Audi owners in here!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29080452 said:
So you almost never drive your nearly new 5 Series Estate because the kids fit better in the Alhambra. That's kinda fair enough, though a massive waste of money all the same. So you want to change it for... a car thats even smaller?! Surely that'll just sit on the drive never being used as well.

I already have the car that does most of the driving. Something big, and relatively efficient. So what I don't really need is another big, relatively efficient car. What I would like, is something that will still take the kids on the occasional trip, but something a bit more fun for the "pleasure" driving I do. The 5 series is ok for that, but it's far from the best car out there for that purpose. A 911 or a Cayman wont work so well with the kids.

So yes, it is a bit of a waste of money just now, it wasn't for the last 2 years though. But circumstances change. That said, it does make for a nice car to take out when we get babysitters or anything like that, and we get away on our own.

Yes, it will likely mostly sit on the drive not being used. But when it is being used, it'll be far more fun. Which is the point.

Having previously owned S4's and other relatively quick cars, I would like another. The 5 series is too much of a barge to be "properly" nice in the twisties. I'm sure the S4 isn't ideal either, and the Golf R has gotten great reviews for driving characteristics. Easily as good a reviews as the RS3. But the RS3 does sound monstrous, and would be a lovely car to own for a while (albeit not a £60k one. Was really looking forward to Max Powahs thoughts had he not taken the huff).

I did spot that epic S8 rental deal a few months back, and it did tempt me. But it would have been even more of a barge. And the S6, which I was also considering, will be just as much a barge as the 5 series.

Why does every OcUK post turn into a nit-picking quest !?!?!

Your statement would be relevant if he said the children needed more space, he didn't, he said he needed more space. (Which the Golf R Estate offers).

Go nit-pick somewhere else :p

This. I say I already have a big car, and it gets used most of the time because of that. So I am looking to swap my other big car for something more fun.

Then get jumped on because it's smaller? That's pretty much EXACTLY the point of the swap.

Anyway, people obviously don't view their car ownership in the same way as myself. I obviously don't see the problem with having a cheaper, bigger motor for the daily duties / kid shifting, and having a nicer, more fun car for the fun driving. I would have thought this view would have been easily accepted on here, but apparently there are too many nits to pick with that view.

Last edited:
Associate
Having previously owned S4's and other relatively quick cars, I would like another. The 5 series is too much of a barge to be "properly" nice in the twisties. I'm sure the S4 isn't ideal either, and the Golf R has gotten great reviews for driving characteristics. Easily as good a reviews as the RS3. But the RS3 does sound monstrous, and would be a lovely car to own for a while (albeit not a £60k one. Was really looking forward to Max Powahs thoughts had he not taken the huff).

My issue with trying to rationalise your ideas here is that my experience with other cars is limited to my Clio 197 and mine and my dads 370z and various vans.

I love my Rs3 and when I drove one and the A45 back to back it was by far the better car on the day. I thought about waiting for the FL A45 but I just couldn't see how it could make up for its short comings.

The Rs3 is awesome fun and very capable. The thing I love most about the car probably is with drive select, mag ride and gearbox modes you can totally change the cars behaviour which is nice when your stuck in traffic etc.

The interior is also very nice and you have a useable set of rear seats.

You all say "I wouldn't buy a 50k one" however most of the best options are extras and not cheap ones at that. Most people on the rs3 forums have specced cars up to 50k and beyond with custom colours etc, there is shortly going to be the option to spec the seats from the new r8 and carbon ceramics as well.

My negatives so far are the steering could be sharper even in dynamic mode I think the Clio 197 is more direct.

Man of Honour
This. I say I already have a big car, and it gets used most of the time because of that. So I am looking to swap my other big car for something more fun.

Then get jumped on because it's smaller? That's pretty much EXACTLY the point of the swap.

Because you've kept saying you rarely ever go anywhere without the kids and therefore you never use the other car. Surely the best thing to do rather than get another expensive car to hardly use is to bin off both the Alhambra *and* the 5 Series and get one really nice car that you can use - big SUV perhaps?

Doing 90% of your driving in an old banger whilst a really nice car sits on the drive depreciating or costing money in lease payments is always going to seem strange to most people, hence the reaction, thats all.

What about an X5, XC90 or something and a cheap toy for the occasional thrills?

Soldato
Why does every OcUK post turn into a nit-picking quest !?!?!

Your statement would be relevant if he said the children needed more space, he didn't, he said he needed more space. (Which the Golf R Estate offers).

Go nit-pick somewhere else :p

It's hardly nit picking, he said he needed more space FOR THE KIDS, which is why he drives around in an old Seat MPV

Soldato
I did look at that. Getting a 4x4. But having looked around them all, the Discovery is what I'd want. And I can't get one just now, because it'll be due an update. They are essentially the same car from 2004 (obviously they aren't really, but they look very alike). So the same issues as current A5's (to keep the discussion relative to the thread we are in).

