At what age did you know what you wanted to do for a living?

Associate
Knew I wanted to design games when I was in High School; went to college and studied media Moving Image, went to Uni for a year to do "Games Design", quit that after a year as it was rather rubbish and then landed a job as a games tester at Lionhead. Been working in games ever since (5 and a half years) and now working as a Designer on a AAA Xbox 360 and PS3 game :).

Edit: Forgot to say I'm 24 now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ever since I was about 4 years old.

[

I made that out of old bog rolls, cornflake boxes and tin foil.

Robots & design are my thing.

I now do this & allot of design consultancy work.

Awesome :)

very similar to you, however at 15, I noticed i like race cars, and so shifted my linkings of engineering toward one off high precision engineering i.e. Race cars, Aerospace, and so on.

Associate
when I was 16 I Started to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver in college and decided I wanted to be a web developer. Currently taking a gap year and starting uni in September.

Oh I also learnt PHP MySql in college too.

I'm 18 at the moment

Associate
At 13 I wanted to be a Scuba diving instructor and a Musician.

I'm now 24. Been teaching diving for the last 6 years now. Places such as Thailand, Greece and now down here in Cornwall, Love it to bits.

as for the music side, I am in 3 bands and I manage 5 others.

life is good!

I set goals I was passionate about and achieved every one. Its easy if you really want it.

Associate
I had zero idea when finishing school and so ended up in a dead end admin job.

Following redundancy I decided that I wanted to be an engineer at 30 and then a chemical engineer at 31. I only really knew that this was the right choice at 33 following a site visit to a large chemical / process plant.

I've now finished the degree at 36 and I'm looking forward to the future. Hopefully no more career changes!

Soldato
Neither really had any idea of a dream job or career. I did fancy being a gunsmith, but apprenticeships at gunmakers were rarer than hen’s teeth back in the early 1980s.

Ended up making missiles at BAe before ditching that to work oil and gas in the North Sea for a whole 9 months. Get back to dry land and worked at Marconi’s before blagging my way into the mobile phone industry which kept me in beer vouchers for the last 20 years until I quit the U.K.

Man of Honour
Knew I wanted to work in IT from about age 9, at 25 I'm still figuring out where exactly I see myself within the industry. Working on a CCNA as I know wherever I go it's going to be on the infrastructure/administrator side, ideally in a creative industry but we'll see. 25 is no age in the grand scheme of things so i'm not in any rush.

FFS, another necro, gotta start reading the dates before i read the entire thread! Be interesting to see if any previous posters have changed direction.

Back
Top Bottom