ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM

Caporegime
Funny thing is, no one is buying the LG uw OLED version lol. They even lowered the price to €1729.
Yup, $1499 in the States too (LG site). They'll have to drop a lot more off of it if they want to sell any quantity!

Been UK stock for at least 2 weeks.

edit - 5120x2160 version coming in 2025 has piqued my interest, albeit 'only' 165Hz.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, $1499 in the States too (LG site). They'll have to drop a lot more off of it if they want to sell any quantity!

Been UK stock for at least 2 weeks.

edit - 5120x2160 version coming in 2025 has piqued my interest, albeit 'only' 165Hz.
Make it €/£199 and we talk lol. But I'm lying :p

I forgot that even exists. I don't really care about ultrawide anyway.
100% of my use cases doesn't work with ultrawides. It's funny to see they dropped the price that soon. Hopefully this will wake up Scamsung but I doubt it. However, once I tried the LG 27GR95QE, I don't even want QD-OLED.

Man of Honour
So no word or experiences from owners here regarding black crush in SDR mode? Did Vincent have a faulty unit?
There's black crush, or rather limited shadow detail in SDR mode and those Lagom tests are a reasonable example of where it's hard to make out some of the near black shades properly. There's no easy way to correct this either without a calibration device, even with settings like the shadow detail control that Asus provide which is a shame.

This is a problem on most OLED screens though tbh, although on some like the LG 27GR95QE you could improve things quite nicely with some tweaks to shadow detail setting (or via calibration). The Corsair Flex was another example where near black detail was poor (more so than this Asus screen) as the gamma was also offer in darker shades.

For this Asus screen I don't think it's the kind of thing though that would cause many real world problems, unless you're super sensitive or work with loads of dark content or play loads of very dark games. A lot has been made of Vincent's comment about it, but realistically it's not the kind of thing that should cause any major problems. Vincent was actually talking about HDR shadow detail though as it was related to the tracking of the PQ curve in HDR mode (for HDR content) where it was a little darker than intended for darker shades. But if you test HDR mode with black level tests, including that lagom test, you can see HDR mode is better than SDR in that regard, and imo not a problem in any big way at all.

Note also that the same thing can be said for near black detail on all LCD panels - especially since black is not black on those :) not something to get hung up on at all with this Asus screen

Man of Honour
Associate
Also here's some recent investigation and testing of HDR mode, and the changes with the newer firmware - also calling out some confusion with the FW to be wary of!

Really nice write-up

I wondered about this sentence though:
"But for those who follow this trend and just leave HDR disabled all the time, the desktop didn’t look right at all and colours looked off."
Should it not have been like this
"But for those who follow this trend and just leave HDR enabled all the time, the desktop didn’t look right at all and colours looked off."

Man of Honour
Really nice write-up

I wondered about this sentence though:
"But for those who follow this trend and just leave HDR disabled all the time, the desktop didn’t look right at all and colours looked off."
Should it not have been like this
"But for those who follow this trend and just leave HDR enabled all the time, the desktop didn’t look right at all and colours looked off."
You’re right, typo! Corrected now :)

Associate
Mines has had to go back for a refund. After about 1/2 hours over several days use the screen has failed. Think I am going to pickup the LG version as the ASUS stock now is non existent.

JBNOsVZ.jpg

Ov1fwEO.jpg

PrsiOoB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I've just had a Correction and clarification from Asus for our ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM review. There is NO integrated fan on this model, it's been replaced by the heatsink for passive cooling. I've updated that section about the fan, as well as the OLED care section relating to the heatsink capabilities

Associate
Mines has had to go back for a refund. After about 1/2 hours over several days use the screen has failed. Think I am going to pickup the LG version as the ASUS stock now is non existent.

JBNOsVZ.jpg

Ov1fwEO.jpg

PrsiOoB.jpg

When you say failed are you referring to the uniformity issues?

If so did you try and run the pixel refresh/clean?

That tends to clear it up in most cases.

I appreciate it’s gone back now but just curious what the issue was.

Also with regards to stock it seems all 27inch 240hz oled are like gold dust at the minute….

Last edited:
Associate
When you say failed are you referring to the uniformity issues?

If so did you try and run the pixel refresh/clean?

That tends to clear it up in most cases.

I appreciate it’s gone back now but just curious what the issue was.

Also with regards to stock it seems all 27inch 240hz oled are like gold dust at the minute….
Yeah it was uniformity and the colours were off, for the first few days the monitor was perfect. Then turned it on last night and the following was shown, tried plugging in a different device to check it wasn't my pc but same thing.

The first image the screen is meant to be white.

Pixel cleaning done nothing unfortunately. The monitor also seems to have burn in, the cod hud was burned in even after pixel cleaning must have had about 6 hours max at most in the game.

Must have just got a bad panel, would have got a replacement as was blown away with it until yesterday but cant be without a monitor till stock arrives. Just hoping the LG brightness isn't too dull.

Associate
I've just had a Correction and clarification from Asus for our ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM review. There is NO integrated fan on this model, it's been replaced by the heatsink for passive cooling. I've updated that section about the fan, as well as the OLED care section relating to the heatsink capabilities
This is amazing. Thanks so much for clarifying this once and for all!
Now I just need it to be in stock in my country :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom