• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Associate
Can somene post how to get this working on 5 series?
http://www.geeks3d.com/20101023/tips-what-is-the-morphological-anti-aliasing-mlaa/

How enable MLAA with Catalyst drivers?

MLAA support is provided by the Catalyst 10.10a (hotfix) and is automatically enabled on Radeon HD 6800. But it’s disabled on Radeon HD 5000. Why? Only AMD knows the answer…

How to enable MLAA on Radeon HD 5000 series?

Just download this file: C7106976.txt.

Go in
C: \ AMD \ Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21 \ Packages\ Drivers \ Display \ W7_INF \

and replace all the content of C7106976.inf by the content of C7106976.txt. Or delete C7106976.inf and rename C7106976.txt in C7106976.inf, as you want ;)

Do the same thing for

C: \ AMD \ Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21 \ Packages\ Drivers \ Display \ W76A_INF \

Now you’re ready to install the Cat10.10a. Then install it. At the end of the installation, reboot Windows.

Edit:- Too slow.

Soldato
The only killer is that it seems to blur the image quite badly. I'll have to give it a try to see if it makes a difference in motion, but the screenies do look quite "soft" and I think that'd bug me.

Man of Honour
Does seem to make the images softer and duller - whites aren't quite so white, reds aren't so vibrant, etc. tho it does smooth edges better than I thought - I would have thought the jitter sampling would have induced more artifacts than is so far apparent.

Associate
Yup, looks like AMD users won't be shut out from AA anymore...
Whilst I'm not denying that it works and for any/all games, it's a bit like (and I know this is an exaggeration) smearing vaseline across the screen. I don't think it's a real substitute for the more traditional forms of AA, particularly if you want high image quality.

Soldato
Does seem to make the images softer and duller - whites aren't quite so white, reds aren't so vibrant, etc. tho it does smooth edges better than I thought - I would have thought the jitter sampling would have induced more artifacts than is so far apparent.

Softer yes but change of vibrancy no & i have looked real careful & cut & pasted the images in paint & checked the colour values.

What your suggesting would mean a tint filter which this is not.

Soldato
^^ yeah does look overly soft, but hey it's for free and I would use it where I couldn't force standard AA in games. This feature is great for cards that struggle with normal AA.

Soldato
@ crackbear

Judging by the screen shot's it doesn't look like that to me personally.
But I do think it could do with a touch of sharpening to add contrast between the pixels.

Personally though I could see myself using this AA as standard, especially gaming at 2560x1600...

Man of Honour
Softer yes but change of vibrancy no & i have looked real careful & cut & pasted the images in paint & checked the colour values.

What your suggesting would mean a tint filter which this is not.

Well it certainly looks less vibrant even if its actually not. Not sure what you mean with the tint filter as that would imply a deliberate effect which is not what I'm saying.

Back
Top Bottom