Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Associate
Ok I've got dispatch notification so my Asus should definately be coming tomorrow... hopefully I won't see any of the problems you guys have mentioned, but as I said earlier in the thread I'll definately let you know either way. I'll try the video in FRAPS as well.

Fingers crossed!

Associate
sent it to the wrong @$£"**^ email address lmao :D :rolleyes: , but I got the guys direct name and number so if I don't get a response by tomorrow afternoon I will pester him :p

Associate
ordered mine just now, although i heard many of you lads saying this monitor has issues i read someone else review's on it and seems that this monitor is just great (without having the ghosting thingy obviously!).

i should be getting it on thursday, hopefully there will be no problems with it.

i will let you know what my thoughts are (thursday only though) :(

Associate
Ok, mine has just arrived and I'm typing this on it now.

First impressions:
Colours fine, brightness fine and good range of adjustment, no noticeable dead pixels. Oh and it's huge. Absolutely huge.
About this flicker when it first turns on that some people have mentioned. So far as I can tell, that's the Asus Splendid thingy adjusting itself. Mine "flickered" about twice a second for maybe 10 - 20 seconds when I first turned it on and hasn't done so since. I'll test it a few times to be sure.

Right, I'm off to test this fraps video.

Associate
Plodicus said:
just load up an FPS game or something :)

I can't actually get to my computer at the moment (we have relatives staying in the room it's in) so I've got it connected to another one which can't really play anything due to having a crap graphics card. It can run the monitor at native though and it would be able to play the avi.

On further inspection there is something in the bottom right of the display which at first I thought was a dead pixel. In fact it isn't, it seems to be a scratch on the inside of the screen behind the LCD matrix. It covers about 4 pixels in a nearly horizontal line.
How can I tell it's behind the image? I made a white desktop image which simply surrounds the "dead pixel" in a 10px by 10px black single pixel width box. If you put your eyes dead on to the problem area, the "dead pixel" appears to be in the middle of the box. If you move your head, the "dead pixel" moves relative to the box. Further testing with other images reveals that all the pixels are in fact working, and that this is a backlight defect or a defect in the diffusor sheet between the backlight and the LCD matrix.

Solution: After phoning asus I've RMA'd the monitor, as this is NOT a dead pixel. I'll be getting a straight replacement probably next business day (ie. monday).

However, I still have the monitor til at least Monday so if Devious gets the AVI back up then I can test it just for the interest of the rest of you.

Associate
I've uploaded the test file to Putfile (Hope thats ok)

Heres the link...

http://media.putfile.com/Asus-MW221U-22--Ghosting-in-games-

P.s I Raised a Tech ticket yesterday and since I had no response I called UK support like again this morning.

They still denying any problems, but I forced the issue and the sent me the RMA form (Excel Spreadsheet)

I hope this process does not take long. (Do they do a swap out on collection). As I sold my old monitor I wont have any replacement !

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately I was told that they are aware of this fault and that they need to reload some firmware, so mine will be collected next week so I should get mine back a week today, so chances are you won't have a monitor for 3 days :(

Associate
Still not received my RMA email from Asus, I have spoke to the person in question and he says he has sent it, I have sent him 5 or 6 mails now so he's gotta have the right address, but it's still all set for Tuesday apparently :confused:

Associate
I have cancelled my RMA because I have solved the problem of the ghosting...yes that's right Plodicus does the techies jobs for them yet again :p

And it's so simple...OVERDRIVE IS DISABLED!!!

To enable it hold down the MENU button for 7 to 8 seconds and the OSD should appear giving you 2 options YES or NO, highlight NO (long white bar) and the screen will blur for a split second, then either press the SPLENDID key twice or let the OSD time out to get rid of it. :D

I hope it works for you guys because mine is 100% better!!!!!

Something as simple as that eh? Makes you wonder how the hell some people manage to get jobs in the IT sector. What a relief!!!!

Soldato
Cracking work Plod! How on earth did you come to discover that?

It did seem strange that certain monitors from the same batch have a problem and need a firmware update when others don't.

Associate
I submitted a ticket and got the usual crap response of resetting the colours, but they said hold down the SPLENDID key for 3 seconds but nothing happened, so I tried holding down the MENU key and voila ghost free gaming!!!!! :D :D

Associate
Well bugger me, you're absolutely right! I did it with the videoclip posted earlier looping fullscreen and the difference is obvious.

That's unbelievable. Due to the backlight issue with mine I'm still going to RMA it. Why the hell have they been giving people DVI to parallel cables and firmware updates instead of admitting they made a ballsup and just saying "press the button for 10 secs, our bad."

Back
Top Bottom