** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

How big a deal is the lack of blur reduction? I'm coming from a 60Hz IPS, debating between this and the upcoming Asus IPS 144Hz screen... likely more dictated by which GPU I end up getting though. The price of this makes it very attractive I must say.

It seems like an excellent monitor and the low latency and higher than expected contrast ratio is a really big plus for me.

My only question is have Asus got the quality assurance right for retail.

I no like...

90hz Freesync range wow that is terrible it should work from 30 to 144hz thats the whole point! ULMB also does this very annoying not to mention all the extra res goes into a panel that is for me too big. Take all those 1440p pixels and squeeze that on a 24 inch IPS panel with improved contrast. To see them all floating around 1000:1 is painful because black is going to be grey. :(

Last edited:
I no like...

90hz Freesync range wow that is terrible it should work from 30 to 144hz thats the whole point! ULMB also does this very annoying not to mention all the extra res goes into a panel that is for me too big. Take all those 1440p pixels and squeeze that on a 24 inch IPS panel with improved contrast. To see them all floating around 1000:1 is painful because black is going to be grey. :(

Good post thx :/

Does running at 144hz make any of the image quality measurements worse? I remember reading about some screens where running at 120+hz made the gamma worse (possibly some other measurements I cant remember)

Thanks so much for this review Baddass!! I just hope that my monitor doesn't come with dead pixels other than that from review MG279Q is just what I need. I really needed bright monitor for photoshop work and it looks like it's going to be fine.

Baddass from the review and from the numbers monitor appears to be bight, but can just say is the monitor generally bright? Really need this information because i will be using potoshop vs gaming 80:20. Can't afford £500 for dim monitor :(

Thanks once again for best monitor review! ;)

Nice Review Baddass. Actually great review.

This monitor looks to be worth the asking price even without the Freesync.

I have a question for you, If you had to choose one monitor to use for the next year would it be this or the BenQ XL2730Z? You have reviewed both so I would be interested in your answer.

This really looks like my next monitor, it really does.

Thanks Baddass, ill certain make a donation to TFTc at the next availible oppourtunity

Some things that are concerning me, maybe they r small but i dunno...

I am skeptical as to why this model is not classfied as part of the ROG gaming brand? Esp when the next Asus 1440p and 144hz (IPS panel) model will be, is that because Freesync cannot be used over 90hz and the new Asus Gsync can be used up to 144hz? Is the ROG branding now exclusive to Nvidia?

and i was under the impression what it was the IPS panels limitations that did not allow Freesync to be used above 90 hz yet the same panel supports Gsync up too 144hz?

Who makes a 144hz panel with the thought that your going to be using it for the majority @ 90hz? it doesnt make sense to me

The lack of blur reduction is also alarming, if u can notice that the panel does not use blur reduction that inducates to me that the image is blurred? even slightly?

I am a complete monitor novice so i am not trying to give an expert opinion, far from it but from my limited time educating myself about monitors prior to purchasing one, these things in the review seem to stick out for me....

and thanks again Baddass great review (thse questions are not directed soley to you btw), i enjoyed reading the sections i understood :p

Last edited:
and thanks again Baddass great review (thse questions are not directed soley to you btw), i enjoyed reading the sections i understood :p

So like me, you probably understood "it's pretty" and "the pixels are shiny" :rolleyes: :D

I am skeptical as to why this model is not classfied as part of the ROG gaming brand? Esp when the next Asus 1440p and 144hz model will be, is that because Freesync cannot be used over 90hz and the new Asus Gsync can be used up to 144hz? Is the ROG branding now exclusive to Nvidia?

and i was under the impression what it was the IPS panels limitations that did not allow Freesync to be used above 90 hz yet the same panel supports Gsync up too 144hz?

Who makes a 144hz panel with the thought that your going to be using it for the majority @ 90hz? it doesnt make sense to me

I would bet that by Christmas they will release a ROG version will full 144hz freesync support. They'll prob charge nearer to £700 so that it "competes" with the Acer Gsync variant, but yeah, willing to bet a freddo on that one...

EDIT: Having said that, I'll be waiting on what AMD bring to the table next week, and user feedback too. Great technical review Badass! Wanna hear what users first impressions are as well :D

So the actual overall lag when using freesync will be 16.6-17ms total.... Whereas the actual lag when using a 60hz Vsync screen would be 14ms (screen lag) + 16ms (Vsync lag) = 30ms lag.... So overall the Freesync screen will end up faster ... ?

And if I was to run the screen at 144hz refresh rate but 72fps (with Vsync 1/2 refresh) I would get 4ms display lag + ~15ms Vsync lag = ~19ms lag ... ?

Apologies for all questions about input lag... but the monitor I have ATM (NEC 20WGX2) has a bit too much lag and I want to check this will be an improvement.

assuming those are the correct "lag" numbers associated with applying Vsync at a graphics card level, those calculations seem to make sense. IF you're really sensitive to lag, perhaps you might be better looking at something like the BenQ XL2730Z which will offer full 40 - 144Hz FreeSync range but has an "instant mode" for reducing lag?

How big a deal is the lack of blur reduction? I'm coming from a 60Hz IPS, debating between this and the upcoming Asus IPS 144Hz screen... likely more dictated by which GPU I end up getting though. The price of this makes it very attractive I must say.

Blur reduction is very efficient at reducing perceived motion blur. have a read of this article for a lot more info. it cannot be used at the same time as FreeSync/G-sync, but a lot of people prefer to have the blur reducing benefits and just stick with a standard refresh rate level. Depends on your needs and what you're used to. I would definitely say you will want to base your decision on your graphics card preference though whether you get a FreeSync or G-sync/ULMB screen

I no like...

