** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
In the dark, with the brightness up, and on a camera, a black IPS screen isn't going to look great. Does it bother you in normal, lit conditions? What brightness level is it set to?

Associate
Thing is that it doesnt bother me much, maybe sometimes when i watch movies in exrreme dark scenes. Especially i dont want to go through RMA hassle when i didnt find any dead pixels or other deformations. I am using Tft centreal profile with 31 brightness. Image i took is worse than in rl, but not much. In normal lit conditions, monitor is just simply great.

Associate
In that case, you have to ask yourself if another model is going to be any different, given it's an IPS panel and will have the same basic limitations (albeit you may get lucky and get one with less glow). To quote the TFT central review on the X34:

This glow in the corners is caused by your angle of vision when viewing the screen and is because of the pixel structure on the IPS panel. If you view the screen from even wider angles... the glow becomes more white and pale. This IPS glow is a "feature" of nearly every IPS-type panel on the market, so as a buyer you should be expecting it. It's not grounds for a return of the screen as a fault when it is just a feature of the panel technology.

It's totally your call though, just want to make you aware before you RMA and find the same issue on the next monitor. If you're going to view a lot of dark content and you don't mind the difference in viewing angles and colour accuracy, you might want to consider the equivalent Asus and BenQ TN panel monitors.

Associate
I think Ill keep this monitor. I mean when i watch movies i dont notice glow that much, and gaming is just fine. I dont want to gamble for 3 months to get worse sample. Thanks for reply.

Soldato
Damn. I was on the verge of ordering this monitor but the 90hz thing put me off. In the end I went for the Acer Predator XF270HU which has a range of 40-144hz. But it's Acer so the quality is a crap shoot and it's about £60 more. How reliable do you think this is, ViRuS2k? What would you do in my place?!

Soldato
Damn. I was on the verge of ordering this monitor but the 90hz thing put me off. In the end I went for the Acer Predator XF270HU which has a range of 40-144hz. But it's Acer so the quality is a crap shoot and it's about £60 more. How reliable do you think this is, ViRuS2k? What would you do in my place?!

I would take Asus QC over Acer QC any day of the week.
there both just as bad as each other though, personally i have had more bad acer monitors than asus monitors.

Just hope and prey you get a good one, its luck of the draw imho.

----

My asus is getting dispatched today or tommorow so we shall see what its like QC wise when i get it.

factors i took into consideration when purchasing the asus

freesync
good resolution not to demanding and not 1080p 144hz vs 60hz
i know there is 31-90 limit but that can be changed and why would anyone change it anyway as most high demanding games fall within that range easy anyway.
IPS panel vs TN panel = no brainer if your after quality and depth ...

the only thing im hoping does not happen is dead pixels or back light bleed or high ips glow.
i know i will get one or the other but im hopeing glow only over the other 2.

as for acer though i would stay away from them...
Also you get 3 Years warranty with Asus vs 2 Years Warranty with Acer..

Last edited:
Soldato
hmm food for thought. On paper they're very similar, with the Acer just edging it on freesync range. I think i'll stick with things for now and play the monitor lottery and return is required. It's a pretty damning sign of things when we expect monitors to turn up with defaults! Hope you get a good one.

To throw a spanner in the works i'm considering going for the Dell TN gsync and a GTX 980 rather than the 390x and Acer IPS I have on order - but that's another thread!

Associate
the only thing im hoping does not happen is dead pixels or back light bleed or high ips glow.

Wow mate,you're expecting way to much from asus(and current ips monitors)
you should expect some ips glow or bld is some extend.
I hope you will get lucky with one one of them...;)

Soldato

Well i know one things for sure if its something i cant put up with it will be getting sent back for a refund....

Im not paying £500 for something that is beyond par in the image department.

Soldato

I had two of these for a couple of days before changing for 2 PG279q's for surround with my other one.

Both the MG279Q's were literally perfect. 0 BLB, they looked like black boards, perfectly even on all edges.
Obviously have some IPS glow, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Two of my PG279q's are near enough perfect, but if you look really really hard you can spot tiny amounts of light leakage in areas, but with anything other than pitch black, and a few minutes of staring, you can't see it.
One of them has minor blb.

So out of 5 asus monitors I have had, all being IPS high hz etc. One has minor issues, which are not enough to send it back.

Associate
I had two of these for a couple of days before changing for 2 PG279q's for surround with my other one.

Both the MG279Q's were literally perfect. 0 BLB, they looked like black boards, perfectly even on all edges.
Obviously have some IPS glow, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Two of my PG279q's are near enough perfect, but if you look really really hard you can spot tiny amounts of light leakage in areas, but with anything other than pitch black, and a few minutes of staring, you can't see it.
One of them has minor blb.

So out of 5 asus monitors I have had, all being IPS high hz etc. One has minor issues, which are not enough to send it back.
Good to hear that:)
I'm waiting for Ezio 144hz ips monitor before I make up my mind which monitor I'll go for.

Associate
I would take Asus QC over Acer QC any day of the week.
there both just as bad as each other though, personally i have had more bad acer monitors than asus monitors.

Just hope and prey you get a good one, its luck of the draw imho.

----

My asus is getting dispatched today or tommorow so we shall see what its like QC wise when i get it.

factors i took into consideration when purchasing the asus

freesync
good resolution not to demanding and not 1080p 144hz vs 60hz
i know there is 31-90 limit but that can be changed and why would anyone change it anyway as most high demanding games fall within that range easy anyway.
IPS panel vs TN panel = no brainer if your after quality and depth ...

as for acer though i would stay away from them...
Also you get 3 Years warranty with Asus vs 2 Years Warranty with Acer..
Have you got this monitor yet?

Soldato
Have you got this monitor yet?

Yeah, outstanding HOLY HELL....

Out of box : no dead pixels
No BLB
Minute IPS Glow
No Coil Wine
No input lag, or none that i could notice or tell
No Ghosting that i could tell or see using setting 80 as per tft central settings

I will get a picture uploaded soon showing BLB though all i can notice is slight IPS glow. from right top and right bottom corners.

-----------------------------------------------

I think i have gotten lucky lol

freesync is OMG i dont know why i went without it for so long, NO MORE STUTTERING ....

i have found that the default freesync range is 35-90
that is pretty good imho as most demanding games wont let you get there anyway

but i tested out 57-144 range and its also good if you dont drop under 60fps that is but that could be used for games that you know you wont drop that far to.

im testing out other ranges as im trying to get a better lowerbound ....

though so far using TFT` centrals settings the monitor is fantastic.

Last edited:
Associate
Good news ViRuS2k,I'm waiting for photos.

"57-144 is even better range @its native" Can you explain me how this range is native on this monitor?

Aa83
Yeah fingers crossed mate it should be good.

Associate
I can confirm it is a VERY nice upgrade from my old 22" Samsung 1680*1050 TN panel. The screen looks perfect to my eyes, no dead pixels (although the box got bashed at some point) and I can't see any noticeable IPS glow.

Back
Top Bottom