ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

Out of interest; what are other WiFi only tablets like with GPS?

Reason I ask is phones have the luxury of using the phone masts for aGPS like assistant, allowing the GPS to get a quicker fix.

I'm assuming other WiFi only tablets get a quick GPS fix for there to be as much noise about the Transformer's poor GPS performance?

Reason I ask is phones have the luxury of using the phone masts for aGPS like assistant, allowing the GPS to get a quicker fix.

I'm assuming other WiFi only tablets get a quick GPS fix for there to be as much noise about the Transformer's poor GPS performance?

WiFi would need to be connected to the internet for aGPS to work properly and then it should pick up a signal.

WiFi would need to be connected to the internet for aGPS to work properly and then it should pick up a signal.

So do other WiFi only tablets suffer from equally poor performance? I wouldn't know as I currently don't own a tablet and never have. I'm trying to comprehend if this is a issue that's confined to the Transformer Prime as interested in buying.

I'm guessing it is due to the uproar about it.

And again out of interest, can someone explain why I might need GPS on a tablet? And for that matter an 8Mp camera when I already have two decent cameras and a camera in my phone?

Not trying to be difficult - email, surfing, movies, viewing docs etc. I understand - but I just can't work out the the benefit in some of these features.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

So do other WiFi only tablets suffer from equally poor performance? I wouldn't know as I currently don't own a tablet and never have. I'm trying to comprehend if this is a issue that's confined to the Transformer Prime as interested in buying.

I'm guessing it is due to the uproar about it.

The GPS issue is down to the metal casing on the Prime so I doubt other tablets have that issue.

And again out of interest, can someone explain why I might need GPS on a tablet? And for that matter an 8Mp camera when I already have two decent cameras and a camera in my phone?

Not trying to be difficult - email, surfing, movies, viewing docs etc. I understand - but I just can't work out the the benefit in some of these features.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

For me, it will depend on how street level detection works when connected to a WiFi hotspot provided by an Android handset. I.e. not actually having 5m accurate detection, but to actually know which part of town I'm in so that searches are tailored to my location.

I wouldn't need the GPS if that solution would work. I'm guessing it should work though.

The GPS issue is down to the metal casing on the Prime so I doubt other tablets have that issue.

I've just read that just now and have to admit the ASUS announcement is very strange and similar to the iPhone 4 "you're holding it wrong" comment.

Asus said that, “the metallic unibody design,…, may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites…Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device and to avoid inconveniencing users who demand a powerful GPS device, we made the decision to remove it from our specification sheet and marketing communications. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”

I.e. there's a GPS chip in there, we advertised it as so but the metallic casing we used doesn't work too well in conjunction with GPS but this isn't a professional GPS device, although other tablets manage fine.

The Bluetooth is far more serious. Try using a Bluetooth device like a wireless headset or mouse when streaming via wifi... Asus have really dropped a bollock here, and it's such a shame as a plastic back would have fixed everything.

Can anyone who already has a Prime download Touch test and see if the touch registers slightly below where you touch when you touch the bottom of the screen and slightly above when you touch the top of the screen?

I've had a few issues since I gave my first impressions; the GPS issue mentioned, 2 or 3 random reboots and the fact that the top layer of the screen seems to be lifting by about 1mm I.e when I press down on the screen just to the right of the charger slot I can feel the screen go down slightly which is concerning me. These are really concerning me as I really like the tablet but when I go home on Friday I can hardly easily return it to Gamestop, can I :(? Here's hoping they'll replace those with the dodgy GPS for free :p.

Last edited:
I have been tracking this for its release for a while now, and am a little concerned with some of the issues, but the botloader and GPS issues do not concern me. I just want it to work ok!

Of other interest is the rumours of a 7" version with keyboard due to be announced soon.

I have been tracking this for its release for a while now, and am a little concerned with some of the issues, but the botloader and GPS issues do not concern me. I just want it to work ok!

Of other interest is the rumours of a 7" version with keyboard due to be announced soon.

7" version sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to CES should be plenty of new tablets announced there!

Can anyone who already has a Prime download Touch test and see if the touch registers slightly below where you touch when you touch the bottom of the screen and slightly above when you touch the top of the screen?

I've had a few issues since I gave my first impressions; the GPS issue mentioned, 2 or 3 random reboots and the fact that the top layer of the screen seems to be lifting by about 1mm I.e when I press down on the screen just to the right of the charger slot I can feel the screen go down slightly which is concerning me. These are really concerning me as I really like the tablet but when I go home on Friday I can hardly easily return it to Gamestop, can I :(? Here's hoping they'll replace those with the dodgy GPS for free :p.
Ah the all too familiar Asus quality.

I have been in touch with ASUS regarding my GPS not working and they have advised I seek a replacement from were I purchased as they would only service it.

No mention to me of the fact that there are major GPS issues.

7" won't have a keyboard.

The touch screen issue while charging is well documented on XDA.

the bootloader is also unlocked/being unlocked officially soon.

Thinking of cancelling my Dixons order for a gold one - seems like a lot of money for a half finished product.

Edit: Have now cancelled. Sorry Asus but I'll wait now.

Last edited:
So many issues...

I've given up on this until the 3G version and I've got a touchpad for £150 to tide me over for now. Going to stick CM9 ICS on it.

Back
Top Bottom