ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

That tegra 3 video is cool - will the companion core itself be enough to play HP MKV's?

Possibly. The cpu only needs to feed data to the decoder, it shouldn't be doing anything else.

This '61% power saving' over Tegra 2 is just nVidia correcting the decoder balls up, they should be competitive with everyone else now.

tegra-3-battery-slide.jpg

The Transformer Prime should now match the iPads ~13 hours playback. (minus dock)
36777.png

I cant decide on this transformer 2 or a galaxy note to replace my dell streak.

Sort of been holding off a laptop or pad as the dell streak has been doing fine as a net browser and document viewer/editer.

There its currently too much tech coming out at the moment..... Transformer 2, galaxy note, htc edge or I think the padfone could win overall If you could use it with the transformer keyboard? But how long would I have to wait for the padfone release.

Oh I really can't decide on tech at the moment

I cant decide on this transformer 2 or a galaxy note to replace my dell streak.

Sort of been holding off a laptop or pad as the dell streak has been doing fine as a net browser and document viewer/editer.

There its currently too much tech coming out at the moment..... Transformer 2, galaxy note, htc edge or I think the padfone could win overall If you could use it with the transformer keyboard? But how long would I have to wait for the padfone release.

Oh I really can't decide on tech at the moment

And I can't decide what to put on my Xmas list :eek::(

This is Asus here - not gimped fruity products :D. Best bang for buck - a good camera will always come in handy.

That tegra 3 video is cool - will the companion core itself be enough to play HP MKV's?

For pottsey - this should get you out of depressed mode:

I would have liked those videos but got really irritated at the lies and marketing BS which was completely over the top. Did you see the glowball video on how they tried to make none Tegra chips look bad by showing 8+ year old graphics! Also I did not see anything special in the video only graphics that should run fine on year old chips, hardly next gen. Tegra is still playing catchup in the graphics department based on that video. You can get better graphics out a phone and as far as I am concerned tablets should be far more powerful then phones.

You can get better graphics out a phone and as far as I am concerned tablets should be far more powerful then phones.

You aren't looking at the complete picture. Sure NV could put in a better GPU but who wants/needs it?(I am talking about tablet makers here). ARM SoC don't sell for a lot so Nvidia would probably need to sell tens of millions of chips to break even but even if we combine all the Android tablets sold over the last year it doesn't even make 10m and Nvidia will only have a certain % of that(probably less next year as they aren't the reference platform or ICS).

Apple have a very different strategy. They aren't designing SoC to make money they are designing SoC to suit their long term goals- one of which is to be a big player in the game market.

It's not like these companies cannot make faster SoC(Sony PSP2) it's just that that there is no market for them.

That Tegra 3 video looks good, I'm totally putting the Transformer 2 on my xmas list, it's thinner than my new tab 10.1 and more powerful.

I'M LIVING THE HYPE!

Also with regards to the above comment about a tablet being more powerful than a phone, again see my previous post about the Android ecosystem and the post from Owen. Further to that I would prefer the battery benefits it brings having a phone chipset and a tablet battery.

Last edited:
There is no phone that is more powerfull than a tegra 3 tablet.

Those tegra 3 games are looking pretty close to early 7th console generation games.

No game on the SGSII or Iphone 4S can match it.

Once the quad core phones come out in 2012 that will change but for now tegra 3 will be the most powerful mobile platform.

There is no phone that is more powerfull than a tegra 3 tablet.

Those tegra 3 games are looking pretty close to early 7th console generation games.

No game on the SGSII or Iphone 4S can match it.

Once the quad core phones come out in 2012 that will change but for now tegra 3 will be the most powerful mobile platform.
According to the first benchmarks the Iphone 4s is more powerful then the Transformer 2 in many areas. The phone gets around double the FPS score in the benchmarks that use the graphic card. The Transformer 2 is worse than half the speed of the now ageing Ipad2 in graphic benchmarks.

