Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
Now this is the kind of portable (non-laptop) gadget I'm interested in, as it runs Windows, not a proprietary OS.

So I'd be able to play any of my GOG, Epic, Origin games, etc.

Will be keeping a close eye on how this develops.

Soldato
OP
So it looks like it will have better cooling, more power, better screen, RGB, and likely higher price.

However, will the following match up? Controls, battery life, software support, after sales support, replacement parts available. I have my doubts.

What would you want on the software side other than customisations such as tdp and fan control. From Dave2D's video, SSD is really accessible and sticks are easy to replace. Batter we'll have to find out.

Associate
Part of the charm of the steam deck is the price/fun ratio. And the fact that many have tens or hundreds of unplayed games in their steam libraries. Ive seen plenty of people wanting for a "higher end" steam deck at a higher price. so it has a market, but perhaps a smaller market than the steam deck. It depends on the price i guess.

For me, i was a bit on the fence about the steam deck, as i wondered how much id actually use it, but on sale at £315, i couldnt resist. I actually like that it it doesnt run windows, (but i also like that you can). I'm surprised it works as slick as it does. but early adopters might have had a different experience.

When Valve do something, people take notice. They hit it out of the park on this one.

Soldato
Yeah it'll be way more powerful
But it'll cost double probably
It'll be very expensive, especially when you look at the similar Ayn, Ayaneo, GPD devices. SD is probably sold close to cost, if not at a loss, because the real money is in the Steam games.

120Hz will be a bit of a gimmick because most games won't hit that, but it will be nice to be able to go over 60.

Battery will definitely suffer, and if you locked this thing to the SD TDP, performance won't be that spectacular. You can't really match TDP because it has more cores and not all games favour that, although the higher clock will definitely help.

What we really need for a gaming handheld is an ARM-based solution, but PC gaming isn't there yet.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a reason I loved my PSP at the time I got it (Xmas 2004) it could match the console performance of the current console at the time which was the PS2 but lacking the full control layout of the console (lack of L2 + R2)

That's the reason the PS Vita failed it was half baked.

I'd honestly prefer to see a portable that can match PS5 and Series X performance but has access to their entire library of games (But Microsoft or Sony won't make this) the cost would outweigh any benefits for them. I know we're heading into this weird cross over space where cloud gaming is probably more viable than building all this hardware in the system.

The ROG Ally could be great to use on geforce now as well as all the games it'll run well locally a win/win in my books as certain games being able to rely on a 4080 at 120hz while chilling on the couch will be insane.

Man of Honour
The ROG Ally could be great to use on geforce now as well as all the games it'll run well locally a win/win in my books as certain games being able to rely on a 4080 at 120hz while chilling on the couch will be insane.

If it is a full Windows experience you can use Steam Remote Play from a PC to the device - albeit at a performance hit compared to playing locally but so will a streaming service. Obviously you'd need to have bought a high powered GPU in that scenario rather than renting a service.

Associate
If it is a full Windows experience you can use Steam Remote Play from a PC to the device - albeit at a performance hit compared to playing locally but so will a streaming service. Obviously you'd need to have bought a high powered GPU in that scenario rather than renting a service.
Geforce now is the best cloud streaming service for latency though. From my experience I wouldn't be able to tell from the latency but more the slightly degraded image quality, especially in high intensity scenes.

If you have a really good internal set up I'm sure steam remote play is better but from my own experience geforce now is better.

Soldato
OP
Associate
Reminds me of my Gamegear I like it, I wonder if future games will optimised around these handheld pcs instead if the market grows
Interesting take, similar to how portable VR headsets got vr game devs well, optimising their games for the cut down resources Vs PCVR.

Maybe it'll give incentive for game devs to start making competent console -> PC ports by the least

Back
Top Bottom