Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Soldato
OP
Dougsnake said:
Fine for me even though the clip is a bit short,i dont have oblivion installed anymore cos i got bored of it by the way...........

The file size was huge so i kept it short, but if you click repeat in media player it loops well.

Nogimmix said:
Fine for me too, I guess you should RMA your monitor.

It does seem like RMA time :( At least its good to i know the monitor can be ghost free as i love everything else about it.

Permabanned
I have missed a lot of this thread out as my eyes are stinging! *sobs* :o
we have taken 40% of theses screens back! (sold 194 upto now). Each one with the same RMA details!
Light Bleed, Lots of noise on a dark image, Ghosting and Distortion at high res.

I think these are aimed at the Consumer! they are sold from the spec and not from reality.

Permabanned
The screen is very imprssive in other ways... its screen just lets it right down! maybe they have clusters of Good and Bad! i can promise you... look arround the net, read reviews! you will find they come pretty much bottom on everything but looks.

Permabanned
M!!cook said:
The screen is very imprssive in other ways... its screen just lets it right down! maybe they have clusters of Good and Bad! i can promise you... look arround the net, read reviews! you will find they come pretty much bottom on everything but looks.

We'll I'm fortunate to have a good version, that looks gorgeous and a screen also gives a quality picture.

:D

Soldato
OP
Ive been talking to the Asus UK contact and after pointing him in the direction of this thread he said this.

Asus said:
Dear xxxx

This situation has been acknowledged by our Head Office and a solution is being sorted. Do RMA the unit and by the time we get it here we will have the solution prepared already.

Regards,

Asus said:
Dear xxxx

In order to ensure that the new unit is not in the same condition we will collect your unit, do the update that solves the problem, and ship it back to you. The whole procedure should not take more than 3 to 5 working days.

Regards,

Sounds promising :)

Soldato
OP
Nogimmix said:
Good bit of customer service. :)

Yeah, im guessing its this firmware update ive read about. Maybe yours already has it.

Id rather have my asus working than another Manufacture the picture and frame really look the business :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nogimmix said:
Good bit of customer service. :)
Hmmm. Submitted my RMA request on the 21/12/06 (5 working days ago) and I don't have a number or pickup date yet... :(

The guy I spoke to seemed to be having trouble finding the magic firmware flashing cable required to do the update. They said they would send me the firmware file if I could source my own cable. He mentioned parrallel to DVI, anybody got any ideas?

Associate
The manual says that 1680x1050 should be at 60hz.

I have NO ghosting whatsoever in Games (Mainly play 2142) (Edit: Update - Now I know what to look for I DO HAVE GHOSTING)

Excellent screen. (I used to have 2 x 19" Viewsonic 912's)

P.S that file seems to be corrupt. (Edit: Install Fraps then it plays)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Shaddow said:
The manual says that 1680x1050 should be at 60hz.

I have NO ghosting whatsoever in Games (Mainly play 2142)

Excellent screen. (I used to have 2 x 19" Viewsonic 912's)

P.S that file seems to be corrupt.

Yeah, i took the vid with fraps and it seems you will need to install it too.

Associate
My first post, so go easy :p

I too get ghosting on my Asus MW221U, especially on dark images like you Devious. I have owned 3 previous TFT's 15" and 17" and just guess it's down to the size of the panel.

I was thinking of an RMA but my partner's TFT has got some power issues so she is using my old TFT which would leave me without the use of my PC :( I may ring Asus and see what they have to say especially if they can send me the kit or point me in the right direction as after reading group tests for larger monitors this one was said to be the best for gaming, so it's a case of better the devil you know eh?

I do notice it in most games (WoW, mostly ironforge, HL2 EP1, R6V, BF2142), can be annoying but I've learned to live with it, also it's especially worse if you use scaling to display lower than native resolutions, especially in R6V :( so I try to center the image (but it kinda stops the point of having a 22" screen).

lol I knew all was not well when it came with the wrong power cable!! But it does look bloody nice :)

Overall I do like this monitor and for just under £300 it's great, just the ghosting can be a bit annoying at times.

Man of Honour
I was going to order this TFT this week. It's not the first time i've heard about the ghosting on this model. :(

So Baddass/Gibbo.. are you saying that this Asus TFT isn't the TFT to go for..? Which 22" WS TFT would you recommend. I'm coming from a reliable CRT and I'm a little concerned about any drop in image quality.

You also stated that a 60Mhz refresh rate shouldn't be an issue. I maybe wrong here, but I was under the impression that is not recommened as it can lead to greater eye strain and anything over 65MHz is more suitable. I may be wrong though.

Associate
TFTs don't redraw like CRTs do so they don't flicker, so there's no need to worry about eyestrain. On a TFT, the only thing the refresh rate really affects is the framerate you'll get if you enable vsync.

As to whether the monitor's actually any good or not... well there seem to be more people saying it is than it isn't. I've ordered one which is coming on Friday or Monday (not sure yet) so I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts - I'm very picky over monitor quality so if there is any of this overdrive related "pre-ghosting" people are on about then it will be RMA'd before it's been on the desk 30 minutes :)

Man of Honour
meglamaniac said:
TFTs don't redraw like CRTs do so they don't flicker, so there's no need to worry about eyestrain. On a TFT, the only thing the refresh rate really affects is the framerate you'll get if you enable vsync.

As to whether the monitor's actually any good or not... well there seem to be more people saying it is than it isn't. I've ordered one which is coming on Friday or Monday (not sure yet) so I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts - I'm very picky over monitor quality so if there is any of this overdrive related "pre-ghosting" people are on about then it will be RMA'd before it's been on the desk 30 minutes :)

that would be cool if you could :)

Back
Top Bottom