Infinity Blade 2 looks to me to be well beyond Tegra 3 games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7p2P6Ft3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHE6IYKhIUE

The situation will only get worse with the Ipad 3 and OMAP 5 next year.

Last edited:
As said earlier, the ipad iphone is irrelevant to the Transformer 2, as is Infinity blade which stands alone as the best graphics on iphone/ipad atm not exactly the standard or widespread.

As said earlier, the ipad iphone is irrelevant to the Transformer 2, as is Infinity blade which stands alone as the best graphics on iphone/ipad atm not exactly the standard or widespread.
It's not irrelevant as the new Android reference platform has swapped over to the same graphics platform as Apple. I am hopeing to see more ports across the platforms now both are based around the same graphics chips.

The reason we don't get games that nice on Tegra is because Tegra is too weak to run games like that. The so called next gen games we have seen for Tegra 3 look no better than year old games on ipad or Iphone. The standard is pretty widespread as there are plenty of last gen none Tegra games that look as good as the so called next gen Tegra games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIE7tE_JYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwIpIeWE0Q&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBI5ezCE1as&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6DXI9NZmI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAUseUg7qd4&feature=related

It will be interesting when we get GTA on both Tegra and none Tegra chips. I would also like to see a comparison of Shadowgun on Tegra and none Tegra chips.

I don't want to turn this into an Ipad v Android argument. I just think if Tegra 2 had a decent amount of graphics power we could play games like above last year. Not wait for Tegra 3 just to catch up to last year's games.

I don't want to turn this into an Ipad v Android argument. I just think if Tegra 2 had a decent amount of graphics power we could play games like above last year. Not wait for Tegra 3 just to catch up to last year's games.
But this is the problem, you're saying the reason we don't have games with better graphics is because Tegra 2 was weak but all other phones were more powerful. Why don't we have better graphics on the more powerful Android devices.

The point is that as it stands at the moment the Transformer 2 will be the most powerful android device on the market and will be able to run the top games. We are talking 6 months at least down the line before any of these 'reference platform' issues and more powerful hardware and games cause a dent.

I can say with almost complete certainty that within 6 months of the Transformer 2's launch there will not be a game that it cannot play well (not taking into account Tegrazone style exclusivity). I would also be quite confident that a year down the line this would not be a problem either and if so a minor 1 or 2 games that may suffer... Just may.

I am not going to be buying a Transformer 2 in a 6 months to a year after launch time and at that point I would not expect that given the rate of progression in mobile device power that it would be the most powerful then. I would also expect Asus will release a new tablet somewhere around a year with even higher specs.

Also given the new info on the transformer, power alone is not the only draw... The tablet has many features and excellent design, which even if these motorola tablets or any of the probably 20+ tablets coming out in the coming year are 50% more poweful I would still go with the sleek design of the new Transformer, the keyboard option and Asus' excellent update history.

It will be interesting when we get GTA on both Tegra and none Tegra chips. I would also like to see a comparison of Shadowgun on Tegra and none Tegra chips
You can do this already, look up chainfire 3D, most of the Tegra exclusives run fine on devices like the SGS2 etc, some like samurai 2 run well on the SGS.

Last edited:
kona786 yes games and I like to mess around with graphic apps. My dream would be to get real time ray tracing and playing around with my own renders but that's a few years away at least.

Secondary function is a media centre but I have no more complaints in that area as Tegra 3 fixes the problems I had with Tegra 2 for media. ebooks and websites as well but pretty much every tablet and phone has been able to do that for years. Games and graphics are the only reason I have to get a new tablet over an old one.

As I said before I fully admit those that don't use the GPU will be perfectly happy with the Tegra 3 chip. But I am very underwhelmed with the GPU.

" The point is that as it stands at the moment the Transformer 2 will be the most powerful android device on the market and will be able to run the top games."
That's debatable; we will have to see how the other tablets do in benchmarks. But its not looking the most powerfull to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom