Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Pretty much i think. There's also a case for how all 4 wheels are driven through transmission and differential/s.

Generally 4WD is split between the axles such that each exle always has tractive force.

AWD is for systems when the torque can move between the axles but has a mode where the car is 2WD only. (I say 2WD as it can be Front or Rear axle only depending on the base system layout.)

Associate
He needs to write quattro with out a captal Q then, as thats the tech. Quattro is the coupe ;)

you are correct. I always cringe when I see it written with a capital
Quattro (meaning four in Italian) is the sub-brand used by the car brand Audi AG to indicate that all-wheel drive (AWD) technologies or systems are used on specific models of its Audi automobiles.[1] It is also Audi's actual performance division alongside S and RS

The word "quattro" is a registered trademark of Audi AG, a subsidiary of the German automotive concern, Volkswagen Group.[1]

Quattro was first introduced in 1980 on the permanent four wheel drive Audi Quattro model, often referred to as the Ur-Quattro ("Ur-" is a German prefix that means "original" or "first"). The term quattro has since been applied to all subsequent Audi AWD models. Due to the nomenclature rights derived from the trademark, the word quattro is now always spelled with a lower case "q", in honour of its former namesake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four-wheel-drive_system))

Last edited:
Soldato
See, I didn't 'know that' Paradigm. Hence I responded to him in the first place.

Prompted really by his championing of a system that he doesnt know how it really works suggesting similar events in a FWD would have crashed, nor how its even written.

Associate
See, I didn't 'know that' Paradigm. Hence I responded to him in the first place.

Prompted really by his championing of a system that he doesnt know how it really works suggesting similar events in a FWD would have crashed, nor how its even written.

the quattro system is a good system. the center torsen differential splits the power 50/50 under normal driving conditions. if it detects slip it can put up to 80% of its power to either the front or the rear wheels. on the more modern system where more electrics are involved it can even go as far as applying a single brake so it will then put more power to a single wheel where required.
( ESP stability control )

mines being the old B5 A4 it doesnt have any electrical components and its an entirely mechanical system. which in my eyes is better as theirs less to go wrong.

I would still have a modern quattro system over the haldex system though as the haldex system has far too many electrical parts in my eyes.

Associate
Your right it could have been the ESP but I do have 40yrs driving experience and certainly don't drive like an idiot.

surely you must know the skill of driving a car without any of the modern driving aids?

I was brought up driving RWD cars and have mostly ran RWD cars.
I had a few Audi 80 coupes as I liked the style of them and also had a 1984 Quattro coupe years ago. but I mainly drove RWD cars. over the last 10 years since ive been with my wife I mainly had a works van and I had my old E30 but the wife always had a practical family car.. ( golf, Mondeo, passat's and a few A4's ) shes now got a seat Leon and now ive not got a works van ive got the old A4 quattro avant. its practical for me and for where we now live its a handy tool during the bad weather.. Im hoping to get another RWD toy once the kids are a bit older but that's been delayed now!!

Associate
surely you must know the skill of driving a car without any of the modern driving aids?

I was brought up driving RWD cars and have mostly ran RWD cars.
I had a few Audi 80 coupes as I liked the style of them and also had a 1984 Quattro coupe years ago. but I mainly drove RWD cars. over the last 10 years since ive been with my wife I mainly had a works van and I had my old E30 but the wife always had a practical family car.. ( golf, Mondeo, passat's and a few A4's ) shes now got a seat Leon and now ive not got a works van ive got the old A4 quattro avant. its practical for me and for where we now live its a handy tool during the bad weather.. Im hoping to get another RWD toy once the kids are a bit older but that's been delayed now!!

Yes, but it is nice to have the quattro system underneath you.
Note to myself: Must use lower case q to satisfy those concerned. Jeez I thought this was a friendly forum not a test of ones spelling and grammer :D

Associate
Yes, but it is nice to have the quattro system underneath you.
Note to myself: Must use lower case q to satisfy those concerned. Jeez I thought this was a friendly forum not a test of ones spelling and grammer :D
this is a friendly forum... you should see some of the responses on the UR Quattro forum....

but yea the quattro system does inspire confidence when pushing it on a bit. where I live every road home is a twisty road so the quattro system lets you come up the road a bit harder than you would in a 2WD car.

mines being the older system you can provoke the rear end out in the wet.

even though mines is an old oil burner it has been tampered with and can give my mates golf 130 pd gttdi a showing up on the road home. :D

Associate
this is a friendly forum... you should see some of the responses on the UR Quattro forum....

but yea the quattro system does inspire confidence when pushing it on a bit. where I live every road home is a twisty road so the quattro system lets you come up the road a bit harder than you would in a 2WD car.

mines being the older system you can provoke the rear end out in the wet.

even though mines is an old oil burner it has been tampered with and can give my mates golf 130 pd gttdi a showing up on the road home. :D

I live in a valley and some of the roads are quite steep so quattro is definitely a bonus in winter.

Associate
I live in a valley and some of the roads are quite steep so quattro is definitely a bonus in winter.
were the other way round. were up in the hills.

coming from our nearest main town which is Falkirk you come up a 6 mile twisty road which climbs up steep hills all the way.

the wife's seat Leon being the 1.6tdi needs dropped down to 3rd on occasions where as since the A4 has been remapped I can get it to climb the biggest part of the road in 5th only dropping to 4th on a few bits of the road.

our old 1.4tdi Polo was terrible.. it was down to 2nd gear on parts of the road. it didint help the fuel economy much. we bought the Polo for the wife to use and in the year that we had it it done less than 300 miles as she used the A4 more as it could cope with the road better.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Heres a boring question for owners of the current A6, hows the back seat for space, im looking at new company cars, and one of the cars on my list, is the S line A6, but i need a car that can accomodate 2 baby seats and a regular human in between them, could someone measure up for me, or post up a pic?

My A4 is pretty small in the back, so i wont be looking at a new one of them.

Man of Honour
Heres a boring question for owners of the current A6, hows the back seat for space, im looking at new company cars, and one of the cars on my list, is the S line A6, but i need a car that can accomodate 2 baby seats and a regular human in between them, could someone measure up for me, or post up a pic?

My A4 is pretty small in the back, so i wont be looking at a new one of them.

If you can hold off long enough the obvious choice is the all new E Class. An absolutely stunning car that is going to go directly to the top of the class and make the A6 look and feel like a dull oversized A4.

Permabanned
Sadly i have to have the order in by april. I want a big estate/suv, and theres sadly not that many cars that can accomodate 2 seats and a person in the back.

So its either the A6 S line Avant,Xc60 R design lux, or ???? The 520 is out of budget, im not prepared to pay a hefty personal contribution for a car thats gonna be replaced in 2017 and i dont want the 518. Sadly opting out isnt allowed :(

Depressing that ride,handling and 0-60 times are no longer the top of my list of requirements :p

Man of Honour
Strange the 520 is out of budget, it's priced to compete with the A6. It's being replaced in 2017 but it's still generationally the same as the A6.

Permabanned
The scheme is wierd, at the moment, the company have negotiated better deals with VAG,Volvo,Mazda and Toyota. With pretty much all the BMW's i need to pay a sizeable personal contribution, which would mean, even a 520 SE would cost me 320 plus a month, where as the Audi and Volvo are nearer 200, and thats with Private fuel.

Soldato
Just seen your post on PH. I agree it's not really enough to catch up but atleast it's a step (in house product so a lot cheaper per car)

Just pay the extra for the top spec if that floats your boat 10" main and TFT cluster with super spec hardware underneath.

Back
Top Bottom