Asus UL30A

Soldato
It's a huge step up from an atom netbook, just as portable but with better battery, much faster and a proper sized keyboard, go for it!

Awesome, just feels like a "too good to be true" moment but all I can find is primarily positive stuff for this baby. My credit card might frown but I'm having this!

Soldato
I'm finding it unusually hard to decide about this laptop, I had a play and it's not exactly the best built device I've used. It's this ASUS vs. a well made and reliable Lenovo thinkpad I'm considering, whilst the thinkpad is slower I know it won't break and it's performance isn't terrible. Either one I will be buying in the states for a nice discount, at the moment the thinkpad is edging it, just.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind a Vaio myself, I can't justify paying twice the price for roughly the same thing (poorer battery life, more powerful and sleek, but apart from that...). If it doesn't come out before my summer holiday, Vaio it will be.

do you know what the price is likely to be for the jc? you say vaio is double price but i can't see any mentions on how much the jc will be in uk

Soldato
1000 euros. Don't how much it will be in 'rip off' pounds.

The PL80jt is available for preorder for $1600 australian. That converts to £950, but I doubt it will be that high. If it's not competitive, I'll bet a Vaio anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
So how are these bad boys going? Anyone got electrocuted yet or hear back from Asus?

Also one more question, does it run crysis?

Caught between a decision of getting this one now, or waiting till I am on holiday and getting the UL30VT for About 100 more.

twe

twe

Associate
Have Asus got back to you on the issue yet? They haven't replied to me... yet.

They only sent 1 email back to say that they have passed on the details to R&D and will get back to me. But that was 2-3 weeks ago now :(

Main issue I still have is with the touchpad, it's still a bit finicky and it double taps when I want to scroll or move the cursor. I do use the arrow keys more than the touchpad for scrolling webpages as its so much easier. The multi-touch is still bit of a joke I think.

twe

twe

Associate
So how are these bad boys going? Anyone got electrocuted yet or hear back from Asus?

Also one more question, does it run crysis?

Caught between a decision of getting this one now, or waiting till I am on holiday and getting the UL30VT for About 100 more.

This won't be able to play anything that demanding, even the UL30VT will struggle with dedicated graphics. You should probably wait a month then as even the UL30JT might be out by then which will be next step above the UL30VT.

Soldato
Main issue I still have is with the touchpad, it's still a bit finicky and it double taps when I want to scroll or move the cursor. I do use the arrow keys more than the touchpad for scrolling webpages as its so much easier. The multi-touch is still bit of a joke I think.

What drivers are you using? At first use, the touchpad was terrible, after installing the latest Synaptic drivers (read, not Elan drivers) its much better, not perfect mind, but perfectly usable.

Otherwise, this machine is pretty good at the price. Obviously build quality is imperfect in places although thats what I expected. I'm happy, performance seems good, though it took a while to sort through the hoarde of crap pre-installed.

twe

twe

Associate
What drivers are you using? At first use, the touchpad was terrible, after installing the latest Synaptic drivers (read, not Elan drivers) its much better, not perfect mind, but perfectly usable.

Otherwise, this machine is pretty good at the price. Obviously build quality is imperfect in places although thats what I expected. I'm happy, performance seems good, though it took a while to sort through the hoarde of crap pre-installed.

Yeh the elan drivers were pretty bad, the cursor was jumping quite a lot. Asus linked me to some synaptic drivers, they were newer than the ones on the synaptic website but still dated december 2009 [tried to install over the asus linked drivers and a warning message came up saying that the drivers on my laptop were newer]... Which drivers are you using right now?

edit: drivers say 20th october 2009, can you link me to the ones you got so I can try them out? Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went laptop shopping today and was lucky enough to get to test the ASUS. I'm not impressed to be honest. From a technical standpoint I think they are excellent, from a build quality point of view I was disappointed. Still I think they are great value, but personally I'm looking at the Vaio E series now, or a T series thinkpad. The ASUS felt flimsy at best.

Back
Top Bottom