Audi owners in here!

Associate
I'd buy that in snow conditions, but not anything else.

I think ESP saved your bacon rather than 4WD.

Stability control saved my arse a number of times when I was younger and drove like an idiot.
Ive never owned a car with ESP the wife's car has it but ive always ran older stuff that's never had any off these new driver aids.. ABS is a step up for me.. when I was younger my stability control was being able to balance the tail out with the throttle...

[TW]Fox;29071009 said:
Unless you live in the highlands or you've got an Audi with 300bhp+ I honestly don't see the value in Quattro - it adds complexity, increases tyre wear and significantly increases fuel consumption for what real benefit really? I just don't see the point in it in low power A4's.
I live rural so we do see the benefit of the quattro even with it being an oil burner.. the wife even uses my old A4 in the bad weather rather than her seat Leon

as for fuel consumption I reckon im 5 to 8 mpg worse off compared to the old 2wd A4 we had with the same engine.

Soldato
Was testing my Quattro in the snow over the weekend and I can fairly say the only benefit is allowing me to go faster. Slowing down wise, I may as well have been sitting in a 2 tonne block of metal.

The grip etc. is amazing in high speed corners, albeit you have to make sure you foot is on the accelerator the whole time. Lift off and the car will just under steer and send you towards something solid :(

Soldato
Yep, well quattro isn't going to overcome grip on snow now. That is what winter tyres are for, and why I often pass Audi Quattros and Range Rovers in ditches, while my 5 series runs fine.

Soldato
When I lived in Newbury a few years ago there is a fairly steep long hill going up to wash common and when it snows it gets very challenging. I remember seeing lots of Beemers and Mercs stuck unable to get up. Some careful FWD cars got up and I also saw an A6 go flying up there without even struggling.

Associate
Yep, well quattro isn't going to overcome grip on snow now. That is what winter tyres are for, and why I often pass Audi Quattros and Range Rovers in ditches, while my 5 series runs fine.

I cant argue there.. I ran E30's for years and was never scared to take it out in them out in the snow. always got to where I was going and back without any problems.

but I must admit.. set of winter tyres on the old A4 quattro and it goes anywhere I want it to.

Associate
[TW]Fox;29070877 said:
Are you seriously saying there are multiple occasions where if you'd have been in an FWD A4 instead of a Quattro A4 you'd have crashed? Really?!

I take it you mean 2wd?

Yes there have been at least two occasions when I would have possibly lost the back end on unseen ice without the Quattro 4WD system.

Soldato
Well I'm heading down Saturday to view the car, with a view to buy.

Never bought a car privately, so any help is appreciated.

I've already agreed that I can take the car out for a test drive. I asked if I could pay via bank transfer but he hasn't replied.

I'll get my own insurance for the day. But what about other things. Will I need to tax it on the day too, or can I drive it home and do this at my convenience?

Don
I'll get my own insurance for the day. But what about other things.

If it's just for the test drive then do you already have an insurance policy that covers you to "drive other vehicles with owners permission".
Normally for actual insurance I get a quote saved for the car beforehand with my preferred insurance company - then after buying just ring up and activate it, paying any up front payment over the phone.

Will I need to tax it on the day too, or can I drive it home and do this at my convenience?

You can tax it over the phone as soon as you buy it in most cases.

Might be worth printing of something like
http://www.whatcar.com/images/subscription/usedcarreceipt.pdf

just as a copy to store all details, record of price paid and anything else agreed.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's just for the test drive then do you already have an insurance policy that covers you to "drive other vehicles with owners permission".
Normally for actual insurance I get a quote saved for the car beforehand with my preferred insurance company - then after buying just ring up and activate it, paying any up front payment over the phone.

I have all intentions of buying the car, so was thinking a days insurance through my current insurer would be easiest/less hassle. So I can drive away after the sale.

My current policy would allow me to test drive the car.

Can the tax be done online as well?

Back
Top Bottom