So can't change yet for a 4x4. Not yet. And they aren't really economical enough for doing almost 20k per year in. Plus I can't go down to one car as my family definitely need at least 2 cars on occasion.

Anyway, when I say hardly use, I really mean 5-8k per year. Compared to the 15-18k in my other car. Which is as much as many on here do in their car. So while its not used as much, there is still enough use to warrant getting something nice.

Soldato
It is hardly used in comparison to what it used to do. I mean it's only done around 1500 miles since the end of October, compared to the SEAT doing nearer 4000 miles.

It's all relative really. Hardly used for me is obviously fully utilised for you. But when doing these sorts of low miles, I don't need a big diesel estate. I can go for a smaller, faster petrol estate (I like estates).

Soldato
Right, I'm viewing the Audi tomorrow

Tried to have a look online at things to look out for on the 1.8T engine, but it's almost a mine field!

Could anyone give me a list of checks to do? And what things I should be looking for, and if found, run a mile?

Caporegime
To be brutally honest, unless the 1.8T is making a lot of unhealthy noises, they are quite a decent engine. Granted they like to play EML bingo from time to time, but not usually in a way that leaves you stranded (most of the time either continuing to function fine - i'm looking at you N249 valve, or dropping into limp-home mode - in the case of an overboost or the like).

Just check when the last time the cam chain tensioner was done (yes, chain. Sure, the engine has a cambelt, but it also has an internal chain), and if you can hear a slapping/clunking chain at the opposite end of the block from the cambelt, then it likely needs doing.

You might also get coil-pack problems, but I'd like to think any 1.8T still running today would have had newer revisions installed.

Associate
not sure if the newer 20v engine is much different to the older one.
but on the B5 A4 things to check was the condition of the oil. make sure its cold when you start it let it idle while cold and listen for any rattles from the chain tensioner.
( there is a timing belt but theirs a chain that runs in between the 2 cams )

again give it a run get it up to temp then let it idle and again listen for any rattles from the chain or tensioner oil light flickering. they can suffer bad from the oil pick up pipe from clogging up with sludge which then drops the oil pressure and the chain tensioner slackens off.

ask about the front suspension arms. listen for any knocks or bangs from the front as the suspension arms can be an expensive job. ( even doing it yourself for a good set of arms you can be over £400 ) check for any uneven tyre wear. make sure its driving straight.

if you can check under the battery for any water sitting. the drains under the battery are bad for getting chocked and it fills up with water which can then get through the seals beside the ecu and pollen filter.

should also say.. my mate had the B5 A4 1.8t that was still running with 250k on it.. it was regularly serviced and ran well. so keep on top of the servicing and maintenance and they are pretty bullet proof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I bought her.

Couldn't hear any bad noises coming from the engine bay. Steering and suspension felt very good on test drive, brakes were also good. Engine and gearbox felt solid. Only thing was the power felt lacking on the test drive, but when I took her home, felt much better. I may have just been used to the power band in the ST too much and the low down torque.

Few chips and scratches, but nothing major. The headlights and one rear light cluster have condensation. Is there a fix for this?

Belt was done @80k miles in 2010. So this is probably due very soon

Anyway here are the pics, apologies for poor quality, and the muck!

SYzvHZWl.jpg

7Oe4HaXl.jpg

lHiMvFkl.jpg

RoObkNtl.jpg

EEtRAGal.jpg

Soldato
Thanks, I'm chuffed with it. Always been a huge fan of the B6 shape. The paintwork is in really good condition, not faded or dull.

If I can run it 2-3 years without creating huge bills then I can effectively throw it away and not be out of pocket. But I plan to maintain it and run it for as long as possible.

It's a very nice place to be inside, the seats are fairly comfy and everything is nicely laid out. I think the biggest jump from the Focus is the refinement, very little road/wind noise, solid feel to everything. Was a pleasure to drive home from Shrewsbury!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Looks really good for the price paid, I actually think that these have dated better than the equivalent BM or Mercedes. Not bad at all :)

Associate
looking good Ross.
the A4 is a nice place to be. the 1.8T hasn't got the low down torque that you'll be used to with the St but as you say there nice and refined.

I do a fair bit of towing so I like the low down torque of the diesel plus the 50+mpg helps.

Soldato
No towing will be done here!!

I'm actually really surprised with the economy already, I'm guessing the fuel tank is much bigger than the ST, but the range on the computer was 505. I've done ~300 miles already and the needle has just gone under the 1/2 marker.

Back
Top Bottom