** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
Everyone I read on the forums goes around this the wrong way.

At some point in the future, every NON GSync specific monitor will be freesync compatible. Just because the scalers all will have the VRR capability and there won't be ones without it.

This will create incentive for consumers to buy the appropriate graphics cards.

Don't look at the picture now, look at it once the VRR ecosystem is established.

Even if all scalers have it by default, setting up and certifying it is still additional work, so there is a cost involved, so no, not "all" monitors will come with it by default, not unless people are actually buying them in enough volume to justify the extra cost.

Even AMD's own FAQ says it is extremely unlikely that all monitors will end up with it so I really struggle with how people are still jumping to that conclusion.

AMD GPU's are the bedrock of the ecosystem, without GPU sales driving monitor sales there is no ecosystem.

Last edited:
Associate
Heh, I was one of the early adopters of these (I live in Finland and bought it from local shop). I informed them and another shop about the issue(s) and recall of the screens and neither of them have pulled it from their stock. So it's the usual way: the customer will take care of their job. Lazy. :(

Soldato
From personal use and testing (Rog Swift) I find the biggest difference is felt between 60 and about 90. Quite a big lovely difference.

I then feel it tails off, sort of exponentially, with the difference between 90 and 120 being good, but not as noticeable, and between 120-144, I basically cannot tell the difference.

If, I'm understanding it right, the problem with these freesync screens is that above 90 then freesync will just 'turn off'? I can see that causing huge issues in gaming if you're going above 90fps, as tearing will start and loss of freesync would be noticeably jarring.

To mitigate the problem, you would either have to:

1. run with a framerate limiter on. This can sometimes be good for some games anyway and beneficial for Gsync smoothness (I do it for some, including GTA5), BUT for some games it's actually detrimental to use a frame rate limiter and it causes stutter.

2. Set your monitors refresh rate to 90Hz. However, the Swift only does 85hz, so I don't know if this will be the same. But if so, that's another 5fps lost. And a long way off 120Hz!

So in summary, not good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I have noticed that with the fps limiter, works amazing in some games and in others not so good, it works very well when you enable vsync too as the input lag is cut down massively. Tried it with gta 5, but it doesn't work so well for me.

Certainly would be nice if we could just set/lock it to 90HZ via windows/monitor OSD though.

edit:

another option you could do is just enable DSR/VSR to play at the likes of 4k, that will keep the fps down without needing to limit etc. and as a result you get even better image quality :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If they had done the range from 35 to 120 I would have purchased the monitor and I am sure others would have no problem with that range.

I just don't understand why they picked 90. It's right in the middle of the frame rate for most games. The excuses Jim gave are a load of rubbish. Not blaming Jim, he is just the messenger, but, maybe he could go back to the engineers and tell them to stop talking FUD. Is there not one gamer among them? Any gamer would have told them in 5 seconds that 35-90 was a crap range. It will be very jarring to keep jumping in and out of freesync as you go over and under the 90fps upper limit.

Actually I don't blame the technicians either. This smells to me like an upper management/marketing decision, probably by people who have never played a game in their life. My guess is that they have a full range freesync IPS coming out later in the year and that's going to be released under their premium branding so they couldn't make the MG279Q too good or it would impact sales of that monitor.

ASUSJim, the monitors that you recalled, keep them until you get a proper scaler in.

Associate
Heh, I was one of the early adopters of these (I live in Finland and bought it from local shop). I informed them and another shop about the issue(s) and recall of the screens and neither of them have pulled it from their stock. So it's the usual way: the customer will take care of their job. Lazy. :(

Can you tell us please something about panel quality?! Is it really dark, like some user mention, or is it bright? Is the picture sharp, good uniformity?

FreeSync and 144Hz is something on what they are doing now. Let's talk about picture quality.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Just checked with OCUK support and still no update on a new street date, starting to get tempted to transfer the order to a new monitor.

Associate
Things are very simple if Asus deliver (great quality) MG279Q before Computex they will earn a bunch. And if after Computex someone like Samsung/BenQ/Dell announces something better...I have no problem waiting some 5 months for great monitor really.

Soldato
Things are very simple if Asus deliver (great quality) MG279Q before Computex they will earn a bunch. And if after Computex someone like Samsung/BenQ/Dell announces something better...I have no problem waiting some 5 months for great monitor really.

I agree had this monitor for over 2 years can wait another year easily, might be the right thing to do and wait for new graphics cards to power them.

Soldato
Assuming what people say about g/free sync being true... I honestly think people will have a very hard time noticing much difference between a constant 90fps and 144fps when freesync is active.

I would agree. At around 100Hz/FPS the need for a faster refresh rate is non existent. Give me more eye candy from that point on please:)

Associate
All this talk of the potential framerates and refresh rates are great but an update on when we can expect to actually get our monitors would be even better.

They were due on the 4th, then the 8th, it's now the 19th and we're still in the dark regarding what is happening.

Can Asus or OCUK please update us.

Associate
Associate
What about something between the two like the rest of us?

"The rest of us"
Seems graphics quality enthusiasts are the majority in this forum.
But what about competitive players who always would play at 144Hz and reduce quality settings till they reach the 144 frame goal?

If I pay for 144Hz I want to utilise it and not let me tell by other users who might play single player games or just casual that 35, 60 or 90 frames are enough.

By the way, there are also 75Hz freesync screens from competitors, if you prefer low framerate and max quality.

I am disappointed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom