Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
Not so interested in these handheld devices other than a passing interest but I am interested how you get on with this 2TB drive from AliExpress.
Will let you know. I was interested in the Ally (hence coming in here) but the lack of trackpads (for me at least) is a bit step down from the Deck. Also, from all the reviews and comments it seems Windows isnt quite ready for the handheld market

Associate
As great as this hardware is.. we all know Windows is the achillies heal. Even in ROG's own tips and tricks video, windows is the obvious issue and they have some issues:

Definitely an achilles heal whilst setting it up etc. Not so bad if you just launch straight into steam / big picture mode. But Microsoft need to do something in the handheld space / for windows gaming devices, steam os has shown how it can work.

I'll bet in the coming months there will be tweaked versions of holoiso / chimera os for this. Chimera os already support some of the other windows handhelds.

I believe they work now, eta prime has shown the ally running chimera but it was a bit buggy.

Soldato
Will let you know. I was interested in the Ally (hence coming in here) but the lack of trackpads (for me at least) is a bit step down from the Deck. Also, from all the reviews and comments it seems Windows isnt quite ready for the handheld market

I think both the Deck and Ally are going to revolutionise PC gaming for the better when they end up taking a decent chunk of market share of the 'PC' platform.

I can see myself getting the Deck2 or Ally2 in a few years but I know the idea of one of these would've blown my mind as a teenager. The PSP felt like peak mobile gaming in secondary school, can't imagine how they feel now with these devices being available.

Soldato
I think both the Deck and Ally are going to revolutionise PC gaming for the better when they end up taking a decent chunk of market share of the 'PC' platform.

I can see myself getting the Deck2 or Ally2 in a few years but I know the idea of one of these would've blown my mind as a teenager. The PSP felt like peak mobile gaming in secondary school, can't imagine how they feel now with these devices being available.
I remember playing Sonic on my friends Sega game gear in around 1992. I was blown away.
I'm sure his parents must have given him is pocket money in AA batteries :D That thing chewed through them fast!

Soldato
I remember playing Sonic on my friends Sega game gear in around 1992. I was blown away.
I'm sure his parents must have given him is pocket money in AA batteries :D That thing chewed through them fast!
We had a game gear but we weren't rich enough for the constant AA batteries so I could only play it tethered to the wall!

Sonic, Duck Tales and columns took so much of my time as a kid!

Soldato
We had a game gear but we weren't rich enough for the constant AA batteries so I could only play it tethered to the wall!

Sonic, Duck Tales and columns took so much of my time as a kid!
Sonic and colums for sure
Only had an atari lynx that was bad enough on batteries but hate to think how bad the game gear with tv tuner was, on the go.
I seem to remember the Game gear took 6 AA batteries that lasted around 3 hours :D

When rechargable batteries became a thing, the life was even worse at maybe 2 hours.

Soldato
Sonic and colums for sure

I seem to remember the Game gear took 6 AA batteries that lasted around 3 hours :D

When rechargable batteries became a thing, the life was even worse at maybe 2 hours.
I had a rechargeable battery grip for mine, comfortable to hold and no AA's.

Soldato
Received mine earlier today. Spent a whole updating everything and getting a few games installed followed by a quick run through on Destiny 2. Difficult to get a direct like for like comparison to the Deck but it’s seems somewhat faster at the ~ 15-17w power envelope whilst being around 50-80% faster when running the turbo profile (runs at 60+ vs ~ 40 ish on the deck). Downside of course is the power requirements. 25w-ish on the APU was pulling around 37w total so battery life isn’t great.

What I wasn’t expecting was the performance when I plugged it back in… Power jumped to ~45w sustained and now can hit 60FPS at 1080p. Certainly makes me interested to get it docked both in isolation and with the XG Mobile. CPU was clocking at around 4400Mhz with the gpu also boosting to over 2Ghz. Drop the GPU out of the equation and I wonder how high it can sustain in game,

As others have already had noted the Ally’s biggest strength, Windows is also its greatest weakness. For me it has been fine for the most part but compared to the ease and consistent approach of Steam OS it still has a long way to go. Steam OS has its limitations, lack of games that require online anti cheat being the biggest one, but it feels like the right direction for the handheld gaming space.

Hog warts is up next, once it recharges…. :cry:

Edit: Just remembered one thing, so far in my use case and ambient room levels it seems way quieter than the Deck. Neither is loud to my ears but I can hear more of the air moving sound from the Deck whereas I can barely hear the Ally at all, despite a higher power level.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats why I thought you were not interested in the Ally.

Associate
Very temping to sell up the deck and desktop and get one. Although I'm struggling to use the deck or the desktop so not sure it worth it.

Has anyone moved fro
Deck to this and fou d it worth the extra?

Last edited:
Soldato
Very temping to sell up the deck and desktop and get one. Although I'm struggling to use the deck or the desktop so not sure it worth it.

Has anyone moved fro
Deck to this and fou d it worth the extra?
Please translate.
So you’re thinking selling your Steam deck and desktop pc, but you’re stuggling to use the deck and desktop so not sure it’s worth selling them?
I’ve only had one beer but reading that it’s like i’ve had 6 :D

Edit - Can’t the Ally be connected to an external GPU / GPU housing? Something like a specific 3080 that costs ~ £1500. That’s out the top black port connector

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom