ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have 5GHz WiFi. My home network is 802.11g on 2.4GHz and 802.11n on 5GHz due to the limitations of my router, I'm now wondering if I'm going to find that watching HD video stored on my server is going to stutter, I guess my PS3 seems to be able to play HD content OK...

Also annoyed that I can't buy it without the keyboard, I'm not sure I will use it, and I'd like to save the £100 or so it adds to the bundle.

I was going to pre-order, I think I'll wait till January so I can actually see one before I buy.

Edit: Although I did read that it uses a WiFi chip that does have 5GHz but it has been disabled, so I wonder if this is an option that might be enabled in the future...

Found where it mentions the WiFi, bottom of the page: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review

If you watch the follow up on Anandtech, it shows that the TFP they reviewed was faulty and a production model worked okay on full WiFi.

If you watch the follow up on Anandtech, it shows that the TFP they reviewed was faulty and a production model worked okay on full WiFi.

Which still didn't include 5GHz support. The problem I have is my router provides 802.11g at 2.4GHz and 802.11n at 5GHz. Ideally all my 802.11n devices would be connecting on the 5GHz network.

Just taken the plunge and pre-ordered from the rainforest place (accepting pre-orders from today!). I do have £100 of vouchers from work so its taking the sting off the price :)

Bring on Jan 12th

Do you think there will be a delay as they are currently being sued about the name?

I am hoping it will just get thrown out of court!!

Probably not, I'd imagine that until there's actually anything an injunction granted (if it is) that sales should continue, a bit like the Samsung Galaxy Tab before Apple sued them, it went on sale to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom