** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Well I've decided to pull the trigger against my better judgement (really sorry to hear of your issues passenger :() - monitor should hopefully be here this week and I'm hoping for a good panel!

Will post my results once I have the monitor!

I think this could be a good monitor and worth the price... if you get one that doesn't have issues. But that seems to be the trick these days, getting a monitor that was made when the QA department was actually awake.

I think this could be a good monitor and worth the price... if you get one that doesn't have issues. But that seems to be the trick these days, getting a monitor that was made when the QA department was actually awake.

Pretty much :( . We pay premiums on monitors for some reason, last time I checked you can buy newly released 40" 4k TVs for 400 quid now. They could atleast do good QA on monitors.

What frustrates me is when they preview the monitors at big shows and send samples for reviews to sites like tftcentral that work fine as intended, then why should anyone paying the same as everyone else accept anything less than the quality Asus or whatever brands show themselves?, they shouldn't.

I ordered one aswell, will post what its like for people on the fence, should be here today. Hopefully the lindy display port too, I hate DP-mini dp cables.

Last edited:
Oh I will give some pictures :rolleyes:

Asus_MG279.png

t8jbxbe0l

After only 30 minutes in to the test screen dies! And this was not the one from the "first batch", I did 144Hz test and it was fine! It has on a box "QC passed" :) :) :) omg...:mad:

When it worked (over DP 144Hz 1440p) colors were good except black which is dark grey. IPS glow it was present and if you have it, it is a bad news, 'cause all the colors change in affected area, from blue to green - green to yellowish and so on. So for photo editing(which is crucial for me) this is no go.

Gaming experience mediocre, when camera starts to panning at 80 freetrace(racing mode) it's very blurry. So not for FPS/racing games really! I thought that "4ms" would be fine. So careful guys, first test it then make your decision.

I will not take much time about ASUS and return policy, IT WAS HELL :mad:
that's why I didn't post right away...

For premium price faulty "QC PASSED" product, ASUS never again...

P.S.
the picture above was pictured when the monitor was only plugged with power cable so no video card connection or any other cable was plugged in.
I'm still on the fence whether to get one of these or not, when I see posts like this it puts me off, I'd be gutted but I suppose you hear about the bad ones more than good. You mention the motion blurring how bad is it exactly because that is one of my pet hates and why I would stick with tn panels

Tempting though this monitor is on many levels, I cannot help but feel the motion blur issue and max 90Hz range do let it down somewhat, not to mention some of the other issues people are having. Given my reason for purchasing one would be to pair with a Fury X, it's too much of a compromise in my mind. It's just very frustrating not knowing when another IPS Freesync screen that improves upon this will be available, but I'd settle for a hint of something on the horizon at the very least. :(

It is down to the scaler, Asus could have gone with 40-144hz fs range but according to their tests, 35-90 was the better range

I can't believe they would have traded 54hz on the high end for just 5hz on the lower end.

I know that makes sense with today's graphics cards and the lack of Freesync / crossfire support but with the Fury X and Crossfire Freesync drivers, this isn't future proofing the screen very much.

Personally, I'm using that as an 'excuse' not to rely on Freesync and be able to switch between GFX card vendors without feeling 'guilty' that I'm not utilising the freesync function.

+ the increased input lag that TFTCentral reported @ 90hz for the screen would be a big negative for me as I'm very sensitive to this.

I have decided to order this monitor despite the issues reported here and I am sorry for people that got dud monitors :(

The two things that are bothering me are the lag when under 90fps and the IPS glow/blb. I hope I don't get yellow corners!!

MY twitch days of gaming are over so I am hoping that I don't notice the lag too much.

I will be moving from a Samsung SA23700D to this.

I think this monitors scaler supports 35-90HZ Doogles, but FreeSync Technology supports much wider ranges.

This is a limitation of the scaler used, not of FreeSync. We've already seen two 40-144HZ FreeSync capable panels, with more to come as well.
only 90Hz ? No good for me :eek:
Which Freesync 1440p 144/120Hz monitor du u prefer/suggest ?

IIRC, the asus rep said that from their reports etc., the majority of people dropped to sub 40 a lot more than maintaining 90+ fps and as a result, going below 40 didn't provide as good of a gaming experience or something along those lines.

At first I thought great with them choosing the 35-90 range over 40-144 but now I'm not so sure, I am still in 2 minds about it but I would still probably edged towards the 35-90 range for these reasons

- in pretty much all the new games, I struggle to keep a constant 60 fps without dropping quite a few settings and even then, I still get FPS drops to sub 40 i.e. gta 5 in grass areas

- to achieve a constant 90+ fps in the newest and upcoming games with max settings (excluding aa), you will need a pretty beastly dual GPU setup, something that I never intend on doing

- people have mixed feelings on free/g sync 90 VS free/g sync 120+ but overall, it seems like the majority have a very hard time noticing the difference between 90 and 120/144 free/g sync

- easy enough to keep to <90 FPS, just dial up the AA/DSR/VSR or use a frame cap via afterburner/rivatuner

35-90 is a decent compromise and this monitor is a lot cheaper but 40-144hz would have been better. 144hz in games that can get that much FPS is just silky smooth, 90 is smooth but you can still see the frames. I guess you still have the option to Vsync at 120 or 144hz as well... So this monitor gives you a lot more options that most and can be tuned for each game... But still a range of 30-144hz with no lag would be amazing. But then that is going to cost you another £250-300 for the Gsync version of this monitor and Nvidia cards are more expensive... So this + an AMD card is a good "bang for buck" option, Gsync + Nvidia is better but a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
I've ended up returning mine as it died but even if it hadn't I probably still would have anyway.

The IPS glow in the bottom right corner was pretty bad when I checked it properly which I could also see during normal use, it was similar to what @passenger pointed out in his post.

The colours weren't quite as good a I thought they would be and they seemed a little washed out but I never got a chance to play with them properly as the monitor went before I could.

Also everything seemed a little blurry which I tried to compensate for by using varying degrees of sharpness and vivid pixel by to no avail.

For £500 I am a little disappointed in this monitor but maybe if I had more time then maybe I could have found a right balance for me by playing with the settings more.

I decided not to have it replaced and will wait to see what comes out over the next year.

On a side note this monitor did have QC PASSED on the seal, what it is exactly that they have checked I am unsure but I'm guessing it's dead pixels and that it turns on??

I think the QC label just means they hooked it up, got a picture of some kind, then put it back in the box and slapped the sticker on it.

The problem with blurryness is something I noticed as well. On most monitors there's a sharpness setting that basically does nothing, just shows the image without any processing applied. But the Asus always seemed to be either blurring the image a little or over-sharpening it, depending on what the OSD settings were.

tbh, I feel rather sorry for retailers like OCUK having to take back all these screens. But several manufacturers who really should know better seem to have jumped on the bandwagon of putting out supposedly high-end screens with levels of quality and consistency that wouldn't be acceptable even at the budget end of the market.

The problem with blurryness is something I noticed as well. On most monitors there's a sharpness setting that basically does nothing, just shows the image without any processing applied. But the Asus always seemed to be either blurring the image a little or over-sharpening it, depending on what the OSD settings were.

I was finding the same with either the image being blurry or too sharp and there was nothing in the middle.

Just got mine this evening, finished setting it up and I have to say I'm pleased. No obvious faults so far and it's a real pleasure to play The Witcher 3 with FreeSync on! :)

Also everything seemed a little blurry which I tried to compensate for by using varying degrees of sharpness and vivid pixel by to no avail.

I also see this on mine but only notice it on text. It's not a deal breaker for me as it's really not that bad. Just wondering if this is a "panel thing" or whether anyone has rectified it with either using a better quality display port cable or tweaking settings/different modes ect?

So everyone of these monitors is a little blurry? I will be using this for work as well so blurry text will drive me nuts :( Looks like I will be sending this back without even opening it.

So everyone of these monitors is a little blurry? I will be using this for work as well so blurry text will drive me nuts :( Looks like I will be sending this back without even opening it.

I've had mine a couple days now and I must admit I'm noticing it less and less. It is really minor on mine but it is their. It's like a little part of the odd letter here and there has a very very slightly "fluffy" edge. I notice it mainly on this forum when staring at words.

In the word "everyone" see the slight fuzz on the top of the letters "v" and "y". Also on the bottom of the "S" in "So". It doesn't show that well but it's the best I could do. Like I said it is very minor on mine.

Thanks for the pictures Andy. It looks like the monitor is not in native resolution, even though it is. I am not sure what to do. like you say, over time I will get used to it, but, do I really want that after paying £500.

I guess I will open it and see what it looks like. It's surprising that none of the reviews mentioned it. Baddass is pretty thorough, it's not something he would miss.

Thanks for the pictures Andy. It looks like the monitor is not in native resolution, even though it is. I am not sure what to do. like you say, over time I will get used to it, but, do I really want that after paying £500.

I guess I will open it and see what it looks like. It's surprising that none of the reviews mentioned it. Baddass is pretty thorough, it's not something he would miss.

I would definitely at least give the monitor a try as you have the right to return it if your not happy or it's faulty. My camera phone does over exaggerate and make it look worse, plus the phone was about 3 or 4 inches away from the screen :)

Back
Top Bottom