A problem if you're going to be able to reach more than 90 fps consistently at 2560 x 1440 res, but i suspect that's not an issue many people will face. 1087:1 contrast ratio after calibration is very good, much better than older IPS generations which were more like 600 - 800:1. True, it's not as high as VA panels, but i wouldn't say that blacks will appear grey!

Does running at 144hz make any of the image quality measurements worse? I remember reading about some screens where running at 120+hz made the gamma worse (possibly some other measurements I cant remember)

no difference at all

Baddass from the review and from the numbers monitor appears to be bight, but can just say is the monitor generally bright? Really need this information because i will be using potoshop vs gaming 80:20. Can't afford £500 for dim monitor :(

well yeah, it's bright at 100% certainly = 346 cd/m2 isn't dim :)

I have a question for you, If you had to choose one monitor to use for the next year would it be this or the BenQ XL2730Z? You have reviewed both so I would be interested in your answer.

well that obviously depends on personal uses. Since i'm not a gamer, I'd select the Asus for it's all round performance and IPS panel certainly.

Thanks Baddass, ill certain make a donation to TFTc at the next availible oppourtunity

Some things that are concerning me, maybe they r small but i dunno...

I am skeptical as to why this model is not classfied as part of the ROG gaming brand? Esp when the next Asus 1440p and 144hz (IPS panel) model will be, is that because Freesync cannot be used over 90hz and the new Asus Gsync can be used up to 144hz? Is the ROG branding now exclusive to Nvidia?

The lack of blur reduction is also alarming, if u can notice that the panel does not use blur reduction that inducates to me that the image is blurred? even slightly?

I am a complete monitor novice so i am not trying to give an expert opinion, far from it but from my limited time educating myself about monitors prior to purchasing one, these things in the review seem to stick out for me....

I'm not entirely sure why it's not a ROG branded screen. Maybe it's something to do with NVIDIA vs AMD, maybe it's just because they wanted to keep costs of the screen down and putting it as part of that premium lineup would add cost. I think it's either a FreeSync limitation or an Asus limitation that it can only support up to 90Hz. The panel can obviously handle it whern paired with NVIDIA G-sync. but maybe that's a function of the G-sync module which is an added extra on that screen (Acer XB270HU) and the fact the MG279Q doesn't have any extra module to support FreeSync might mean it's more limited.

Blur reduction is an actual mode / feature on some monitors. it's not something running all the time or anything. so if you weren;'t using blur reduction on the Acer XB270HU for instance, you get very comparable levels of perceived user motion blur between that screen and the Asus MG279Q. have a look at the pursuit camera tests for instance which give an indication of the levels of blurring you're likely to experience when tracking moving objects across the screen as a user. it's designed to mimmick what the eye would see. Blur Reduction modes cannot be used with G-sync or freeSync at the same time, but if you enable them it strobes the backlight on and off and greatly reduces motion blur as the user sees it. kind of like a CRT does with its scanning backlight.

Good review and performance seems decent ... particularly contrast. But good god, that IPS glow is awful - no way i could ever live with that.

Either I'll get an XL2730Z or an MG278Q (TN version of this) ... or just continue waiting and hope for some more VA panels.

Thanks for the good review. Unfortunately it appears there's still no "perfect" IPS to make my decision over a TN an easy one. The freesync range isn't what I want as I intend buying a card that goes past 90fps regularly in the games I play. Lack of motion blur sounds like a bit of a miss as well.

Does any tearing become apparent between 91 and 144 fps when gaming on this monitor?

Thanks for the good review. Unfortunately it appears there's still no "perfect" IPS to make my decision over a TN an easy one. The freesync range isn't what I want as I intend buying a card that goes past 90fps regularly in the games I play. Lack of motion blur sounds like a bit of a miss as well.

Does any tearing become apparent between 91 and 144 fps when gaming on this monitor?

If you're not using VSync, then there will be tearing above 90fps. Whether or not you notice this is quite subjective. Some users (me, for example) notice this quite readily, although it is less pronounced at higher rather than lower frame rates. Motion Blur Reduction requires that you are laser-locked to a frame rate = refresh rate situation anyway, so isn't really practical for most users unless they're happy to knock back the graphics settings. For competitive gamers playing games like CS:GO it can make sense, but for your average gamer it's not a feature that really sees much use.

If you're not using VSync, then there will be tearing above 90fps. Whether or not you notice this is quite subjective.

This monitor isn't what I want then. I don't upgrade regularly and have determined I want glacial smoothness if achievable. Looks like I need to look elsewhere for a monitor, which is a bummer as I was quite stoked for an IPS panel.

This monitor isn't what I want then. I don't upgrade regularly and have determined I want glacial smoothness if achievable. Looks like I need to look elsewhere for a monitor, which is a bummer as I was quite stoked for an IPS panel.

I see less and less value in IPS, even though responsiveness and refresh rates are finally seeing some improvement ... colours have caught up on 8bit TN. You're effectively paying for higher viewing angles (moot mostly for gaming) and less colour shift. The IPS glow on cheap IPS is absolutely horrific (for me), though ...

Just wish we'd see more VA ... contrast is awesome, and potentially they're more responsive than IPS and don't have the glow issues, plus viewing angles / lack of colour shift is nearly as good.

Hopefully the 35" 144hz VA panel is the thin end of the wedge.

Back
Top Bottom