Asus ROG Ally

Associate
Multiple use cases really, you either play portable or you don't, if you don't see the appeal of a Switch for example this is not for you.

In our house the Portable PC (AOKZOE A1 Pro in our case) is replacing my daughters gaming PC (gaming PC being a term for her last gen APU based lightweight gaming machine) but allows her to use it like her Switch where ever she wants but with superior performance in the likes of Minecraft and Stardew etc, so she doesn't have to be a sat in solitude gamer, she can instead ignore her family sat next to us :D

Helps I like gadgets :D

This is almost a 2x performance upgrade with portability, once plugged into my TB dock she still has a desktop for school work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Much like the Streamdeck, I don't really understand the appeal of these devices.

Playing your games at 720p on a portable device around the house... What's the point exactly? I would never take it outside the house anyway.

Interesting to see what these new integrated graphics are capable of, but beyond the technical interest, I would never use them.
Thank you for your post. However, i'd question why you even made it? If you cannot understand the concept, or the point.. why post?

Today, I'm fed up of people saying or doing silly things. So, i'm taking it out on you. Congratulations.

Suspended
Thank you for your post. However, i'd question why you even made it? If you cannot understand the concept, or the point.. why post?

Today, I'm fed up of people saying or doing silly things. So, i'm taking it out on you. Congratulations.

Why wouldn't I? You don't get a monopoly on opinions that can be posted.

Like I said it's interesting technically so I watch videos about handhelds and mini PC's all the time to see what they're capable of and how tech is progressing. :)

Soldato
Why wouldn't I? You don't get a monopoly on opinions that can be posted.

Like I said it's interesting technically so I watch videos about handhelds and mini PC's all the time to see what they're capable of and how tech is progressing. :)
Plenty of people can't comprehend why would someone waste time playing video games. A portable gaming device is what you don't understand?

The ROG Ally isn't for me but I completely understand it's appeal. How can you not?

Soldato
Much like the Streamdeck, I don't really understand the appeal of these devices.

Playing your games at 720p on a portable device around the house... What's the point exactly? I would never take it outside the house anyway.

Interesting to see what these new integrated graphics are capable of, but beyond the technical interest, I would never use them.
Presumably other people might take it outside the house...

Suspended
Presumably other people might take it outside the house...

Maybe, I'm not addicted enough to any games to even consider doing that, neither would I want to carry something like this around with me.

If somebody gave me one, it would just end up in a draw somewhere, or a paperweight. If you enjoy these devices, or find them useful then great, I don't.

Impressive for what it is, but when I game I want a good experience, and playing on 7" screen with low settings with console controls isn't for me.

Associate
When you travel, popping your gaming PC in your backpack is not ideal, because of all the junk I carry, a gaming laptop and paraphernalia is not ideal, this is sweet, I currently use a 1.18kg laptop at the moment to accompany my work laptop but it's igpu can't match this, the portable PC lightens the load quite a bit by consolidating everything into this little package that is way easier to handle in a crappy hotel chair or bed, I might also get a ROG Ally as it is smaller again than what I am trialling for my kid at the mo.

Soldato
Long taxi journeys, extended periods of waiting, lunch breaks. Opening a portable gaming PCs thread, and saying that you think it's pointless because you don't understand portable gaming is a bit strange. :D

Soldato
I use mine everyday at lunch, well when I am not in the midst of payroll. For this purpose the extra grunt over the SD, The ability play any game (in my case D2) is a nice positive and the relatively short battery life doesn't matter. The appeal is that you can literally game on it (or use it generally) in a portable fashion.

If using it in a portable manner doesn't appeal to you then it isn't the device for you, simples..

Last edited:
Soldato
I use mine everyday at lunch, well when I am not in the midst of payroll. For this purpose the extra grunt over the SD, The ability play any game (in my case D2) is a nice positive and the relatively short battery life doesn't matter. The appeal is that you can literally game on it (or use it generally) in a portable fashion.

If using it in a portable manner doesn't appeal to you then it isn't the device for you, simples..

i just got mine finally. Asus posted it pre launch should have had it on launch day but dpd failed to deliver it on 8 attempts….. got D4 installed and loving it! can’t wait to use it at work for my hour break, also got vampire survivors ready incase work’s internet isn’t happy

Soldato
i just got mine finally. Asus posted it pre launch should have had it on launch day but dpd failed to deliver it on 8 attempts….. got D4 installed and loving it! can’t wait to use it at work for my hour break, also got vampire survivors ready incase work’s internet isn’t happy

8 Attemps???? Whaaaaa :eek: :eek:

Not going to lie I just looked on Currys website when my car was in for Service and ordered it for next day delivery (which was "free" due to an offer).

I need to look into D4 as I loved D3 (should note I mean Destiny 2 when I typed D2... :cry:).

Got my Ally ready for docking with the XG mobile, properly this time...

Associate
Anyone experiencing frequent crashes when gaming, and the gpu getting locked at 800mhz. (Which I think the gpu being stuck at 800mhz is causing game crashes).

Happens to me mainly on emulation, but it's happened on pc games too a few times.

Soldato
8 Attemps???? Whaaaaa :eek: :eek:

Not going to lie I just looked on Currys website when my car was in for Service and ordered it for next day delivery (which was "free" due to an offer).

I need to look into D4 as I loved D3 (should note I mean Destiny 2 when I typed D2... :cry:).

Got my Ally ready for docking with the XG mobile, properly this time...

The xg mobile is definitely something i will be considering but later down the line.

Destiny 2 is awesome, diablo 4 is incredible!

i need to find a good screen protector and case but what i’m finding are all terribly reviewed

Soldato
I got this one from the rainforest, it’s for a switch but the ally fits perfectly
iofeiwak Hori Split Pad Pro Case - Portable Hard Shell Carrying Case for Nintendo Switch Hori Split Pad Pro Controller - Lightweight & Shockproof https://amzn.eu/d/fZsviXT

The xg mobile is definitely something i will be considering but later down the line.

Destiny 2 is awesome, diablo 4 is incredible!

i need to find a good screen protector and case but what i’m finding are all terribly reviewed

I just received the case as mentioned by Olliej82 above and it does indeed fit the Ally, if a little snug around its middle.

I have said it before but there should be a carry case included considering its main competitor has one, even on the "cheapest" model!

Associate
Aye. Have taken my 1TB card out for the time being, even though I'd not actually put anything onto it yet. People affected seem to suggest it's related to people using 'plugged in' turbo mode for the vast majority of time sending the card/reader over recommended operating temp.
Can be managed with a manual fan profile, but looks like yet another thing to be fixed by Asus, who have offered an acknowledgement of the issue over the last day or so. Best whip them out if using them for the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom