ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

Tegra 3 doesn't have the fastest GPU on the block but it'll run every game released on Android over the next year.

/GPU debate.

Oh, here's some geeky info for y'all.

SoC die sizes.

Qualcomm Snapdragon S3: 120-150 mm^2 (40nm?)
Apple A5: 120 mm^2 (45nm)
Samsung Exynos 4210: 118 mm^2 (45nm)
nVidia Tegra 3: 85 mm^2 (40nm)
TI OMAP4430: 85 mm^2 (45nm)
nVidia Tegra 2: 50 mm^2 (40nm)

Back to the lush Transformer Prime, what's the best colour?

Pottsey - To me you sounded way to troll-ish about Tegra 3. I agree it doesn't have the most powerful GPU - but at the end of the day it will do the the job for most people, even the gaming enthusiast. But I see your point about Tegra 3 not have the GPU to match the wow factor of quad cores.

These mobile chips are moving soo fast that its not even worth trying to future proof.

" The point is that as it stands at the moment the Transformer 2 will be the most powerful android device on the market and will be able to run the top games."
That's debatable; we will have to see how the other tablets do in benchmarks. But its not looking the most powerfull to me.
I don't know if you're deliberately missing my points... But at the moment it is more powerful than anything that is out in the Android ecosystem.

Can't decide on colour: need to see them in the flesh. I'm leaning toward the Amethyst Grey at the moment.

asus-transformer-prime-728-75.jpg

colors.png

I don't know if you're deliberately missing my points... But at the moment it is more powerful than anything that is out in the Android ecosystem.
Not according to the early benchmarks which make it look slower than the other Android tablet's and even slower than the Android phones when it comes to 2D and 3D. Even the Galaxy Nexus and LG Optimus 2x phones beat it. Yes the CPU score it great but what do we need more CPU power for? I bealive 2D and 3D are the areas that matter.

Last edited:
Not according to the early benchmarks which make it look slower than the other Android tablet's and even slower than the Android phones when it comes to 2D and 3D. Even the Galaxy Nexus and LG Optimus 2x phones beat it. Yes the CPU score it great but what do we need more CPU power for? I bealive 2D and 3D are the areas that matter.

Pottsey are you braind-dead - are you saying Tegra 2's GPU is faster than T3's?

I would like to see these benchmarks as that would be epic fail if the Optimus (Tegra 2) beat Tegra 3...
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6838/transformerprimeantutu0.jpg
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/9583/antooooto300x500.png
The 2D green box for the Transformer Tegra 3 is clearly a lot smaller then the LG Optimus x2 in both benchmarks. The 3D box is also smaller but not by as noticeable amount as 2D. If those early benchmarks are correct I find those 2D performance number very worrying.

Pottsey are you braind-dead - are you saying Tegra 2's GPU is faster than T3's?
Why do you have to be so so rude all the time. That's what the benchmarks show. Now do you see why I am concerned? The CPU score is great but did you stop to look at the rest of the benchmarks?

Last edited:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6838/transformerprimeantutu0.jpg
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/9583/antooooto300x500.png
The 2D green box for the Transformer Tegra 3 is clearly a lot smaller then the LG Optimus x2 in both benchmarks. The 3D box is also smaller but not by as noticeable amount as 2D. If those early benchmarks are correct I find those 2D performance number very worrying.
One image... And who ran that benchmark? Nobody knows... It just appeared on a lesser known benchmark app which strangely surged in popularity after the emergence of that score.

Conspiracy? Maybe... 'Benchmarks' no... I want some real benchmarks by some real people with a Transformer 2, not a score in a list. I honestly could not believe such a score based on what developers are saying, the tech demos we've already seen, nvidia's roadmap and common sense.

It is also entirely possible that if the score is true Antutu's woeful looking 3D benchmark (and it is woeful) may not take advantage of all of the Transformer's cores correctly... And who can verify this? No one because no one has another quad core to test or even a Transformer 2.

You are worried about nothing, until there is some hard evidence from some reputable people. If that came out and showed the same issues then I would start to get worried. Benchmarks like those shown in the links you posted earlier would be the best to be able to see, 1280x720 with unreal engine as that is a real world test that shows real results.

Edit: This is the kind of performance I would expect and am pretty sure it will turn out to be: http://www.androidauthority.com/teg...ealed-not-quad-core-its-quintuple-core-24852/, again, even that is not mind blowing, but it is pretty much what I expect.

Last edited:
Well if those benchmarks are invalid I guess so are the ones that prove the proving Transformer 2 is the most powerful android. I agree we need more hard evidence either way. I wonder if the reviews get delayed or if everyone can still published them in Novemeber.

EDIT: I thought most mobile benchmarks these days do off screen testing to get around the resolution problem. I know that's how GL mark works.

Last edited:
Well if those benchmarks are invalid I guess so are the ones that prove the proving Transformer 2 is the most powerful android. I agree we need more hard evidence either way. I wonder if the reviews get delayed or if everyone can still published them in Novemeber.
Well hopefully everything happens asap... The graphs I posted I'm pretty sure are from nvidia... I would be much more inclined to believe those numbers as they make sense and do confirm that it will not be THE most powerful thing around for too long... But nothing is these days.

EDIT: I thought most mobile benchmarks these days do off screen testing to get around the resolution problem. I know that's how GL mark works.
Antutu doesn't do that =/ And as said, it's a pretty basic test in itself.

Pottsey, are you seriously comparing a benchmark of a phone running a resolution of 800*480, to a tablet running 1280*800 resolution, and using it to say that the phone is faster? Do you genuinely think Tegra 2 would be faster than Tegra 3? The Tegra 3 is approximately 3x faster in terms of GPU horsepower.

Pottsey, are you seriously comparing a benchmark of a phone running a resolution of 800*480, to a tablet running 1280*800 resolution, and using it to say that the phone is faster? Do you genuinely think Tegra 2 would be faster than Tegra 3? The Tegra 3 is approximately 3x faster in terms of GPU horsepower.
No I don't genuinely think Tegra 2 is faster. But I don't expect Tegra 3 to be x3 faster either. I expect it to be around x1.5 to x2 faster. I was hoping for something to compete against the almost year old SGX543. Not something a year later that's more then half the speed.

To answer Rippling question the quad core in the Vita is what x5 to x12 faster depending on the benchmark. Not keen on that as I want a all in one device. Something with the power of an Ipad2 or better but as open as the Transformer.

Anyway this is enough talk about GPU's. Let's just wait till the full reviews are out.

From those dollar figures, this is going to be too expensive.

You think I am whiling to spend £400 of my money or even put this kind of money on a Christmas present list? For a tablet?! No dock? £400?

I don't think so.

A real shame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom