Asus ROG Ally

Associate

Cheaper Ally
Well if this proves to be true, we know the 512gb and 1tb versions will be different not just in terms of storage.... At this point I just want Asus to release the damn thing so I can decide whether or not to sell my steam deck :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Well if this proves to be true, we know the 512gb and 1tb versions will be different not just in terms of storage.... At this point I just want Asus to release the damn thing so I can decide whether or not to sell my steam deck :rolleyes:
If there is a cheaper one, wonder if it would be slightly smaller.

Associate
If there is a cheaper one, wonder if it would be slightly smaller.
I doubt that'd be the case, probably costs less to manufacture a single case variant, and I doubt there's going to be many (if any) differences in terms of say PCB components, so it'd likely be the same size system with a different memory/chiplet config

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I found the Ally in Geekbench, actually multiple of them

the Z1 phoenix apu, max cpu clock of 4.9ghz. the Z1 Extreme phoenix apu, max cpu clock of 5.1ghz

That means there are at least two versions of the Rog ally but I suspect there could be even more. The cheapest one has the Z1 chip which has 6 cpu cores and 12 threads and 4 RDNA3 GPU units. The obviously more expensive version of the Rog Ally has the Z1 extreme processor which has 8 cpu cores and 12 threads and 12 RDNA3 GPU units.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do these non Steam Deck handhelds enable you to freeze the game you are playing when you put it to sleep (like the Steam Deck)?

Associate
Do these non Steam Deck handhelds enable you to freeze the game you are playing when you put it to sleep (like the Steam Deck)?
You'd have to use sleep in Windows, hopefully the Ally supports it without issue and the games don't crash when trying to resume.

Associate
I'd be surprised if it's not between £799 to £999

I'd upgrade the Deck to the Ally if it was £600, but it's never going to be.
£600.... Yeah looking at the pricing on the rest of the ROG product line I wouldn't be surprised if this were to cost above £999 here in the UK lmao

Soldato
You'd have to use sleep in Windows, hopefully the Ally supports it without issue and the games don't crash when trying to resume.
Windows sleep function is notoriously bad so it probably won’t be a thing. It’ll be similar to a laptop whereas with SteamOS they can do pretty much whatever they want.

Soldato
No reason to think it won't be twice the performance.
The deck was a perfect product to Kick-start the market.
I think it will be a significant performance leap, but the important part is how much power will that leap require. There’s only so much battery you can add to the device.

Back
Top Bottom