ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
I played some more BF4, 144Hz (dont know how to use 165Hz?), Gsync. I thought it was ok. What's funny I can run my 980Ti @stock and have a good feeling. With the PG278Q I need to run some overclock on the 980Ti to get a good screen response feeling.

Man of Honour
It is a lot blurrier than my XL2411Z.
Even at 120fps it feels like its smeary, and 60fps is double that, Witcher 3 is almost unplayable due to how smeary it is for me on this monitor.

60fps on the XL2411Z isnt smeary and 120 is crisp.

Being back on my XL2420T while my PG278Q is being RMA'd (seems to be a common story :|) I'm missing G-SYNC more than I thought I would but also I think the XL24 monitors are actually a little more crisp in motion than even the TN Swift - I didn't really notice it moving from the XL2420 to the Swift but notice it slightly going the other way.

Personally I'm not convinced that an IPS 120+Hz panel will ever be really good enough for high speed motion tracking.

Associate
Any reason I should hold fire on this monitor and video card?

Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red

Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti Poseidon 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX980TI-6GD5)

Total : £1,359.58

I will run monitor alongside a U2410 - I am constantly photo editing, but I would like to improve gaming experience with FPS

Associate
There will be something better in n months time, but there always is! IPS 4K 120Hz G-Sync/Freesync please. Or VR..

I'm tempted too.. waiting for review/excuse :)

Associate
I played some more BF4, 144Hz (dont know how to use 165Hz?), Gsync. I thought it was ok. What's funny I can run my 980Ti @stock and have a good feeling. With the PG278Q I need to run some overclock on the 980Ti to get a good screen response feeling.
To activate 165hz check the OC box in the menu.
Slide the slider to the top 165hz.
Message to restart monitor.
Set 165hz in the nvidia control panel.
Also... if you untick the DisplayPort Deep Sleep box the, the monitor turns on lightening quick

Last edited:
Associate
I think that the eizo foris fs2735 would be a better choice based on some of the speccs only thing is no retail outlet here its due in the winter it says

Yes by the sounds of it, I've just started looking as new tech is being rolled out - I can wait for it to settle a bit and have proper choice.

Associate
I don't post often but I've been around for a while.

So just got one of these and I also have a PG278Q (which I just RMAed and have to pickup the replacement for which arrived at my office).

The PG279Q I got has no apparent defects, I can't see any lightbleed (at least nothing like you see on smartphones and tablets), there is some glow when you have a totally dark background.

My opinion, very nice colors, feels like higher definition than PG278q alsmot. Very uniform image all over the screen, for sure it shows IPS is in another league as far as image quality.

I consider myself to being very sensitive to input lag, motion etc. I definitely feel like the PG279Q is laggier than the PG278Q, not in the input lag but on how smooth the motion appears on the screen. I feel that when you move your mouse, the speed is there, it tracks nicely the mouse movement, but the image is blurrier than on the PG278Q.

So for now, totally sold on the better image quality but not so sure about gaming performance if you are very sensitive to motion quickness/smoothness.

I'll have to try some more.
I can definitely say you're not the only one. I like my motion clarity in gaming. I don't care how high image quality is when the image is all blurred and smeary as hell. Thats why I probably won't be jumping on the IPS hype bandwagon anytime soon yet. IPS are great for movie enthousiasts, mobile devises such as smartphones and ipads, portable devices such as laptops and cameras. IPS are used by artists, movie enthousiasts, wheter its bright foto editing or other artwork related things... but not gamers. Go ahead and ready your pitchforks and call me a blasphemer, but I have never been convinced about IPS for gaming. I'd take lesser viewing angle over IPS bleed, backlight bleed and panel uniformity issues. You shouldn't play tennis while watching movies on your RoG Swift anyway. Its intended for PC gamers mainly with keyboard and mouse on a desk, not console controllers on the couch whilst eating popcorn from the other side of the room.

So lets see... PG278Q vs PG279Q, whats new really? HDMI? Seriously, don't buy a premium pc gaming monitor to play console games on it locked at 30 fps and 900p resolutions. I don't see this as an added value for me personally. Not to mention adding the extra hdmi inputs will probably remove the initial ''instant on'' feature of the RoG Swift, wich was nice imo. As for 165 Hz? Its a start I guess, but there is a point with diminishing returns and needing heavier hardware to run games at that refresh rate. I would like to see it in action with a game such as CSGO though. Removal of 3D Vision is very dissapointing as well. Original RoG Swift is still the master of backlight strobing too.

My current PG278Q has perfect backlight uniformity, with nice black colours and no ips bleed. Tbh, only reason I see why Asus decided to jump the IPS hype bandwagon is due to a cult following started by the likes of LinusTechTips with Acer's most recent IPS 144Hz panel. Overated is all I have to say though. Maybe I'l wait for 4K 144Hz OLED tecvhnology, lets see what drawbacks it will have besides the price.

I think the PG279Q appears to be more of a hybrid multi-purpose monitor, rather then ''premium gaming'' it stands for.

Associate
Just shot a bit of video of Witcher 3 starting from desktop at 165hz
The start of the video picks up the glow in bottom right but I can barely see it in a pitch black room.
Gives a bit idea of fps

The Witcher 3 on the Asus PG279Q
OC 165hz
RPG mode G-Sync On
Nvidia GeForce EVGA GTX 980ti
Nvidia GeForce Experience OPTIMAL settings

https://youtu.be/EHp6qvQZI5Q

This time with G-Sync OFF

https://youtu.be/PhZlFzJ3MXY

Also recorded a bit of COD and the fps barely drop below 150

https://youtu.be/C3A57FAt3VA

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Again asus disappoint me quality is bad, bezel have marks out of box, can see white dot on light background..... for that price? really :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Second monitor arrived today for my brothers machine. Tested with zero dead pixels or dirt and identical performance to my display. Brothers very happy and about to stick it on his wall mount for him :)

Thats three Units Overclockers have sold via me with my mate picking one (also faultless) up on recommendation lol. ASUS need to start sending me their stuff at a discount ;)

Associate
Second monitor arrived today for my brothers machine. Tested with zero dead pixels or dirt and identical performance to my display. Brothers very happy and about to stick it on his wall mount for him :)

Thats three Units Overclockers have sold via me with my mate picking one (also faultless) up on recommendation lol. ASUS need to start sending me their stuff at a discount ;)

you won lottery congratulations!!! you check properly you will find something or simple people don't care

Back
Top Bottom