Audi owners in here!

Man of Honour
Went to BMW after that, picked up 2 (1L) bottles for £9 and a great BMW bag as well!

And they say BMW is expensive!

The BMW stuff is weird, they have several different types at various concentration levels.

They even do a 50ml one that is diluted 1:100 for about £2.50. But if you buy the 1 litre bottle it's only 1:10 and costs about £6.50 :confused:

Soldato
It's probably the same engine running with the turbo set to produce more engine power.
This is pretty common, diesel and petrol engines designed to run from 100bhp to 220bhp with the only difference being the boost pressure.
Common misconception, they are very rarely the same. Same block - sure, same engine - no.

Soldato
Does one really need to buy branded screen wash?

Personally I only use the Audi/VW one in my car. I've tried the old ready mixed screen wash that you can buy litres of at the petrol station/halfords and it just left streaks all over the window.

I find the Audi one leaves it nice and clean which is what you want when the window is covered in salt. :o

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27298328 said:
The BMW stuff is weird, they have several different types at various concentration levels.

They even do a 50ml one that is diluted 1:100 for about £2.50. But if you buy the 1 litre bottle it's only 1:10 and costs about £6.50 :confused:

Unfortunately it looks like the 50ml version doesn't include anti-freeze :( Great option for spring and summer though!

Last edited:
Soldato

The 2.0T does make some racket :( Might need a replacement cam chain tensioner though, very common to go. Just had mine done, the diesel-esque noise got worse and worse over time until it sounded like something was seriously up.

Just a heads up though; got a new one put in and it accentuated another problem; some gear thing (can't remember the name of it, looks like a hockey puck the size of my hand) went when the replacement tensioner went it, sounded hellish. Worth getting them both looked over on the one run as it's a £400 part.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The 2.0T does make some racket :( Might need a replacement cam chain tensioner though, very common to go. Just had mine done, the diesel-esque noise got worse and worse over time until it sounded like something was seriously up.

Just a heads up though; got a new one put in and it accentuated another problem; some gear thing (can't remember the name of it, looks like a hockey puck the size of my hand) went when the replacement tensioner went it, sounded hellish. Worth getting them both looked over on the one run as it's a £400 part.
Cheers for that. How much did you pay for the replacement tensioner? Did you get a new chain and adjuster at the same time?

Was the £400 for the replacement of the "hockey puck" or for the part alone?? :eek:
Hockey puck is the diverter valve if it's what I think it is. Easy to DIY this.
I reckon the "hockey puck" is the cam follower. They are known to wear out.

Volkswagen_Audi_FSI_Cam_Follower.jpg

Soldato
I think the 'puck' on the PCV valve is plastic? It was a solid metal thing(good bit of weight to it) that took a bit of work to get out, they kept the car overnight.. I'll try and find out what part it was. @mjt: £400 was for the part alone. I got labour free because they didn't spot it was faulty when doing the tensioner job/post-testing.

Definitely wasn't the cam follower.

Cheers for that. How much did you pay for the replacement tensioner? Did you get a new chain and adjuster at the same time?

Was the £400 for the replacement of the "hockey puck" or for the part alone?? :eek:

Job for replacement tensioner and chain was just a smudge under £400 all in. There's a tool that locks the cams so no stripping required as far as I know.

£800 all in for me though because that other thingy failed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom