've tested which allows overdrive to work correctly :) good news!

Nice thanks, anything on the input lag?

Associate
I had this pre-ordered on OCUK but cancelled when the delays happened with the intention of getting a different monitor, no competitor talk please!

Associate
Interesting!

B sure to update us when u recieve it if u dont mind, soleyl concerning the quality of the monitor and ur general views

we r like a dog with a bone in this thread!

I see my prev post was deleted, apologies i didnt release i was infringing on the rules with such a general comment :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i'm hoping i can publish my review very soon too. it's finished, but pending confirmation with Asus as i'd agreed to time it with stock availability.

Associate
As soon as it arrives I'll be sure to update. I didn't realise that simply acknowledging other stores exist was an infraction, I guess I should have a signature with a link to a website that has paid ads for competitors instead, that seems to be the loophole.

Soldato
i'm hoping i can publish my review very soon too. it's finished, but pending confirmation with Asus as i'd agreed to time it with stock availability.

Argh I want to read it now.. If it is finished can you tell me the input lag or something like <7ms lag if you cannot tell me the exact number?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Argh I want to read it now.. If it is finished can you tell me the input lag or something like <7ms lag if you cannot tell me the exact number?

haha you're so keen aren't you on the impact lag :) ok, i wasn't going to say anything more until the review, but (off the top of my head) the total display lag is about 18ms at 60Hz, a few ms lower as you increase refresh rate. think it was about 14ms at 90Hz which was upper Freesync range. but lag was lowest at 144Hz where it was ~5ms total lag.

for all those measurements about 3.3ms of that can be accounted for by pixel response times, so you can calc estimated signal processing delay from there.

that's pretty standard lag numbers for gaming screens with a scaler, including the Acer XG270HU and BenQ XL2730Z. BenQ goes lower when you then add the 'instant mode' benefit on. The Acer XB270HU and Asus ROG Swift PG278Q are lower at next to nothing because they don't have any scaler and so it bypasses a lot of internal electronics, going straight to their G-sync modules

Soldato
Nice one thanks.. Bit disappointing the lag at 60-90hz , the Dell 2515h is better at 60hz, but I assume if using freesync at 35-90hz vs 60hz + vsync, the input lag would work out better compared to the Dell, as it would just be 18ms at 60hz on the asus w/ freesync vs 14ms + 1 frame ~30ms for Vsync on the Dell? ... But if using Vsync on the Asus (eg. with an Nvidia card with no freesync support) it would work out slightly worse than the Dell.

The input lag on the Asus looks very good at 144hz...

Is the input lag decided by the framerate? For example if you are running at 144hz but only at 72fps, would you get the 5ms input lag or would that be down to 10ms / worse if it was at 72fps?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is the input lag decided by the framerate? For example if you are running at 144hz but only at 72fps, would you get the 5ms input lag or would that be down to 10ms / worse if it was at 72fps?

i don't believe the frame rate has any bearing on the signal processing lag. quite a few monitors seem to offer lower lag when at max refresh rate.

Soldato
Good job as usual with the review...

Another question about input lag...

Between 35-90hz with freesync, what would be the actual lag?

Would it be the same as on the review (16.6-17ms)? Or does freesync add more lag? I read about "freesync vsync on" and "freesync vsync off" ... does the "freesync vsync on" mode add an additional frame of lag on top? Or does that only add lag when at the max freesync refresh rate (90hz), where normal Vsync will override freesync?

Compared to a 60hz screen with 14ms input lag, with the 60hz screen you would have 14ms lag + 16ms lag from Vsync = 30ms lag... Is this monitor going to be better than that when using "freesync + Vsync on" eg. you will be getting the amount of lag in the review which would be 16.6-17ms lag and nothing else on top of that (except if you get to 90fps/hz and Vsync overrides freesync)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didn't test every refresh between 60 and 90 but the lag remains fairly stable between those so it's somewhere around the 16ms mark. Vsync, if turned on, only applies when out of freesync range, not while operating with freesync on. So you should avoid any additional graphics card lag associated with using vsync by using freesync here

Soldato
I didn't test every refresh between 60 and 90 but the lag remains fairly stable between those so it's somewhere around the 16ms mark. Vsync, if turned on, only applies when out of freesync range, not while operating with freesync on. So you should avoid any additional graphics card lag associated with using vsync by using freesync here

So the actual overall lag when using freesync will be 16.6-17ms total.... Whereas the actual lag when using a 60hz Vsync screen would be 14ms (screen lag) + 16ms (Vsync lag) = 30ms lag.... So overall the Freesync screen will end up faster ... ?

And if I was to run the screen at 144hz refresh rate but 72fps (with Vsync 1/2 refresh) I would get 4ms display lag + ~15ms Vsync lag = ~19ms lag ... ?

Apologies for all questions about input lag... but the monitor I have ATM (NEC 20WGX2) has a bit too much lag and I want to check this will be an improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom