** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

It seems to be a game of russian roulette as to whether you'll get a good one or not!

If I'm not mistaken aren't whites meant to look slightly warm on a properly calibrated monitor?

290s and problems with 144Hz is a well known issue - you may find 90-100Hz is the most you'll get especially with a crossfire configuration.
I've run a 144Hz monitor from these cards before without problems, so I'm going to blame this on Asus rather than AMD without evidence to the contrary. :)

Although it may well be academic anyway. I seem to have grabbed completely the wrong end of the stick with regards to how to 35-90Hz limitation works on this monitor. I got the impression that FS worked while a game's framerate was in that region and disengaged outside of it. But what I'm getting is any attempt to set the refresh rate > 90Hz results in the OSD giving a 'Freesync Disabled' message. Given the number of games that clone their screen mode from the desktop and don't permit a separate refresh rate to be specified, that would require running the desktop at no more than 90Hz to get FS working.

(and to brighten my mood still further a bright red stuck pixel has now appeared. Super.)

Yeah I was really disappointed too. The BenQ 27" freesync monitor at 500 sheets ticks all the boxes and some boxes I didn't know I wanted ticking. Except it's not IPS :(
Yea...you would think a product with good review, tick the boxes on features, at a reasonable price cannot go wrong right?

Well, all the positives are pointless, if consumers are to scare to buy the product due to company not getting their act together ensuring the quality of the product they design and manufacture.

I currently have the XL2720z and whilst it's a really good monitor I want a 1440p ips monitor for gaming and thought the Asus would be perfect, maybe it still is but maybe I'll wait a couple and see what happens.

Just took delivery of one of these. Been using it for all of two hours, but some very quick thoughts. No photos yet.

Initial impression is that I may have got a lemon. Image quality out of the box is horrible compared to the BL3200PT I normally use. The screen has a noticeable green cast to it and whites are 'creamy' rather than pure white. I haven't been able to completely dial out either issue using the OSD so far. Contrast and black depth are good for an IPS, but again very inferior to what I'm used to. There's also a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen.

The monitor seems to be highly temperamental. I've been getting numerous 'Link Failure' messages when running at 144Hz, both with the included DP cable and two others I have to hand. I swapped round my pair of 290s to eliminate a card issue, but the problem persists. Oh, and I'm pretty sure this 'new' monitor is used. The box looked to have been opened and resealed with tape and the bag covering the monitor was crumpled and had obviously been handled :(

On the plus side Freesync, even limited to 90Hz, works wonderfully. The extra smoothness is really impressive.

But right now I don't think Freesync is enough to make up for the MG279Q's problems.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - really sorry to hear you have all these problems; definitely looks like you've got a returned / duff unit.

These negatives are really starting to give me cold feet - I'm seriously considering the BenQ XL2730Z though from past experience, I really don't want to because the colour quality on the BenQ XL2430Z I had before was so shocking I had to send it back.

Just took delivery of one of these. Been using it for all of two hours, but some very quick thoughts. No photos yet.

Initial impression is that I may have got a lemon. Image quality out of the box is horrible compared to the BL3200PT I normally use. The screen has a noticeable green cast to it and whites are 'creamy' rather than pure white. I haven't been able to completely dial out either issue using the OSD so far. Contrast and black depth are good for an IPS, but again very inferior to what I'm used to. There's also a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen.

The monitor seems to be highly temperamental. I've been getting numerous 'Link Failure' messages when running at 144Hz, both with the included DP cable and two others I have to hand. I swapped round my pair of 290s to eliminate a card issue, but the problem persists. Oh, and I'm pretty sure this 'new' monitor is used. The box looked to have been opened and resealed with tape and the bag covering the monitor was crumpled and had obviously been handled :(

On the plus side Freesync, even limited to 90Hz, works wonderfully. The extra smoothness is really impressive.

But right now I don't think Freesync is enough to make up for the MG279Q's problems.

I think you have got one of the first batch. The first release of these monitors had the exact problems you are describing. I would get back to the crowd that sold you the monitor and ask for a new model.

. But what I'm getting is any attempt to set the refresh rate > 90Hz results in the OSD giving a 'Freesync Disabled' message. Given the number of games that clone their screen mode from the desktop and don't permit a separate refresh rate to be specified, that would require running the desktop at no more than 90Hz to get FS working.

Yes that's right. But is that a problem?

290s and problems with 144Hz is a well known issue - you may find 90-100Hz is the most you'll get especially with a crossfire configuration.

It's not a card issue, He must have got one of the original Asus MG279G's that had problems with 144hz.

Will give a proper review at the weekend, but I'm impressed with mine so far. Dialled back the brightness and seems alright!

Good to hear! I would be grateful if you could you take a still frame from a video of the monitor recorded in a dark room at the brightness you use it at and post it here?

Is it a major technical hurdle for Freesync to overcome this 90Hz limitation operation limit? Or is it going to be a trend amongst any future IPS Freesync screens? It's really making me question getting this screen, as I don't know how big a deal it's going to be... and if the next IPS Freesync screen to market functions all the way up to 144Hz, I'd probably be quite annoyed.

Yes that's right. But is that a problem?
Umm, yes. It very much is. Having to change desktop refresh rate before playing a game is... stupid.

melmac said:
I think you have got one of the first batch. The first release of these monitors had the exact problems you are describing. I would get back to the crowd that sold you the monitor and ask for a new model.
Well, it was bought from OCUK yesterday and is part of their current stock. So that would mean not all of the new batch are fixed.

Edit: Pics taken in a dark room:
Asus, 28% brightness
mzty2E6.jpg
BenQ BL3200PT, 53% brightness
sn9NDrf.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a major technical hurdle for Freesync to overcome this 90Hz limitation operation limit? Or is it going to be a trend amongst any future IPS Freesync screens? It's really making me question getting this screen, as I don't know how big a deal it's going to be... and if the next IPS Freesync screen to market functions all the way up to 144Hz, I'd probably be quite annoyed.

The MG279Q could have gone up to 144Hz, but the minimum would have been higher than the 35 it has been set at.

I suspect that without changes to FreeSync, it may be difficult to get 35-144Hz on an IPS monitor.

Yes, that's what I understand also. I was perplexed as to the operating range of Freesync on this monitor though... 35-90Hz... why so low on the low end? If there's a choice, wouldn't you want that range to be higher rather than lower, or is this simply a limitation of the tech on IPS?

Well, it was bought from OCUK yesterday and is part of their current stock. So that would mean not all of the new batch are fixed.

Maybe it was one sent back for upgrade but got missed? Or maybe it is just a faulty monitor. Just the fault you are talking about is exactly why Asus issued a recall in the first place.

Can you tell me what happens when you are playing a game with Freesync on and it goes over 90fps? Does Freesync turn off and turn again when you go below 90fps? Is it very noticeable on the changeover?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - really sorry to hear you have all these problems; definitely looks like you've got a returned / duff unit.

These negatives are really starting to give me cold feet - I'm seriously considering the BenQ XL2730Z though from past experience, I really don't want to because the colour quality on the BenQ XL2430Z I had before was so shocking I had to send it back.

The 2730Z is much better.

All the high Hz BenQ monitors that pre-dated it have vary degrees of awful image quality, but very good response times and low input lag.

Back
Top Bottom