Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
Yep price got leaked it's $699 at best buy in the USA. And that's not entry level, it's using the top of the range z1 extreme chip

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This bodes well for the next steam deck. I wonder if they would use this soc or wait for the next one on a smaller manufacturing process. Would be nice of the latter.

I want 1080p gaming and a better screen and body. But would prefer it to be a steam deck than a Asus product.

Soldato
This bodes well for the next steam deck. I wonder if they would use this soc or wait for the next one on a smaller manufacturing process. Would be nice of the latter.

I want 1080p gaming and a better screen and body. But would prefer it to be a steam deck than a Asus product.
Steam Deck with an OLED screen and ZEN6/RDNA4 would be a monster.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Their advertised price would be before sales tax anyway, so we will probably get it at £700 and they'll pay closer to $800 when tax is added.

Yep. Too expensive for a handheld. Only way I would do that is if I was going to stop gaming on my PC for a few years or something. Otherwise it would not get enough game time for me to justify it.

I just want it as a backup and mobile device I can game on when I feel. But it is not a must have thing.

I feel there will be something great with a very good price point in the next 2-5 years.

Soldato
Yep. Too expensive for a handheld. Only way I would do that is if I was going to stop gaming on my PC for a few years or something. Otherwise it would not get enough game time for me to justify it.

I just want it as a backup and mobile device I can game on when I feel. But it is not a must have thing.

I feel there will be something great with a very good price point in the next 2-5 years.
Agreed. I could see it being used docked on the tv as it would have better quality than streaming (assuming it has the power).

Realistically the best handheld will be an ARM-based one where you can easily get several hours of game time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Agreed. I could see it being used docked on the tv as it would have better quality than streaming (assuming it has the power).

Realistically the best handheld will be an ARM-based one where you can easily get several hours of game time.

I am not too bothered about battery life to be honest. Can always use a power bank if need be.

720p or whatever steam deck is just did not cut it for me. Need 1080p imo.

Soldato

I mean it's no more than the steamdeck at that price and much more powerful so clearly has a huge market.

Soldato
£700 is double the cheapest Steam Deck :confused:

Still, if it was black, ran SteamOS, had the touch pads and has similar battery life I'd be interested in swapping over from a 512gb.

Thing is, the SD got there first and I don't see the point in me changing until there's something comparable (in terms of the OS and control options mentioned earlier) which means I'll probably be on this hardware until the SD 2 shows up.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
They're on a losing battle trying to beat the Steam Deck. Yes, it's more powerful, but 80% of users are just going to buy the cheaper SD, with the support of Valve, the SteamOS and the great community. Obviously the enthusiasts will get devices like this, but they're not going to trouble valve's sales figures.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They're on a losing battle trying to beat the Steam Deck. Yes, it's more powerful, but 80% of users are just going to buy the cheaper SD, with the support of Valve, the SteamOS and the great community. Obviously the enthusiasts will get devices like this, but they're not going to trouble valve's sales figures.

Yeah. I am not a fan of Asus. Used to love them and their mobos in particular, but they over did it with their Asus tax and you did not even get better customer support for all that extra money.

Much prefer the Steam Deck and I will wait for Steam Deck 2 myself :)

Soldato
Yeah. I am not a fan of Asus. Used to love them and their mobos in particular, but they over did it with their Asus tax and you did not even get better customer support for all that extra money.

Much prefer the Steam Deck and I will wait for Steam Deck 2 myself :)

You've had a go on the Ally?

Back
Top Bottom