** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Ok, i think I'm going to keep mine. I do not want to be charded and extra 30£ if they tell me it was not defective

Hello guys,

I'm new around here. On Saturday i received my monitor ( did not buy it through OUK), it is working well and i like it quite a lot. However while surfing through this thread i noticed another guy had an issue with monitor bleeding.

I decided to do a similar test and this is what I have:
http://imgur.com/1dEtUnh,P23aren,HzEqx1e,Tp0vP7I#0
http://imgur.com/1dEtUnh,P23aren,HzEqx1e,Tp0vP7I#1
http://imgur.com/1dEtUnh,P23aren,HzEqx1e,Tp0vP7I#2
http://imgur.com/1dEtUnh,P23aren,HzEqx1e,Tp0vP7I#3

So far while I've been gaming, watching videos or regular use I have not come across any noticeable bleeding. It is only visible when doing the above test.

My question is; Do you think it is appropiate to ask for a replacement?

Thanks in advance

that doesn't look that bad at all, and personally i think you would be crazy to try and get a replacement if you never see it during normal uses at all! you could risk ending up with something far worse. just enjoy the screen :)

Very tempted to order one today. But anyone know what is OcUK's stance for return? If it has excessive IPS glow, backlight leak etc, would they arrange courier to pick it up and replace it, or do we have to deal with Asus?

Also am I right to assume that the current batch that OcUK is selling has the latest firmware?

Last edited:
Very tempted to order one today. But anyone know what is OcUK's stance for return? If it has excessive IPS glow, backlight leak etc, would they arrange courier to pick it up and replace it, or do we have to deal with Asus?

Also am I right to assume that the current batch that OcUK is selling has the latest firmware?

They can't force you to deal with ASUS as long as you notify them within the 14-day 'cooling off' period that you wish to return the product under CCR (Consumer Contract Regulations). I don't believe OcUK would arrange the courier, though. You would have to do that yourself if you aren't returning it because it is faulty. And be very careful - what you class as 'faulty' may not be what they or the manufacturers class as faulty.

They can't force you to deal with ASUS as long as you notify them within the 14-day 'cooling off' period that you wish to return the product under CCR (Consumer Contract Regulations). I don't believe OcUK would arrange the courier, though. You would have to do that yourself if you aren't returning it because it is faulty. And be very careful - what you class as 'faulty' may not be what they or the manufacturers class as faulty.
I wish OcUK provide service of testing the monitors before sending them out :(

Though I don't think OcUK should be doing Asus job's of QC...

It's difficult to trust Asus, as they are known for poor QC (if there's any). Have seen people having problem with the 290x from them with factory overclock on the memory by 100MHz, and the cards are unstable and would black screen...

So, given the excitement surrounding the Fury/Fury X, is this going to be the best monitor to pair it with, or are there any other models yet to be released worth waiting for?

So, given the excitement surrounding the Fury/Fury X, is this going to be the best monitor to pair it with, or are there any other models yet to be released worth waiting for?

It depends what you're after. There will be a number of 'FreeSync' models launched over the coming months, some of which are not currently in the public eye. There are several '4K' UHD models which could work nicely with such GPUs, but if you're after high refresh rates and FreeSync then the MG279Q is looking like a nice choice.

It depends what you're after. There will be a number of 'FreeSync' models launched over the coming months, some of which are not currently in the public eye. There are several '4K' UHD models which could work nicely with such GPUs, but if you're after high refresh rates and FreeSync then the MG279Q is looking like a nice choice.

I'm not overly fussed about 4K... I won't really look at that until they can crack the 60Hz barrier... but I would like high refresh, ideally IPS as I've always had IPS screens, and if I end up going with the Fury/Fury X (I'm just waiting on the benches), surely going for a monitor WITHOUT Freesync would be a bit of a waste? Is the Asus the only high refresh IPS Freesync monitor that's going to be available for the forseeable future?

Yeah after seeing AMD's new lineup I think I'll be sticking with them, I will know for 100% on Tuesday (BATMAN! :D)

Ideally I would want a 34" 1440 freesync IPS/VA 75/100HZ screen for <£800 but I refuse to buy acer products so I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a 27" 1440 144hz IPS freesync screen and make do with it? Although the reports of high IPS glow are putting me of this...

Last edited:
You can actually try running 2560x1440 on VSR with the 290, to give you an exact idea how your 290 will handle that res rather than guessing.

You'd be surprised how well would the 290 handle 2560 res, with the exception of may be Crysis 3, and some Nvidia titles.

The use of AA for 2560 res is NOT really an absolute necessity.

Excellent suggestion - thank you!

I didn't know this was possible - I'll try it out tonight!

This is so true it's not funny. We really do need a hall of shame thread sticky thread to give the "big time monitor" vendors a boot up the arse. I mean if the Korean builders can build, QC and indivdually ship guaranteed QC perfect screens at a 3rd of the price why can the big firms...

I asked that question a while back, was told that the main reason was volume. The Korean builders can ship a handful of monitors that are individually checked for pixels, light bleed etc, but turning that into a global mass-market product is nigh-on impossible.

Furthermore, I guess it creates some awkward problems for manufacturers. I mean, if you reject every panel that has a single dead pixel, or noticeable IPS glow, you could end up rejecting 80% of the stock, and that's heavily limited already given the popularity for 144 Hz 1440p panels right now. If you turn those into a B-grade item, then who's going to buy it, unless there's a healthy discount. So it kinda becomes impossible to roll out globally. Not to mention you've got to pay people to conduct this thorough testing, which will add to the price of the monitor.

RAM companies and the like have similar issues, so a small manufacturer can create a SKU for the world's fastest RAM and ship 10 top-end binned units. Could Corsair/Crucial/Kingston etc create a SKU with 10 units? Not really, it's not how they operate. So they have to find 1000 of them, and they won't go as high as the top 10 will, so they get a lower speed.

In other words, it's not that it's not possible, just that it's not possible on a massive scale.

Obviously you can make of that what you will, but since you asked the question I thought you might be interested to know what I'd been informed.

Mine also coming tomorrow, so I'm hoping you'll get one more experience how MG279Q is great :)

Great stuff - would you be kind enough to upload some photos and share your thoughts / observations etc...?

Many thanks in advance :)

I've used the VSR feature to test some stuff at 2560x1440 (looks bloody aweful visually).

Performance wasn't too bad - lost about 1/3rd of my framerate as expected by manageable.

Definitely a good excuse to upgrade to a R9 Fury X!

Just took delivery of one of these. Been using it for all of two hours, but some very quick thoughts. No photos yet.

Initial impression is that I may have got a lemon. Image quality out of the box is horrible compared to the BL3200PT I normally use. The screen has a noticeable green cast to it and whites are 'creamy' rather than pure white. I haven't been able to completely dial out either issue using the OSD so far. Contrast and black depth are good for an IPS, but again very inferior to what I'm used to. There's also a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen.

The monitor seems to be highly temperamental. I've been getting numerous 'Link Failure' messages when running at 144Hz, both with the included DP cable and two others I have to hand. I swapped round my pair of 290s to eliminate a card issue, but the problem persists. Oh, and I'm pretty sure this 'new' monitor is used. The box looked to have been opened and resealed with tape and the bag covering the monitor was crumpled and had obviously been handled :(

On the plus side Freesync, even limited to 90Hz, works wonderfully. The extra smoothness is really impressive.

But right now I don't think Freesync is enough to make up for the MG279Q's problems.

Seriously...I am losing my interest on this monitor by the minute (no thanks for Asus poor QC).

Now I just wish Samsung somehow could release something like a 2560 res 144Hz VA or PLS panel with better Freesync range (i.e. 30-144Hz) at under £500...

Just took delivery of one of these. Been using it for all of two hours, but some very quick thoughts. No photos yet.

Initial impression is that I may have got a lemon. Image quality out of the box is horrible compared to the BL3200PT I normally use. The screen has a noticeable green cast to it and whites are 'creamy' rather than pure white. I haven't been able to completely dial out either issue using the OSD so far. Contrast and black depth are good for an IPS, but again very inferior to what I'm used to. There's also a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen.

The monitor seems to be highly temperamental. I've been getting numerous 'Link Failure' messages when running at 144Hz, both with the included DP cable and two others I have to hand. I swapped round my pair of 290s to eliminate a card issue, but the problem persists. Oh, and I'm pretty sure this 'new' monitor is used. The box looked to have been opened and resealed with tape and the bag covering the monitor was crumpled and had obviously been handled :(

On the plus side Freesync, even limited to 90Hz, works wonderfully. The extra smoothness is really impressive.

But right now I don't think Freesync is enough to make up for the MG279Q's problems.

290s and problems with 144Hz is a well known issue - you may find 90-100Hz is the most you'll get especially with a crossfire configuration.

Back
Top Bottom