** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Use Radeonpro. http://www.radeonpro.info/

Lets you specify refresh rate for individual games. So can run your desktop at 144 and then when you launch a game, radeonpro will set it to 90Hz (or whatever refresh you have chosen for the game).
Thanks for that, haven't used Radeon Pro in a long time. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any effect; If I create a profile for a game that specifies the refresh rate at 90Hz then launch the game via Radeon Pro it just takes the desktop refresh rate as before.

My only complaints about this monitor so far are that the stand base is very substantial which means you need a large desk to put the screen a good distance away. The other thing is that sometimes it refuses to detect a signal on mini display port and you have to do random stuff like plugging in a hdmi cable to get the monitor to turn on

As I said before I had some trouble getting a decent image accuracy with the monitor but after following the recommendations on tftcentral review it seems to have improved and the text is more readable.

I have mine hooked up with the MiniDP input and have not so far had any problems with it detecting a signal.

After some tweaks I'm happier with the image quality. Checking the black level test here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

against my BL3200PT showed the all the squares far too bright, the first one was easily visible. Dropping gamma in the AMD control panel to 0.90 helped a lot.

Umm, yes. It very much is. Having to change desktop refresh rate before playing a game is... stupid.

what i mean though is, why not just leave desktop refresh rate set at 90Hz all the time? there's no benefit i can think of at running it at 144Hz anyway, so just leave it at 90HZ and leave FreeSync enabled in the OSD all the time. problem solved :)

Yes, that's what I understand also. I was perplexed as to the operating range of Freesync on this monitor though... 35-90Hz... why so low on the low end? If there's a choice, wouldn't you want that range to be higher rather than lower, or is this simply a limitation of the tech on IPS?

it's because the actual benefit of FreeSync is better experienced at the lower frame rate end, typically between 40 - 60 Hz is where there's the most benefit in experience. by providing a slightly lower bottom limit of 35Hz they are accomodating more graphics cards, given the high res of this panel, and the upper limit of 90Hz is still perfectly adequate for most users and for a decent freeSync control range anyway

it's because the actual benefit of FreeSync is better experienced at the lower frame rate end, typically between 40 - 60 Hz is where there's the most benefit in experience. by providing a slightly lower bottom limit of 35Hz they are accomodating more graphics cards, given the high res of this panel, and the upper limit of 90Hz is still perfectly adequate for most users and for a decent freeSync control range anyway

Agreed, it appears ASUS made a good call with the Hz range they had available for Freesync on this monitor. Ideally the range would be greater but IIRC it was mentioned by the ASUS rep on here that it would have driven up the cost? Given the quality issues users seem to be facing with the panel, it looks like the right balance has been struck.

Is this the best overall non-4K Freesync monitor available at the moment?

So if you are running a Fury X for example (when available of course), at 1440p and getting in excess of 90fps (as it will no doubt be capable of in many games) with Freesync enabled and your monitor locked at 90hz, will this cause tearing?

So if you are running a Fury X for example (when available of course), at 1440p and getting in excess of 90fps (as it will no doubt be capable of in many games) with Freesync enabled and your monitor locked at 90hz, will this cause tearing?

Yes, AFAIK. Of course you will be able to limit the Fury X to only render up to 90fps using AMD's FRTC so if this is smooth enough for you then that should solve that problem.

what i mean though is, why not just leave desktop refresh rate set at 90Hz all the time? there's no benefit i can think of at running it at 144Hz anyway, so just leave it at 90HZ and leave FreeSync enabled in the OSD all the time. problem solved :)
Its useful for video, 24p video (Blu-Ray basically) plays without stuttering at 144MHz.

Though that wouldn't be an issue if I could get Freesync working correctly with a video player. MPC with SVP almost works, but only with frame interpolation, I haven't yet discovered a way to force it to do straight frame rate doubling.

I've found myself actually more interested in using Freesync for video rather than gaming. Being able to do 24/25/30/60Hz video on one screen without pulldown tricks would be a big deal.

What are people's opinion on buying this monitor even though I own a Nvidia card? I may move to a AMD card in the future sometime. The way I see it is it's still a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor for £480 which is appealing as the gsync equivalent is £720. Any opinions are welcome.

What are people's opinion on buying this monitor even though I own a Nvidia card? I may move to a AMD card in the future sometime. The way I see it is it's still a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor for £480 which is appealing as the gsync equivalent is £720. Any opinions are welcome.

yep as long as you don't want to use G-sync and don't mind lack of a blur reduction strobed backlight, it's still a very good IPS 144HZ 2560 x 1440 with support for freeSync if you move to AMD in the future :)

I never used lightboost /ULMB on other monitors so I don't mind the lack of feature's like them. Although, what is motion blur/motion clarity like on this monitor i.e during gaming, especially fast paced FPS games like BF4 ect?

What's Asus recall about on this monitor ?

They originally had a fault where they skipped frames at 144hz. Reports are very few monitors reached vendors in this state and the rest were recalled for a firmware upgrade to apply a fix.

It is therefore unlikely at this stage that any of the broken models are still out in the wild

Back
Top Bottom