ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM

Associate
TfTCentrals review comes off as quite positive, especially saying the HDR performance surpasses the LGs. It throws me off my choice seeing posts like this though: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...us_pg27aqdm_vs_lg_gr95qeb_hdr_comparison_and/

The fan in this LG is awful so I'm still likely going to buy the Asus anyway (if LG ever respond to my Return request)
In fairness to LG (though I’ve been disappointed with their oled) my fan couldn’t be heard at all so sounds like a faulty one

Associate
I'll receive my PG27AQDM hopefully this week.

One question about the settings:
Both TFTCentral and PC Monitors have videos with "Best Settings" online.
Am I right to assume that I need to figure out the best settings for color temperature and so on myself because the best settings here will differ from unit to unit?

Man of Honour
I'll receive my PG27AQDM hopefully this week.

One question about the settings:
Both TFTCentral and PC Monitors have videos with "Best Settings" online.
Am I right to assume that I need to figure out the best settings for color temperature and so on myself because the best settings here will differ from unit to unit?
unlikely to vary much unless Asus make some major change to the firmware. If you have your own calibration or measurement device, then you could certainly run the software and balance the RB channels that way. if you don't the recommendations should be decent :)

Associate
Right now, it's between the LG 27GR95QE-B and Asus PG27AQDM if you want a 27" flat panel. Ultimately, both are good options and any OLED is fantastic for colors, as you know.

But hear me out, consider the Alienware AW3423DW or the MSI Meg 342C instead. The Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 is an option as well if you're fine with a sharper curve. While all of these are 34" UWs, the image quality is unmatched with a QD-OLED panel and compared to the W-OLED LG produces for its own monitors and for other brands.

Note, we tested the LG model in-house and didn't have any brightness concerns that gamers online have consistently noted, including here. The shipped models improved upon some of the brightness issues LG had in early demo's.

But regardless, the alternative models listed are far brighter and punchier than any OLED, including the PG27AQDM. We compared the LG OLED next to both the Alienware AW3423DW and Samsung Odyssey OLED G8. From firsthand experience, there is a noticeably better image quality with the Alienware and Samsung monitors.

While we haven't done the same with side-by-side comparisons for the PG27AQDM, the picture quality improvements over the LG model will be minor. Both use the same LG-built W-OLED panel, so they're practically the same, with the Asus enable to squeeze out a few more nits in select scenarios. Then the only real differences are aesthetics and HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1.

I wrote a detailed OLED gaming monitor buying guide comparing the top picks and I've included it below if it's helpful.

https://www.setup.gg/reviews/monitor/best-oled-gaming/

I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have. Just shoot. I've tested the following OLED's firsthand: LG 27GR95QE-B, LG45GR95QE-B, Samsung Odyssey OLED G8, Asus PG42UQ, Asus PG48UQ, and Alienware AW3423DW.

Soldato
Right now, it's between the LG 27GR95QE-B and Asus PG27AQDM if you want a 27" flat panel. Ultimately, both are good options and any OLED is fantastic for colors, as you know.

But hear me out, consider the Alienware AW3423DW or the MSI Meg 342C instead. The Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 is an option as well if you're fine with a sharper curve. While all of these are 34" UWs, the image quality is unmatched with a QD-OLED panel and compared to the W-OLED LG produces for its own monitors and for other brands.

Note, we tested the LG model in-house and didn't have any brightness concerns that gamers online have consistently noted, including here. The shipped models improved upon some of the brightness issues LG had in early demo's.

But regardless, the alternative models listed are far brighter and punchier than any OLED, including the PG27AQDM. We compared the LG OLED next to both the Alienware AW3423DW and Samsung Odyssey OLED G8. From firsthand experience, there is a noticeably better image quality with the Alienware and Samsung monitors.

While we haven't done the same with side-by-side comparisons for the PG27AQDM, the picture quality improvements over the LG model will be minor. Both use the same LG-built W-OLED panel, so they're practically the same, with the Asus enable to squeeze out a few more nits in select scenarios. Then the only real differences are aesthetics and HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1.

I wrote a detailed OLED gaming monitor buying guide comparing the top picks and I've included it below if it's helpful.

https://www.setup.gg/reviews/monitor/best-oled-gaming/

I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have. Just shoot. I've tested the following OLED's firsthand: LG 27GR95QE-B, LG45GR95QE-B, Samsung Odyssey OLED G8, Asus PG42UQ, Asus PG48UQ, and Alienware AW3423DW.
nice post,
Im coming from a LG CX 48" (which i loved but too big) & owing to the fact i want to get out the GPU chasing race. I'm down to a 34" or 27"
I've moved my CX to the Bedroom, & using 27" monitors stacked at 75hz,I'm actaully falling in love with 27" again
Ive had 34" before & im tempted, but I think id rather 2x27" side by side vs 34+27" stacked
i got room for side by side but its nice to have a spacious desk too
Plus 2560x1440 will last longer GPU wise vs 3400 sure only 15%
As i said above want to get out the GPU race currently got a 3090 so at 1440p it last ages. its nice to set Ultra at 1440p set & forget & get 130FPS.

TBH anything over 120HZ doesn't really bother me to much, rather cap & have ultra slient rig. but ill opened that up on super light games

based on above looking at 27" W-OLED's or the possiblity of the new 27" QD-OLED in the pipe
i almost pulled the buy button on the LG but im in a super bright room, so wary (got windows on 3 sides) & the fact firmware updates soo long? :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But hear me out, consider the Alienware AW3423DW or the MSI Meg 342C instead. The Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 is an option as well if you're fine with a sharper curve.
All these models have the same 1800R curvature and are based on the same Samsung QD-OLED panel

Soldato
based on above looking at 27" W-OLED's or the possiblity of the new 27" QD-OLED in the pipe
i almost pulled the buy button on the LG but im in a super bright room, so wary (got windows on 3 sides) & the fact firmware updates soo long? :/

Do we know if there are any timescales on the 27" QD-OLEDs and if they are likely to be much better? I'm definitely in the market for a 27' OLED now having just bought and returned an IPS. The ASUS is looking the mostly likely choice for me but interested to know if there are any potentially better options soon. I'm sure the ultra-wides are very nice but I really want to stick to 27"

Man of Honour
Do we know if there are any timescales on the 27" QD-OLEDs and if they are likely to be much better? I'm definitely in the market for a 27' OLED now having just bought and returned an IPS. The ASUS is looking the mostly likely choice for me but interested to know if there are any potentially better options soon. I'm sure the ultra-wides are very nice but I really want to stick to 27"
All the information here: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/monitor-oled-panel-roadmap-updates-march-2023

:)

Soldato
Soldato
Thanks, that's really helpful. I don't think I'll bother waiting for the 27" Samsung panel as I guess that could be a while with dates still unknown. As far a the ones with the LG panel, I might wait and see how the Corsair reviews as sounds like that has a burn in warranty unlike the LG and Asus, any plans to review that?
someone did a review on youtube & its worse of the 3 for picture quality
currently im thinking buying the LG OLED or just finding a Good 1440 IPS monitor for now till somthing better comes a long. i was using a 48 CX now, which i moved to the bedroom, currently using a cheap dell 27" 1440p at 60hz!
as i use this for WFH 3.5 days a week to IPS might be a better choice. although my CX was OLED and didnt have issues it was not a W-OLED

Last edited:
Soldato
someone did a review on youtube & its worse of the 3 for picture quality
currently im thinking buying the LG OLED or just finding a Good 1440 IPS monitor for now till somthing better comes a long. i was using a 48 CX now, which i moved to the bedroom, currently using a cheap dell 27" 1440p at 60hz!
as i use this for WFH 3.5 days a week to IPS might be a better choice. although my CX was OLED and didnt have issues it was not a W-OLED
Thanks, yeah I found a Youtube review and it looks like its even less bright than the LG. Though I'm not really sure about brightness, I do play in a well lit room, but I still don't seem to have the brightness set very high.
Its a shame there is no perfect solution, I very nearly kept the IPS I bought and was happy with it most of the time, but the IPS glow on dark scenes was really off putting and I felt I was making compromises after spending a lot of the rest of my setup. I do tend to WFH a couple of days a week which is anther factor, but tempted to just keep my old screen for that.

Soldato
Thanks, yeah I found a Youtube review and it looks like its even less bright than the LG. Though I'm not really sure about brightness, I do play in a well lit room, but I still don't seem to have the brightness set very high.
Its a shame there is no perfect solution, I very nearly kept the IPS I bought and was happy with it most of the time, but the IPS glow on dark scenes was really off putting and I felt I was making compromises after spending a lot of the rest of my setup. I do tend to WFH a couple of days a week which is anther factor, but tempted to just keep my old screen for that.
So yeh i ended up buying my monitor, just as i reminder coming from a LG CX48 OLED i bought the LG 27" Oled

setup
27" oled as main with Dell D2721DS on top

for a few reasons

1. ASUS OLED on Reddit has multiple people having issues, few of them Have gone through 2-3 panels! - broken screens , totally dead screens & burn in already :o (oled_gaming reddit)
2. QD-OLED is not out for 27" was very tempted by going 34" which i might do in future ( change my screens every 2 years)
3. got bored of constant research

Now to put it clear my desk area is in the middle of what i call a green house
full size doubled windows behind & one to the right of that! & further more A large Balcony door at a 90 degree angle of that.
i too was worried about brightness

I received the panel & done the firmware update (which took 2H 56M) i went from V1.00 to v1.17 (apparently its faster after this)
HDR gaming - Set up exactly how TFT central did 100% brightness - & in some scenes its too bright that wince im' very tempted to push it to 80% or 70%

SDR/Office work -setup as tytft central did I had to set it to 60% brightness as it was far to bright on the whites.
IT looks awesome, my LG CX i used to use at 35% brightness, & the 27" temp screen I was using was 350 nits and i also had that at 50%
I'm writing this in SDR mode with the curtain open behind me & can see everything just fine. all the way down to around 30% where i call it start of getting to dim

im perfectly happy, i might move to 34" in the future but the idea was to get out of the ratt race of gpu chasing 3090 will last a while :)

to add my wife only likes it on 30% or lower so its very subjective
to add my iphone 14 screens all run at about 10% or less brightness (normally around 2%)
my 350 panel above again 50% or less.

text on windows has been super fine no issue, but on Mac i have noticed blury text, going to play around with apple smoothing in future.
one thing that put my mind at ease was getting the nits of my current screen & lowering it to an ideal level & doing maths on ROUGHLY how many nits im looking at its not perfect but its easier to judge

Last edited:
Soldato
@smogsy Thanks for sharing, its great to hear your real world experience, especially as you have it setup in a bright room as that was one of the main concerns. I am very tempted to follow your lead as I'm getting pretty tired of researching as well! Just a bit off putting as if you search you always find somebody who's not happy, but sure that's the case with anything.

I actually checked the brightness on my current TN screen yesterday and realised I have it set at 15%, and looking at the specs its rated at 350 nits (honestly its not as dark as it sounds), so based on that I should be good I guess..

I was starting to get tempted with an ultrawide yesterday as I spotted the Alienware AW3423DWF for £800, which seems a great price for what you are getting, plus that 3 year burn in warranty they offer is a big draw. Though then I started reading rumours that they have a new panel on the way very soon, not sure how true that is but would be annoying if I got one just before that happened, though I don't want to keep waiting for the next thing. Plus I think overall I'm not that keen on going ultra wide, also like you I want to avoid frequent GPU upgrades, I have recently got a 4090 so I'm sure I could (and probably should) go to town on an ultrawide, but I should be good for a long time if I don't.

Any noticeable noise from the fan?

Last edited:
Soldato
@smogsy Thanks for sharing, its great to hear your real world experience, especially as you have it setup in a bright room as that was one of the main concerns. I am very tempted to follow your lead as I'm getting pretty tired of researching as well! Just a bit off putting as if you search you always find somebody who's not happy, but sure that's the case with anything.

I actually checked the brightness on my current TN screen yesterday and realised I have it set at 15%, and looking at the specs its rated at 350 nits (honestly its not as dark as it sounds), so based on that I should be good I guess..

I was starting to get tempted with an ultrawide yesterday as I spotted the Alienware AW3423DWF for £800, which seems a great price for what you are getting, plus that 3 year burn in warranty they offer is a big draw. Though then I started reading rumours that they have a new panel on the way very soon, not sure how true that is but would be annoying if I got one just before that happened, though I don't want to keep waiting for the next thing. Plus I think overall I'm not that keen on going ultra wide, also like you I want to avoid frequent GPU upgrades, I have recently got a 4090 so I'm sure I could (and probably should) go to town on an ultrawide, but I should be good for a long time if I don't.

Any noticeable noise from the fan?
yeh their is a QD-OLEd v2 from samsung coming out first screen to have it is their 49" 32:9 model

Fan noise their is a slight whine every so often, but i can only hear it when i put my ear to the screen, at first i thought it was my new work laptop (MBP) & when i went close to the laptop noticed it was the screen
to make clear i love a quiet area, My pc is running 6 noctuas at <20% (400rpm) when my PC is on i cannot hear it in the slightest but with just my MBP on i hear every so often.
However watch any type of content with audio & its gone.
its not loud enough or annoying enough to do anything about & as you reduce brightness it happens way less often anyway.

while working with screen brightness at 60-75% i heard it twice in 8 hours, when the room was super quiet

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, that sounds acceptable. I'm likely to just use it for gaming and my old screen for work, so any minor noise should get drowned out.

Back
Top Bottom